1. It's odd how many people are trashing Protection Warriors over here. I've done ICC10 man normal fully with two Prot Warriors, if the off tank warrior plays it correctly and uses the right items, you can pretty much forget Soul Reaper by just using intervene on the main tank, we're yet to try this in Lich King 10 HC and I'm pretty sure it'd be easy too. My first Bane run was with a Protection Warrior as OT and he did the job amazingly, the main tank (pally) barely took any damage from Soul Reapers due to Intervene.
    Safeguard can't be repeatedly applied because Intervene reduces your main tank's total threat by 10%. Your 2nd or 3rd use of Intervene will create enough threat issues to make the fight messy. In Phase 3 using Intervene and having the ability move your toon to where the MT is will also affect how effectively you soak Vile Spirits and such. A Prot Paladin's Hand of Sac and Divine Sac abilities generally do the same job much better, with a lot fewer gimmicks and caveats.

2. I would say bear tanking is one of the best but also prot pally, i play both and have killed lod on both but i would say bear is more fun.

First ... 234