1. yep, safest way is using AH. Or trade with someone in guild or so, no just random person

2. I'm pretty sure this sort of complain used to come up now and then, along with people who quickly changed items to one with the same or similar icon right when going to accept, before we added a policy against trade scams. You always should take the few screenshots listed in the Reporting Players post when trading with someone you don't know if you can trust, just to be on the safe side.

3. Think it's possible people are actually using it here? I've never even heard about this untill now. Only scammers I've encountered are the obvious ones, changing the gold amount right before you hit accept which is easily countered with just waiting around 10seconds...
    I knew someone who got all his accounts permanently banned by using something like that. He somehow changed the amount of items in trade window without getting it changed on the other persons trade window. But that was a few years ago. I haven't seen such exploit before Lordaeron launch with the new core. Even if it existed on retail, it should be fixable on server side. All item/gold changes go through the server to update the other persons trade window. There is no reason to accept such trade on server side just because 1 client says there is nothing wrong with it. If the problem is caused by client not showing latest amount because it changed too fast, send it with bigger delay or something. If it happens because they change it right before accepting, don't accept such trades. I don't know how exactly they do it but if a developer can reproduce it and knows what exactly causes it, server side logic can be tweaked to prevent the client side bug.
    Edited: August 3, 2018

4. Too bad WoW doesn't have trading confirmation screen like some other games do.

Most of the scams are easily avoided by being patient and looking. You could also wait for them to accept 1st, so you can see what the other player has put up there.

First 12