1. June 2, 2018  

Restoration Shaman T9 Set Bonus

Hi, this is my first thread here. I have played Wotlk on retail purely SV and then MM hunters and im glad to found a healing class that is similar versitaile to my hunter experience back then.

So i got a bit more invested into resto shaman and wondered if there is a point at which T9 2Set Bonus would outperform the benefit of ilevel251 or even ilevel264 no-set gear. This question came to my mind when I started doing more MT Healing. I know it sounds counterintuitive to prefer ilvel245 items over better gear, but Riptide should for me even unbuffed give up to 1k more healing with T9 2Set bonus.
    What do you think?

2. June 3, 2018  
    The issue here is that Riptide really isn't that much a cornerstone of your healing toolkit.

Though the t9 is very easily going to be better than non-set pieces that aren't much higher in ilevel, especially if you've glyphed Riptide or something.

3. June 4, 2018  
    Thank you for your thoughts. I'm Glyphed Riptide and will keep the T9 till i get T10 4set bonus. Seems to be worth it.

Do you have some other source that could hint one towards Shaman MT Healing? Grouphealing seems rather simple, so MT Healing supposedly needs more preparation.

4. June 4, 2018  
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by "source for MT healing".

If you're looking to improve your tank-healing, glyphing Earth Shield and Lesser Healing Wave is a good place to start. You also ought to pick up the 2/2 Improved ES talent if you haven't already.

5. June 5, 2018  
    Thank you for your thoughts. I'm Glyphed Riptide and will keep the T9 till i get T10 4set bonus. Seems to be worth it.

Do you have some other source that could hint one towards Shaman MT Healing? Grouphealing seems rather simple, so MT Healing supposedly needs more preparation.
    As a real gameplay with resto shaman glyph of riptide won't help you at all. This glyph just increases duration of Riptide hot giving you 1,2 additional ticks before to expire. In real raiding scene you never will let Riptide to expire before to recast it again on same target or before to consume this Riptide via Chain Heal. One of the tricks with Riptide is to spread 2,3 riptides around the raid and then to consume them with Chain Heal thus you boost it by 25% more. This is good tip if we speak about AOE damage. When we speak about Tank Healing (let's say LK as most intensive fight) Riptide initial healing is really nice but followed HOT by it is really not so good amount of healing to rely on. Also be sure that you will use this Riptide mostly on cd and mostly only on tank(s) thus making glyph of riptide even more pointless. Riptide also can play really nice job with "cheating" the game using it instant after Lesser Healing Wave (Healing Wave) thus the game accepts it like one heal and thus ensure yourself again with 2 stacks by Tidal Waves. About T9 2parts bonus in general It's nice but not something amazing. Imagine that you have just 20% more Spell Power only for Riptide. So for example if you have 3K Spell Power, this bonus gains you just 600 more SP for Riptide only. To be honest T9 bonuses for Resto Shaman are a bit dissapointed for me and don't boost your healing so much. Even T9 4 parts is pure RNG and the boost is just 5% more critical for Chain Heal considering that TOC content at all offers a lot of items with crit + mp5s and not so much with haste which actually improves your Chain Heal. Anyway speaking about VDW healing, my tests showed that even Head and Chest T10 + Shouders, Hands and Legs from ICC 25 content outperform 2 T10 + 2 T9 because of the bonus SP/haste/crit which you gain from higher ilevel items.
    Edited: June 5, 2018