1. Gold cap increase

I wanted to see some opinions about gold cap.

I think it would be great if cap on character would be 9 or 99M. Dancing around that 214k is pretty annoying sometimes with multiple chars, constant mailing it back and forward and personal bank(which is 50M as far as I know). I'm sure there are lots of old dogs and traders who feel this way.

Would be great quality of life improvement.

2. The number stored by WoW client is in copper not in gold, which makes the limit 2,147,483,647 copper, which is the maximum value of a signed 32 bit integer. Wotlk client is most likely unable to store and display a larger number so implementing this would require modifying WoW client, which is not going to happen. Implementing it only on server side and showing players wrong numbers is going to cause confusion.

Guild bank seems to use different number type so it can store more gold. But 32 bit integers are/were the standard and everything else involving gold most likely uses that, which is why that's the gold limit in the first place.
    Edited: August 14, 2018

3. So client can read only that specific type of field? Seems kind of weird that Guild Vault values can be changed so easily, but characters can't. Is WoW really such a patchwork?

Most I have done is made a map for wc3 in JASS, so idk how it works.

4. Every variable has a type assigned to it, which can not be changed externally. For almost everything related to gold, it's signed 32 bit integer and it can not store larger values without modifying the .exe file. Guild bank most likely uses 64 bit integer. It can store much larger values but the type had to be assigned beforehand by WoW client developers at Blizzard. That's why guild bank can store more gold but players can't. There is a discussion about it with some more details here: http://www.modcraft.io/index.php?topic=9082.0

Is WoW really such a patchwork?
    It's not really about WoW. It's about programming languages that use static variable types. Such as C++, which is what WoW uses. Some other programming languages with dynamic types might not have this limitation if they even supported larger numbers in 32 bit programs (some did, some didn't).
    Edited: August 14, 2018

5. So the max gold on char is max 32 integer value and MAX_Gold whatever parameter is set to same value in client, but guild vault cap is 50M set by MAX_GOLD in client, regardless of 64 bit integer being many times larger on server?

6. I don't know if 50M limitation is set by client or just server but that limitation is artificial. 64 bit integer can store much larger values. Just like gold cap on retail was later increased to 1M and 10M or something like that instead of trillions, which would be supported by 64 bit integer.

From that thread it seems like WoW client actually uses unsigned 32 bit integers and can support twice as large numbers (about 429k gold) with just server side modifications. But anything higher than that would definitely require WoW client modifications.

7. Because of 32 bit integer u have second stat squish on retail, and thats why Garrosh needed to heal like couple of times because his HP was too much for client. The same story goes with gold, and overall numbers. I don't know how blizz still can't put 64 bit, or use shorts for numbers. After 999.999 gold just put "1" and "M" as milion, problem solved.

8. Because of 32 bit integer u have second stat squish on retail, and thats why Garrosh needed to heal like couple of times because his HP was too much for client. The same story goes with gold, and overall numbers. I don't know how blizz still can't put 64 bit, or use shorts for numbers. After 999.999 gold just put "1" and "M" as milion, problem solved.
    They can, but it uses more memory and network traffic and it requires testing.

Also, in BfA they've squished all HP pools, now players have something in between what they had in TBC/WoTLK.

Regardless of the technical reasons, it doesn't make any sense for them to keep increasing and increasing HP pools, damage, stats... After so many years of WoW, those numbers had reached a point where they got ridiculous.

9. The same story goes with gold, and overall numbers. I don't know how blizz still can't put 64 bit, or use shorts for numbers
    I am pretty sure it was implemented for gold in Cata when gold cap was first increased.

After 999.999 gold just put "1" and "M" as milion, problem solved.
    That wouldn't solve anything. Both client and server still has to know exact amount. If client only knows that you have 1.2M gold, it won't know if you are allowed to type 1,234,567 in trade window. And trade window wouldn't even be able to handle such numbers without 64 bit integers.
    Edited: August 16, 2018

10. I don't think its 50 million for Guild bank definitely less than that, that being said I've gone up up 8.7 Mil in Gbank in the past without any issue, so at least that much I know is possible, as for personal gcap it won't ever go over 214k as others have stated, way too much work for both serverside and client to make it work and no point with all these squishes going on yearly and a constant deflation of gold.. Current Value of gold is pretty close to retail back in 2009 Wotlk, maybe just a tad more inflated and gold cap on wotlk retail was never a problem.

11. Well, they implemented 64 bit in D3 so I don't why they can't do it in WoW, but yeah it's technical problem.

I don't have problems with big numbers, in fact I prefer them, I like shots for milions of HP, it's because Diablo3 happened. There, u play all the time with Trillion numbers