1. Trade Scam/Hack

Hey,
    So I'm doing some trading lately and so far happened to be scammed few times already. What I mean, the other guy changed gold amount somehow after he accepted trade and right at the moment trade completes. Tried to be the last to accept trade after that, didn't help, same magic.

So can you share some experiences you had with this? Is there any kind of counter besides using AH with its 5% cut or using only C.O.D mails and deal with some weird stereotype " C.O.D means scam" (?)?

How often you get scammed? Am I just easy prey? And sad thing is that every times I lose gold to scammer I need to make that gold back, that means even more risks to be scammed and this spiral amplifies. Should I just ditch Trade as rule - so far answer seems to be yes.

2. This could easily be solved server-side.

3. Seems like that old trade scam. I got scammed once (30K for 1 Primo) and I practically turn to AH after that. IIRC, some one in the forum promoted an addon that will auto cancel the trade if another player switch their gold or items midway of trade. You could try search in the forum for that addon if you really like to trade with people without AH or mail.

4. I got scammed once and since I've been to AH or COD exclusively, not gonna bother with those guys anymore.
    I had a few trades, for some minor ammounts, up to 100g which is not that much a big deal, but even those I record now, since the first whisper move him to the new tab, start recording and that's it. You might get scammed and lose some stuff, but he'll get his ban.

5. I have encountered this scam as well back in the day. Now in every trade I wait for like 5-10 seconds after they put their item/gold and accept the trade. They are usually in a hurry to swap things. After I started waiting, I have never been scammed yet (even though I've met at least 4-5 that tried but since I waited patiently, I noticed that very easily). Also, generally you don't wanna do BIG trades. If you sell a stack of primordials, do 4 trades of 5 primos instead of 1 trade of 20. Even if you do somehow get scammed, the loss is not gonna be big.

Also, I have no idea what C.O.D. scam are you talking about. You clearly see that you need to pay for the mail content, you clearly see what's inside that mail and what amount of money you should pay. Only C.O.D. scam I am aware of is "HELLO I AM FRUM WRMN STAFF HERE IS UR GYFT" but you have to be REALLY new to fall for this. C.O.D. is a safe way to trade. The only downside, it takes some time.

6. C.O.D. is a safe way to trade. The only downside, it takes some time.
    Most time/gold efficient way is the AH anyway. It takes time until you get the gold, but you save a lot of actual game time by not needing to advertise your goods, chat with people, meet and setup trades and scam risk is zero.

7. Most time/gold efficient way is the AH anyway. It takes time until you get the gold, but you save a lot of actual game time by not needing to advertise your goods, chat with people, meet and setup trades and scam risk is zero.
    Well, I don't regret I sold 180 of my primordial saronites by spamming in global and setting up trades. Cuts with these amounts of money are just too damn high.

8. "HELLO I AM FRUM WRMN STAFF HERE IS UR GYFT"
    lol exactly :D

9. Long time ago I accepted COD with 1 abyss crystal inside for some 5k. Was pretty crafty mail, "Abyss cryssstal(59)" "I heard you need some reagents, so there are few stacks for good price" or something like that. Was bit sleep deprived, that didn't help too. Haha still got that enchant on weapon.

But on topic, overall after some thinking I realized /trade is obsolete for larger scale trading. It doesn't have that "multiplicative" reach as AH. Safe trades would be nice, that's a little bit reason i brought this up, wanted to sniff around and see how other people are doing, scale of it.

By my experience only using trade - from all the moved gold around 10% gets scammed exclusively by that trade hack. Could be even better than AH, 5%, lost deposits and you can get stuff cheaper on /trade too, sometime impressive % cheaper.

Idea was to go for Vault gold cap, realest idea I have ever had.

10. imagine getting scammed in 2018 :(
    id advice you to take a look at the item or amount of gold before you press the accept button

11. imagine getting scammed in 2018 :(
    id advice you to take a look at the item or amount of gold before you press the accept button
    Well, scammers usually put in the correct item or the amount of gold at first and even press accept with that correct content. Problem is, after you double checked it, they manage to quickly swap items / change amount of gold and press accept again. They most likely use some macros or some ****, because that happens REALLY fast.

12. imagine getting scammed in 2018 :(
    You seem to not understand. Everything is fine and right in trade, but the scamming dude changes amount AFTER me and him accepts trade, 0.01 sec before trade completes. (Both sides turn green, amount changes and trade completes)

Obviously it has not happened to you, so good for you.

13. You seem to not understand. Everything is fine and right in trade, but the scamming dude changes amount AFTER me and him accepts trade, 0.01 sec before trade completes. (Both sides turn green, amount changes and trade completes)

Obviously it has not happened to you, so good for you.
    I don't think it's possible to change anything when both sides pressed accept. He changes items very quickly before you accept. You just don't notice that.

14. This is an old UI exploit that existed even on retail, which I think might be tied to the client: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/7006893716

15. Think it's possible people are actually using it here? I've never even heard about this untill now. Only scammers I've encountered are the obvious ones, changing the gold amount right before you hit accept which is easily countered with just waiting around 10seconds...

12 Last