1. May 18, 2018  

Most OP defensive spec in history?

I remember towards the end of wotlk, I spec’d prot/holy on my pala, combining ret relentless gear with holy relentless gear to get double 100 resilience bonus and get as much spellpower as possible through the deep prot talent+spellpwr from gear and getting glyph of divine plea, salvation and righteous fury for max defense.

To sum it up, the enemy would have to damage me through sacred shield, 64% armor from plate&shield, 24% res, 2400 spellpower (which ofc empowers sacred shield), blessing of sanctuary(3% dmg reduction was it?), glyphs (salvation 20% reduction when enabled)+ endless mana with divine plea renewing every melee hit and strong holy light heals.

Tried it yesterday, and people could max crit me for 3k, usually 2k.

I love this spec.

2. May 18, 2018  
    Till u meet a bis arms war and die in 2 seconds.

Probably demo lock in vanila if you talk about pvp.

3. May 18, 2018  
    I dueled a bis warrior, and he couldn’t do much either sooo...

4. May 18, 2018  
    I dueled a bis warrior, and he couldn’t do much either sooo...
    I really really, doubt that.

5. May 18, 2018  
    I think this question depends on lot of things and perceptions.

For starters, what do you class as a "defensive spec"? A lot of specs can be made for offense, but shine the most when playing defensively. Or they can shine more when you play offensively but with a defensive spec. A good examples of this can be Feral Druids and Discipline Priests in TBC.

Next is the issue of how you percieve "defense". A tank is a typical icon of a defensive spec, like for instance holy paladin in Vanilla/Wotlk. A survivor is more like a resto druid in TBC, they may be a bit more squishy but they certainly never really die unless they get ganged up on. You can even stretch this to go so far as to say a rogue/cat got the best defense due to stealth.

In the end I believe it comes down to what you percieve as most tanky: A defensive class that takes little damage or a class that is great at surviving and wether or not you count healers seperately from dps.
    Edited: May 18, 2018

6. May 18, 2018  
    Till u meet a bis arms war and die in 2 seconds.

Probably demo lock in vanila if you talk about pvp.
    any pally spec in wrath beats arms pallys and dks were so op'ed its not even funny and when it comes to dueling dks and pallys beat arms easy and its not even close.
    i dont get why people like you alwasy say/think arms was op'ed in wrath and the fact is arms was bad for most of wrath and the worse spec/class in game during s5. after many many class fixes arms was alot better but no where near to that of dks or pallys. yes arms did great damage in bis gear backed by a healer but what class don't? a skilled dk or pally in bis gear backed by a healer could put out just as much damage as arms without having to be babysat as much and have much better self healing.

go watch dks' vs pally's videos during wrath then tell me again arms could have any chance at winning that fight when it last 15 mins becasue of so much self healing. giving any class spec that much spec healing and top end damage is ******ed even more so when some specs cant heal and are only = to other in damage.

even in BC the whole prot/ret tankadin spec or what ever its called is a total troll spec to other melee, bubble 100% self heal lots of armour block and can dish out some damage.

7. May 18, 2018  
    I really really, doubt that.
    Yeah, but then again, you havent tried that setup like I have.
    It’s the most godlike thing i ever played, and aside from the people barely getting through your sacred shield, you also have utility like avenger shield silence for when teammate is nuking.

8. May 18, 2018  
    any pally spec in wrath beats arms pallys and dks were so op'ed its not even funny and when it comes to dueling dks and pallys beat arms easy and its not even close.
    i dont get why people like you alwasy say/think arms was op'ed in wrath and the fact is arms was bad for most of wrath and the worse spec/class in game during s5. after many many class fixes arms was alot better but no where near to that of dks or pallys. yes arms did great damage in bis gear backed by a healer but what class don't? a skilled dk or pally in bis gear backed by a healer could put out just as much damage as arms without having to be babysat as much and have much better self healing.

go watch dks' vs pally's videos during wrath then tell me again arms could have any chance at winning that fight when it last 15 mins becasue of so much self healing. giving any class spec that much spec healing and top end damage is ******ed even more so when some specs cant heal and are only = to other in damage.

even in BC the whole prot/ret tankadin spec or what ever its called is a total troll spec to other melee, bubble 100% self heal lots of armour block and can dish out some damage.
    Arms war/holy paladin.

9. May 18, 2018  
    In a 15min match with heal+dd vs heal+dd, the selfheal of the dd doesn´t matter. If a healer is capable of healing his dd for 15min, he can do it for another hour as well. You do not slowly grind down your enemy, so that self heal of an dd would come in handy. It is not overall dmg or heal that ends a high rated match, for most it is a single situation, a tiny mistake, that ends a match.

If you think that overall dps in bg or arena for ret,dk or arms is what makes them good or bad, than if have bad news for you. The ability to play out a single critical situation while maintaining savety for you and your mate, is what you need. Arms is a big toolbox here and is able to play with nearly any heal. Does your DK or ret got a heal debuff?

10. May 18, 2018  
    It was but these days the only other melee spec a ret/prot pally will beat are warriors and other paladins. xD

11. May 18, 2018  
    Arms war/holy paladin.
    so your agree with me?cool see how you included holy paladin in your reply?like i said pallys all 3 specs top end in wrath.....

12. May 18, 2018  
    In a 15min match with heal+dd vs heal+dd, the selfheal of the dd doesn´t matter. If a healer is capable of healing his dd for 15min, he can do it for another hour as well. You do not slowly grind down your enemy, so that self heal of an dd would come in handy. It is not overall dmg or heal that ends a high rated match, for most it is a single situation, a tiny mistake, that ends a match.

If you think that overall dps in bg or arena for ret,dk or arms is what makes them good or bad, than if have bad news for you. The ability to play out a single critical situation while maintaining savety for you and your mate, is what you need. Arms is a big toolbox here and is able to play with nearly any heal. Does your DK or ret got a heal debuff?
    now we are talking matches as in 2v2?hmm ok.....
    so the self heal of a DD dont matter?why is that?so you dont think a pally bubbling and self healing does not matter or some how does not out?ret can off heal two but i guess that dont count along with casting freedom on someone else so they can land a killing blow dont count. i always thought... that say a DD liek a ret or dk got low and his healer maybe just somehow got cc'ed you know whats that called?going for a kill?maybe just maybe that extra self healing that off heal that bubble or that range snare could save a DD "ret/dk" for dying.

you can take anyone skilled ret or dk with a healer and face them off against any = skilled arms healer team and its a toss up but the ret and dk have much better suriviablty and solo play.

icecrown right?looking at the 2v2 latter i see 5 warriors in the top 10 = #1, 2, 6,7, 10 so did other comps ever take the rest of the spots?

like i said dks and pallys were and are hands down better during wrath then warriors were and its funny people point to arms/holy pally as some type of proof of me being wrong yet you for get that holy is part of that team = pallys!
    i totally get that a BIS arms war with max arp backed by healer "op'ed like pallys" can dish out a ton of damage but thats not the warrior class being so "great". its just how rage works and hoe op'ed arp was. but other classes can do just as much damage or more as arms without being so dependent on a op'ed healer or arp.

top dps spec during wrath are what?hard to remember pve way back then but if i remember right it was ret pallys fire mages and fury wars right?and fury was pretty bad like arms until mid x-pac correct?arms was not the top dps spec in pve but we can sure say ret pallys were right up there correct?at same time they also kicked *** in group pvp rocked solo play and were great tanks and healers. hmmm not a hard call to make.....

13. May 18, 2018  
    I remember towards the end of wotlk, I spec’d prot/holy on my pala, combining ret relentless gear with holy relentless gear to get double 100 resilience bonus and get as much spellpower as possible through the deep prot talent+spellpwr from gear and getting glyph of divine plea, salvation and righteous fury for max defense.

To sum it up, the enemy would have to damage me through sacred shield, 64% armor from plate&shield, 24% res, 2400 spellpower (which ofc empowers sacred shield), blessing of sanctuary(3% dmg reduction was it?), glyphs (salvation 20% reduction when enabled)+ endless mana with divine plea renewing every melee hit and strong holy light heals.

Tried it yesterday, and people could max crit me for 3k, usually 2k.

I love this spec.
    Blood DK in Cataclysm is 100 times better then your spec.i give you non WOTLK example because your title say "in history".

regardless whats the point of this spec?you will be completely useless in bg/arena since you will never kill anyone.any healer will outheal your dmg w/o any problem.if your goal is to be dummy where people hit you but you die hard feral druid can do the same.even if you die hard you don't do dmg.good luck with this spec in arena.only PVP viable for you will be duels,but how will you win vs anyone who can selfheal like shaman/priest or druid?even hunter will rekt you since he outrange you and its faster then you and you dont have rep to get him.he can simple kite you forever and never let you touch him.i cant see you killing a mage as well.unless all this classes run in melee range and dont kite you....how the hell will you ever win vs any of them?i guess you will win vs warrior/dk and rogues but that's it.

and just so you know you don't have endless mana half of the classes in the game can simple dispell your divine plea.
    Edited: May 18, 2018

14. May 18, 2018  
    Vanilla: Holy Paladin / Survival hunter.
    TBC: Resto Druid / Resto Shaman / Disc Priest.
    Wotlk: Holy Paladin / Resto Druid.
    Cata: Holy Paladin / Resto Shaman.

You folks happy now?

15. May 18, 2018  
    so your agree with me?cool see how you included holy paladin in your reply?like i said pallys all 3 specs top end in wrath.....
    Arms war/disc if that makes you happy. Buts its arms that is broken, hpala isnt as strong (its still OP but not as much). (talking about the most active bracket on private servers, 2s)

Its 3.3.5a, season 8. Every class has a top end spec.

123 Last