1. The state of pvp

Greetings everyone,

Im new on the server. Started playing with my friends very recently. I love both pvp and pve in warcraft, but the last time I played this expansion was a very very long time ago. I recently leveled up to 80 and want to know my goals.

The thing is, I've been in a few battlegrounds so far ( 20ish and lost every single one ) and im still kinda shocked from what i found out.
    - Im a fire mage ( no money for ds atm ), 3500 gs, pve gear ( obviously, i need to actually play and win bg's to get pvp gear right ? )
    - NOT A SINGLE TIME did I die from two shots, it's' always ONE.
    - No matter how weak I am, this shouldn't happened, after all I'm a max level character, with decent starting gear and actually very good at the game ( I'm a top tier PvP player on cataclysm )

Note: I once died from warriors whirlwind while my teams DK was pulling him towards him :D He killed me accidentally while passing by.

To finalize, my question is:
    - Is this going to be the case even when i gear up a little ( If i gear up at all, by loosing bg's ) ? Because if so I can then focus on PvE, because I have no intention of playing who is gonna attack who first game :D
    - How balanced and enjoyable is PvP on this server ( If above is not true ) ?

( These are all my observations so far and all are true, so don't try to state otherwise, but im waiting for your insight from seeing the bigger picture and more high level pvp, any advice would also be appreciated )

Thanks in advance
    Best regards, maqi

2. Dude, I am 1200 resilence arcane mage I get pulverized in like 3 or 4 hit if BiS / half PvE smourne warr gets me, but I also 3 shot him if he let me to haha

3. 3500 gs with no resilience will definitely get one shot by a bis PVP fury warrior. You do need to play bgs to get PVP gear that's for sure. But getting one shot because you have no resilience isn't crazy. If you're a top lvl pvper from cata you should understand that your going I to a BG with nearly no damage reduction.

When you get gear this won't happen . But again you will need the proper gear to try and fight people that geared. The state of PVP on the server is fine. Horde stomp alliance and allaince stomp horde about 50/50. You'll get a close bg every once and a while but most will be stomps. People complain about mutliboxers but it only really affect winter grasp. Arenas are a different story

4. Dude, I am 1200 resilence arcane mage I get pulverized in like 3 or 4 hit if BiS / half PvE smourne warr gets me, but I also 3 shot him if he let me to haha
    I was afraid of that. Could you please elaborate a little bit on the state of pvp, and give me some conclustions, are mages just bad, or is it the pvp in this expansion, because everyone one shoting everyone is not enjoyable and takes little to no skill. Thank you

3500 gs with no resilience will definitely get one shot by a bis PVP fury warrior. You do need to play bgs to get PVP gear that's for sure. But getting one shot because you have no resilience isn't crazy. If you're a top lvl pvper from cata you should understand that your going I to a BG with nearly no damage reduction.

When you get gear this won't happen . But again you will need the proper gear to try and fight people that geared. The state of PVP on the server is fine. Horde stomp alliance and allaince stomp horde about 50/50. You'll get a close bg every once and a while but most will be stomps. People complain about mutliboxers but it only really affect winter grasp. Arenas are a different story
    Yes i understand everything, however a literal accidental one shot while passing by is not ok ( And its the case every time, its not like they use full cds on me )

That is my ultimate question, would getting me geared result in a normal pvp, that lasts 30-sec to few minutes, or will it still be a one shoting game, but a bit longer. Asking for arenas and duels, i won't care about bg's once i gear up.
    Edited: June 30, 2018

5. Mages are squishy in Wotlk, because wotlk itself is like vanilla burst x 3 without resilience. It will get a bit better when you get BiS gear but you will still be very weak. You cannot exactly "tank" damage if you get my drifts.

The good news is that mages if played well and with knowledge of enemy classes are one of the most potent 1v1 specs in Wotlk.
    As frost only a few classes/specs will annoy you but not so much that you cannot deal with them.
    As arcane you're a western cowboy. If you can play the extremely volatile spec to perfection then you can blow up anyone in 1v1.
    Fire is the weakest spec of the threee but is still very fun in BGs when you spam Living Bomb and Pyroblasts.

In BGs overall you need to plan your approach and your position. Which is also why mages are shunned a lot in favor of Hunters, DKs, Paladins and Warriors where you can just mindlessly zerg into a fight and have a solid chance of winning. If you can put up with this then you can pull off some amazing things.

6. Mages are squishy in Wotlk, because wotlk itself is like vanilla burst x 3 without resilience. It will get a bit better when you get BiS gear but you will still be very weak. You cannot exactly "tank" damage if you get my drifts.

The good news is that mages if played well and with knowledge of enemy classes are one of the most potent 1v1 specs in Wotlk.
    As frost only a few classes/specs will annoy you but not so much that you cannot deal with them.
    As arcane you're a western cowboy. If you can play the extremely volatile spec to perfection then you can blow up anyone in 1v1.
    Fire is the weakest spec of the threee but is still very fun in BGs when you spam Living Bomb and Pyroblasts.

In BGs overall you need to plan your approach and your position. Which is also why mages are shunned a lot in favor of Hunters, DKs, Paladins and Warriors where you can just mindlessly zerg into a fight and have a solid chance of winning. If you can put up with this then you can pull off some amazing things.
    I agree with everything you said and glad i heard some of this :D Ill make sure to spec frost as soon as i have 1k gold. I do not expect to tank damage as a mage, but I would like not to die instantly from the first spell of a stealthed rogue aka no counter play.

That is all I wanted to hear, that resilliance DOES make a difference, because for example in cata, it doesn't make THAT much difference. However there you can still survive a few hits even naked in cata, unlike here :D

7. Let me be clear about this. Resilience does help, but only so much to let you get some playroom. And your gameplay must be pitch perfect. It is true that a good frost/arcane mage will destroy anything, but you need to be on your toes and be able to quickly shift from playing defensively to playing full offense and above all use your cooldowns wisely.
    One misstake vs for example a hunter, rogue, feral or DK and you're likely to be dead before you know it.

8. Let me be clear about this. Resilience does help, but only so much to let you get some playroom. And your gameplay must be pitch perfect. It is true that a good frost/arcane mage will destroy anything, but you need to be on your toes and be able to quickly shift from playing defensively to playing full offense and above all use your cooldowns wisely.
    One misstake vs for example a hunter, rogue, feral or DK and you're likely to be dead before you know it.
    Not ideal, but still better then the current state :D

Thank you everyone for your replies.

9. My mage is at about 5.6k atm, I go with PVE legs with haste over PVP ones with resilience cause I feel that with about 950 I'm ok enough to fight almost anyone other than SM warriors, but that's fine for me.

You'll always have issues with warriors in BGs cause they run in full buffed, with BL and procs right at the start, but other than that terrible moment it's not really terrible.

10. July 1, 2018  
    Can't understand why in mage's thread warriors have been mentioned.
    Your worst nightmare must be huntards regardless of your gear.

11. July 1, 2018  
    Because unless you can play very good as a mage, warriors will give you a lot of trouble if the warrior knows how to play.

12. July 1, 2018  
    now you know why plates dominate the server
    my retri with just 1000 resil takes a beating in bgs
    but my almost 1400 resil warlock is like paper.

13. July 1, 2018  
    Being squishy is not my biggest concern, IF you can actually do something about it and keep the enemy CC'ed. But another thing i have noticed, is people are for some reason more immune to my ice nova then they aren't. Whats up with that now ? My only defense is unreliable.

14. July 1, 2018  
    Diminishings? FAP's? Hand of Freedom? Etc etc?

12 Last