1. June 3, 2018  

Getting attacked in home city

Hi. I was wondering about how pvp works in places like Stormwind and Ogrimmar. I always assumed that players in their home faction's cities could not be attacked by opposing players unless either pvp was enabled or the host player attacked first. What exactly are the rules of engagement and is it the same on here as in retail or has it been changed in any way? Thanks. BTW I play on Neltharion and was sniped while afk.

2. Hi. I was wondering about how pvp works in places like Stormwind and Ogrimmar. I always assumed that players in their home faction's cities could not be attacked by opposing players unless either pvp was enabled or the host player attacked first. What exactly are the rules of engagement and is it the same on here as in retail or has it been changed in any way? Thanks. BTW I play on Neltharion and was sniped while afk.
    You can be attacked anywhere by your opposite faction (excluding The Grand Tournament grounds and instances)

3. Thanks for the response.
    I could roll with that, except for the fact that in some situations while in SW, I could not be attacked. I remember not long ago I was in the SW trade district at the bank npc where you access your bank inventory. There was a horde DK there who could not attack me. So he tried to induce me to attack him by trying to pick a fight. He saw I was ignoring him while I was sorting my inventory at the npc so he killed the npc. He laid out a Blood Boil or Pestilence or whatever the heck the DK's aoe is called. I was standing right in the middle of it, taking no damage. Also, while all this was going on, the horde player's nameplate was in yellow. After failing to get me to engage, he moved on. Then other times, like the time I mentioned above, they COULD attack.
    So I would like to have some clarification between the two scenarios, or why I could be attacked in one situation but not the other. In both cases, I had not engaged in pvp. I also checked and confirmed that in both cases, I was not tagged for pvp.
    Someone in-game explained to me that any type of buff you have on your character while in SW will enable pvp status and can be attacked. But in another situation, I saw a druid standing in the middle of some pvp action in front of the AH with both a druid buff and a pala buff and was taking no damage nor was the druid even engaging in the fight. They were just standing there in the middle of all of it.

4. In the situations you're describing: If a pvp-flagged player is buffed by a not pvp-flagged player, the not pvp-flagged player will then become flagged for the next 5 minutes (Timer resets each time they perform a pvp action, or buff another pvp-flagged character).

If a not pvp-flagged character buffs a not pvp-flagged character, neither players will be flagged for pvp.

Hope that clears things up for ya'.

5. Thanks. Yes, that clears up the how the buffs factor in. But in the situation where I got sniped, I was neither tagged nor did I give any buffs to a tagged player. There's yet another wonky thing going on with two of my chars. Both my feral druid and my rogue always require the 20 second countdown in order to log out when in SW. That 20 second countdown is always required out in the world but when in a faction city, logging out is supposed to be immediate. This problem only applies to my rogue and druid too. When I'm logging out from all of my other toons, there is no 20 second countdown. Any idea what's causing that? I understand the 20 second countdown is to prevent people from escaping combat. It's like the game thinks my rogue and my druid are in combat or in a perpetual pvp engagement but they are not.

6. I'm afraid I don't know, in regards to that. As far as memory goes, I've never encountered that issue. If you can provide proof of that you may be able to supply tickets to the staff, see what they have to say about it.

7. What's happening is the game does not think you are in a "rest" area and so it induces the 20 second logout. I have encountered this in several cities and inns. Typically, I either leave the city/inn and reenter or a /console reloadui sometimes works. I'm not sure what causes this but have learned to deal with it.

8. What's happening is the game does not think you are in a "rest" area and so it induces the 20 second logout. I have encountered this in several cities and inns. Typically, I either leave the city/inn and reenter or a /console reloadui sometimes works. I'm not sure what causes this but have learned to deal with it.
    Thank you all for the responses. It started out as a general inquiry, which is why I thought this would be the appropriate forum section to post. It then kinda branched off into more of a technical support inquiry with the 20 second countdown issue. I apologize for that.
    It still doesn't fully answer my general question concerning pvp in faction cities and why sometimes I can be attacked and sometimes not, even when the factors and circumstances are the same in both scenarios. And don't get the wrong idea that I'm against pvp on a pvp server or anything like that. I just want to know what to expect. When I'm at the target dummies working on learning a new spec and setting up my action bars and stuff, I'm in a highly vulnerable state and I don't want to be a free hk for someone if I can help it.
    Thanks again for the feedback. Much appreciated.

9. The only way you can get attacked in Alliance areas (Including Major cities) is if you're marked for PvP.

How can you be marked for PvP? Either you have it enabled, or you buffed a PvP-flagged player, or you just came from a contested territory. For the last part, let's say you fly from Ironforge to SW instead of using Deeprun Tram, the gryphon flies through Searing Gorge and marks you for PvP for the next 5 minutes. When you land in SW, you can be attacked by Horde players. On the other hand, if you use Hearthstone, you are not marked for PvP, even if you came from a Contested Territory.

What you can do is, every time you enter an Alliance area, relog once so that you are no longer marked.

As for the 20 second logout, it only happens in rested areas if you're stuck in combat.

10. The only way you can get attacked in Alliance areas (Including Major cities) is if you're marked for PvP.

How can you be marked for PvP? Either you have it enabled, or you buffed a PvP-flagged player, or you just came from a contested territory. For the last part, let's say you fly from Ironforge to SW instead of using Deeprun Tram, the gryphon flies through Searing Gorge and marks you for PvP for the next 5 minutes. When you land in SW, you can be attacked by Horde players. On the other hand, if you use Hearthstone, you are not marked for PvP, even if you came from a Contested Territory.

What you can do is, every time you enter an Alliance area, relog once so that you are no longer marked.

As for the 20 second logout, it only happens in rested areas if you're stuck in combat.
    Thanks. That clears up some things. Sometimes I'll throw a buff on someone when in SW. Next time I'll refrain from doing that in case they are marked and see what happens. As for being stuck in combat, I can be logged off my rogue for days, then log in to check my mailbox, then log out again and it still requires the 20 second countdown. It could be a bug. I'll check it out.
    Cheers to you.