1. New to Prot Paladin

Hi all,

I'm a 5.9K GearScore Paladin who is in need of some help figuring out this class. I've watched some videos and really didn't learn that much. I know there not super hard to learn but I'm having issues holding aggro and running out of mana quickly. I use Discord and other voice chats (very friendly person) english speaking. If a Paladin that has some experience tanking could help me out that would be amazing! My characters name is Sacredoath so feel free to PM in game. Thanks a million!

Your friend,

Sacredoath

2. Mana problems are generally a non-issue in raids due to various buffs/procs. Your divine plea will be up as long as you're hitting something, replenishment has a close to 100% uptime in 25 man and about as much in a 10 man with a ret/spriest in it. Your blessing of sanctuary will also refund you a nice amount of mana. 1/2 Spiritual Attunement will more than seal the deal with your mana problems when doing any encounter.

As for threat, your AoE will be sort of lackluster even if you do decide to spec Seal of Command. On a single target though,

Hand of Reckoning + Avenger's Shield -> Hammer -> Shield -> Judgemetnt .. etc. will net you the greatest starting threat. If you have rogues and you're supposed to be holding the current target I'd advise against using wings immediately as the damage bonus does not stack with tricks from rogues. Of course this "pull rotation" naturally assumes that you've pre-casted Sacred Shield, Divine Plea and Holy Shield. Most generally you'll want to

1) pre-cast your defensive abilities which I already mentioned
    2) use the next hardest hitting ability you have available while keeping Holy Shield, Sacred Shield and Divine Plea up.

You could also just spam mass taunt in some cases since it only goes off if you lose aggro on your current target, but it depends a lot on what you're tanking, this can potentially backfire in some cases. It's a very useful thing to have on LK when you're tanking Raging Spirits. The last thing I can think of is simply using the Valiance libram when you're having difficulties and optionally getting a 2.6 weapon (BVB is by far the best) if you're just that desparate for extra threat.
    Edited: August 5, 2018

3. Keeping your mana high as a Prot Paladin throughout RDFs and various trash pulls comes down to:
    1) Keeping Blessing of Sanctuary on yourself. Lots of Pally tanks apply GboK on themselves or something else instead. GboS restores tonnes of mana on trash pulls.
    2) Making sure your Divine Plea buff is always up. You should have an addon that lets you know when this is down. Ideally you ought to be pulling trash fast enough that the buff is always kept up via Guarded by the Light.

In raids mana will be a non-issue if you have any points in Spiritual Attunement at all.

4. Mana problems are generally a non-issue in raids due to various buffs/procs. Your divine plea will be up as long as you're hitting something, replenishment has a close to 100% uptime in 25 man and about as much in a 10 man with a ret/spriest in it. Your blessing of sanctuary will also refund you a nice amount of mana. 1/2 Spiritual Attunement will more than seal the deal with your mana problems when doing any encounter.

As for threat, your AoE will be sort of lackluster even if you do decide to spec Seal of Command. On a single target though,

Hand of Reckoning + Avenger's Shield -> Hammer -> Shield -> Judgemetnt .. etc. will net you the greatest starting threat. If you have rogues and you're supposed to be holding the current target I'd advise against using wings immediately as the damage bonus does not stack with tricks from rogues. Of course this "pull rotation" naturally assumes that you've pre-casted Sacred Shield, Divine Plea and Holy Shield. Most generally you'll want to

1) pre-cast your defensive abilities which I already mentioned
    2) use the next hardest hitting ability you have available while keeping Holy Shield, Sacred Shield and Divine Plea up.

You could also just spam mass taunt in some cases since it only goes off if you lose aggro on your current target, but it depends a lot on what you're tanking, this can potentially backfire in some cases. It's a very useful thing to have on LK when you're tanking Raging Spirits. The last thing I can think of is simply using the Valiance libram when you're having difficulties and optionally getting a 2.6 weapon (BVB is by far the best) if you're just that desparate for extra threat.
    Thank you a million! Very informative and helpful! I was thinking about rolling a bear tank do they do better on trash (5 man situations)?

Thanks,
    Sacredoath

5. I was thinking about rolling a bear tank do they do better on trash (5 man situations)?
    I have no experience with bears so I can't say but in your shoes I wouldn't even burden myself with thoughts about 5 mans. They are just such a minor part of the gearing up process that you can ignore them entirely. If I had to guess though, I would say that bears probably do better than paladin when it comes to AoE threat.

6. Long story short, you got 0% hit with your gear. Fix that and you ll have no issues, you`re bis in the end.

7. As a prot paladin mained player myself, i often think about rolling another tank. Tho its not about ''aeo or single target tanking'' issiues or mana at all. You see, as paladin tank we are immobile, slow tanks. We stay in position and let them come to us. We are an unbreakable tower in some other words. But when it comes to Warrior tanking, i see that they are more mobile and they are allowed to play pvp with their prot spec unlike prot paladin pvp. Druid tank is awsome due to the non plate wearing tanking class makes raiding much easier, plus utilities that being a shapeshifter gives you both in pvp and pve. I cant say i like Death Knight but blood spec can be both viable in both pve and pvp, and also if you want to carry your guildies in 5 man heroics.

TL;DR Most of the time i have struggled with my prot paladin is mainly how dull it is. But when it comes to doing the job, my dear protadin never failed me. Im not an Altholic person, i only play 1 character at a time. So, no fancy warrior charges or def cd's or pvp rushes, nor druid shapeshifting for me yet.

8. As a prot paladin mained player myself, i often think about rolling another tank. Tho its not about ''aeo or single target tanking'' issiues or mana at all. You see, as paladin tank we are immobile, slow tanks. We stay in position and let them come to us. We are an unbreakable tower in some other words. But when it comes to Warrior tanking, i see that they are more mobile and they are allowed to play pvp with their prot spec unlike prot paladin pvp. Druid tank is awsome due to the non plate wearing tanking class makes raiding much easier, plus utilities that being a shapeshifter gives you both in pvp and pve. I cant say i like Death Knight but blood spec can be both viable in both pve and pvp, and also if you want to carry your guildies in 5 man heroics.

TL;DR Most of the time i have struggled with my prot paladin is mainly how dull it is. But when it comes to doing the job, my dear protadin never failed me. Im not an Altholic person, i only play 1 character at a time. So, no fancy warrior charges or def cd's or pvp rushes, nor druid shapeshifting for me yet.
    This is all wrong, or at least a misconception.

Paladins are amazing tanks, if you need mobility, roll Engineering and get Nitro Boosts, they are amazing for all specs in both PVE and PVP, in addition you can get the Haste/Armor enchants on the gloves.

Prot Paladins are also just as viable as Prot Warriors PVP. The main problem that all Paladins face, however, is that they have no healing reduction effect, you can overcome this by simply playing to your strengths (massive burst damage, long duration stun, tons of utility).

We stay in position and let them come to us. We are an unbreakable tower in some other words.
    Same as every other tank. Paladins actually have a lot more raid utility so are a lot more fun to play in HC raids. In addition they are the only tank with the ability to reset their stacks on certain boss fights that have mechanics that require two tanks, effectively making them the best solo tank out there.

I'm not going to comment on Warrior tanks in PVE, because I don't have any experience playing them, but they are probably the most gear dependent tank out there. If fun/excitement is what you are looking for and you don't mind doing things the hard way, then Warrior is probably a good fit.