1. July 6, 2018  

Best tank class

Greetings,

I started playing recently on this expansion and im making a tank alt for obvious reasons :D

Anyway, I wanted to ask you guys, what is the best and i mean THE BEST, tank class for end game ( icc nm and hc ), I have no problems playing any class, that's why I want the best tank to help everybody including myself.

Best regards.

2. July 6, 2018  
    Paladins, Bears, DKs are all perfectly fine for cutting edge lk and halion 25hc (whenever you get there).
    (personal opinion follows) Server seems to have a large amount of paladin and dk tanks, but i miss bear tanks somewhat even though they are very good.

3. July 6, 2018  
    Been playing Tank on this server since 2010, all classes, farmed LoD couple of hundred times with a lot of different classes and this is what I think

Paladins - have a slight advantage because of (the most overpowered passive in game) ardent defender, great damage reduction combined with 2 short cooldown taunts helps the class and makes it very noob friendly.

Feral Druids are damn near immortal IF played right, and you will need more practice then a paladin tank. But once you manage them I think (and this is my opinion) They are the most solid tank in game.

DK tanks are very viable as well but you must have a runestrike macro and AoE threat can be hard to manage sometimes. But they have the biggest single target threat in game and alot of good talents to handle heavy magical damage.

Protection warriors, should be much better then they are but some things are bugged and they take more damage then their supposed too, so finding a raid that will invite you as prot warr could get hard, specially if they aim for LK, but for everything other then LK they are very fun to play, a lot of abilities to help them out of any situation that might happend.

To sum it up.
    1 Protection Paladin.
    2 Feral druid
    3 Blood DK
    4 Protection Warrior.

4. July 6, 2018  
    I'd say DK is best choice overall due to certain bosses having magic mechanics which are nullified by anti magic shell. Can also heal yourself plentifully and not rely on your healers as much. Warrior is definitely the worst one though by far though and druids are uncommon. Paladins are only ever really liked because of Ardent Defender which is a bit overrated imo.
    Edited: July 6, 2018

5. July 6, 2018  
    Do yourself a favour and go with a feral tank, they're super easy to start unlike the non-def capped other tanks, you're auto capped by talents.
    They're also really good with armor as long as you have all leather gear - you'll have almost 35k armor at start.
    They have rather nice aoe threat for RDF farming.
    Server is filled to the brim with paladin and DK tank, bears are not so common so you'll have an easier time with getting into raids.

And if you get tired of tanking it's pretty much a regem away from being a dps.

6. July 6, 2018  
    Protection warriors, should be much better then they are but some things are bugged and they take more damage then their supposed too, so finding a raid that will invite you as prot warr could get hard, specially if they aim for LK, but for everything other then LK they are very fun to play, a lot of abilities to help them out of any situation that might happend.
    This has to be the oldest myth floating around.

7. July 6, 2018  
    Well that or the numbers we should not talk about on the forums ;)

8. July 6, 2018  
    yes, it is possible to clear any boss with warr tanking.

but the fact is that warrior is not simply worst class to have as tank, it is rather worse by a decent distance.

9. July 6, 2018  
    When I was PVE-in here on Deathwing, it was:

Prot Pala > Blood DK > Feral > Prot Warr

(some might be better than others for specific encounters (not counting warr)).

10. July 6, 2018  
    Thanks to everyone for your inputs.

Didn't know that warriors are that shamed upon :D Not a single person put tham as at least the third best :D ( Our main tank is actually a war, we didn't know this while starting, Guess i have to hurry up )

Anyway, Im not going to play druid, have some druid friends and have been playing druid for years, guess I have to choose between pala and dk, probably gonna go with pala.
    Edited: July 6, 2018

11. July 6, 2018  
    I have a bear druid and prot pala. Both are fine, depends which one you enjoy more, and then both have a dmg off spec and a heal off spec, so I think that is more important. Pick the one that you enjoy more because all are viable.

to answer your question though, probably prot paladin end game is most preferred. You are very reliable, safe, and tanky, plus you have some nice utilities, buffs, revive, and can off-spec dmg or heal in fights where one tank might only be required. Paladin though is probably the better off tank since your AOE threat is better, and DK tank is better main tank since your single target threat with icy touch spam is OP. But, either is fine.

The only one I do not currently have is a prot warrior, but I've seen them do fine in raids. Maybe they aren't preferred, but they work fine. Might require a bit more gear for end game LK HC, but it is do-able.

12. July 7, 2018  
    Yeah to clarify Protection Warriors can stil tank Lich King 25 Heroic if geared enough, they have good cool downs to handle more soul reapers then paladins for example.
    I've been in many runs with Protection warrior both MT and OT on that particular fight and the good once that time their abilities properly don't go down and don't have to rely on something like ardent defender.
    The thing is still, they take more damage then they did on retail, call it bug or not whatever, I have 1 and I think it's the most fun and challenging Tank specc out there, its great fun every time.

If you want to go a protection warrior, it's really a good choice all the way up.
    They work on all dungeons and they are only blamed on upon being "bad" because Lich King does such insane melee damage.

13. July 7, 2018  
    The thing is still, they take more damage then they did on retail, call it bug or not whatever, I have 1 and I think it's the most fun and challenging Tank specc out there, its great fun every time.
    Provide some proof to that or stop spreading bull****.

14. July 7, 2018  
    Yeah to clarify Protection Warriors can stil tank Lich King 25 Heroic if geared enough, they have good cool downs to handle more soul reapers then paladins for example.
    I've been in many runs with Protection warrior both MT and OT on that particular fight and the good once that time their abilities properly don't go down and don't have to rely on something like ardent defender.

If you want to go a protection warrior, it's really a good choice all the way up.
    They work on all dungeons and they are only blamed on upon being "bad" because Lich King does such insane melee damage.
    Provide some proof to that or stop spreading bull****.
    Cant agree more. I`m pretty sure if we take data from logs for fight like Sindragosa for example "well know that warriors are worst tanks for it" we will see anomaly that actually warriors takes probably less average and total damage from all 4 tanks Dk`s, Druid`s and Paladin`s.

All data is solo tanking this boss, look at the numbers at bottom average damage taken and total damage taken.

and the prove is here ....

Warrior tanks:
    Spoiler: Show

DK tanks:

Druid tanks:

Paladin tanks:

NB.Keep in mind all other tanks have Sindragosa trinket normal or hc version my warrior tank don`t have that trinket and its 6.2gs. Others are pretty much close or BIS some of them tanked 0% LOD, Sindi, PP etc i guess you can say that they know what they are doing.
    Edited: July 7, 2018 Reason: added few SS

15. July 8, 2018  
    Those loggs show's for example Warrior being hit 27 times with melee, compared with DK and Druid whos at 38 and 39 melee hits taken.
    Although 36K hits on warr vs 32K hits on druid and DK.

Everyone knows at this point, it's been stated since years back, why not post some evidence its not true.

123 ... Last