1. Need Help - Hunter Macro Explanation

Hello,

Here we go I'm rogue that switched hunter :) I got quite a lot to understand even if I'm doing quite well in DPS I need to understand the mechanism.
    I understood perfectly the mechanisme of steady / auto/ steady etc.

But I have a question:
    I see a lot of debate about Hunter Macros for steady / auto attack. I would like a good hunter to explain as if I was completely stupid the mechanism please. You guys are talking about 1:1 macro or 3:2. What does it mean? 1 steady 1 auto? of 3 steady 2 auto? I don't really get it please.

I would also that someone explain the text of the macro please as I understood we need to modify related to our attack speed.
    Meaning if I'm not stupid I should have 3/4 different macro with the attack speed with the different Hast buff like: Drums, Hawk aspec proc, DST proc?

Thanks for for the replies
    Bali

2. Its pretty easy explanations:
    1:1 means one steady per one auto
    3:2 three steadys per two autos... theoretically

1:1 standard
    #showtooltip Steady Shot
    /castrandom [target=pettarget,exists] Kill Command
    /castsequence reset=2/target !Auto Shot, Steady Shot
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear();

Here the reset=2 can be changed according to your attack speed.
    This is also the macro you should use up untill you have full t6 gearing basicly

3:2 standard
    #showtooltip Steady Shot
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 0
    /cast !Auto Shot
    /cast Steady Shot
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 1

No tweaking for speed. This is the correct 3:2 macro
    This is the macro you should use after full t6.

3:2 Most server used
    #showtooltip Auto Shot
    /cast !Auto Shot
    /cast [target=pettarget, exists] Kill command
    /cast Steady Shot
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

Most used macro on this server, and i have absolutely no clue why, because its bad.
    This is the macro you should never use.

Just a fast test showing how they work from beastmastery perspective only:

1000 shot rotation on each macro. 3100 gs beastmastery hunter (so not full t6). No pet used. Only hawk aspect used. 1.9 attack speed:

1:1 macro
    steady shot v auto: 501/507
    dps: 765.6
    Mana used per 100 shots: 4950

3:2 standard:
    steady v auto : 567/418, 2.7/2
    Dps: 777
    Mana used per 100 shots: 5650

3:2 server macro
    steady v auto: 578/424, 2.7/2
    Dps: 751
    Mana used per 100 shots: 5950

Its a small sample, but big enough to be within the needed 1-2% deviances.
    The problem is.. Auto shots do more damage than steady shots untill youre in very highend gearing.
    3:2 macros are very susceptible to haste procs and effects. Which with just hawk aspect on (with its haste proc) you see a lot less steady shots than there should be theoretically. The margin of your getting another steady shot in gets so narrow, that you can spam that button all you want as fast as you want, and not get the extra, its that short timing under haste effects.
    The reason the server 3:2 macro does less dps, is because it clips autos. There is a reason why the standard 3:2 is written as it is. Its weird, but it does have a huge effect. Again, the entire point of these macros is to never ever clip auto shots, as they do the most damage of the two shots (AND costs no mana).

As you can tell, the 3:2 has a huge increase in mana spenditure, for very very little dps gain on the 3:2 standard, and actually a dps loss on the server used 3:2.
    The best part about a hunter is the longevity of his dps, so the 3:2 is basicly only usable if you have a VERY huge mana pool, mp5 raining on you, or a free innervate every boss fight. Else youll experience a little dps increase for a short while, and then a slump where youre drained for mana. This effect evens out on a 1:1 macro. Little lower burst, ****ton longer fight potential, and no slumps if you remember to use pots.

All of the macros can be used with shot weaving, but the 1:1 gains the top here for dps gain v not. The 1:1 can weave whenever it wants, and the 3:2 only on the one steady rotation, or loose a potential steady shot
    1:1 auto-steady-auto-steady.. here each steady can be changed for (in order of best use) serpent sting, multi, arcane on cooldowns.
    3:2 auto-steady- steady-auto-steady-auto... Only place to not loose dps from standard rotation is the second part: auto- steady- auto, same rotation on cd as the 1:1, but cds will be a lot different.
    All weaving is a mana dump, so take care when using it, it shortens your long time dps.

useable additions to the macros:
    /startattack
    ... This gives a tab-target effect. You dont need to target mobs with mouse or tab to start doing your damaage. Do not use if you wont use the time to get used it, it may ninjapull right and left if u dont pay attention. Its a lazy addition, but actually helps by not having to divert attention, so for those that know how to use it, its a dps gain on multi targets.

/petattack
    ... Makes your pet attack what you attack, all the time. You switch targets, so does the pet. In use with above macro, this pretty much keeps your pet in the fight on multitargets without ever running back to you, or needing you to send it back on target manually. Dont use this on targets where pet always dies. Usually a dps increase, unless you send it into death zones.

/cast [pet:Wind Serpent] Lightning Breath
    ... this is the macro to focus dump your pet. The wind serpent in itself doesnt use the skill fast enough. This forces its use, slight dps gain. This is always used at YOUR target.

/cast [target=pettarget,exists] Lightning Breath
    ... This is almost the same as above, but on targets where you have pet at one target, but youre shooting on another, this macro spends the LB on the pets target instead. Can also be used in a "no engage" situation for the pet. It can get into range, shoot and run back to u.

Why use windserpent over other pets?
    The windserpents ability lightning breath basicly have no cooldown. So everytime you get focus on the pet, its more dps. All other pets have ability cooldowns, and when your hunter reaches around 25% crit chance, you will see that they cannot use their abilities fast enough compared to the focus gain they get from your crits. Wind serpent on the other hand, wont have this problem, so the more crit u have, the higher the wind serpents dps. No other pet can do this. You wont see much differnce in pets prior to having that crit %. So up untill then, it doesnt really matter if you choose a ravager or windserpent.
    Honorable mention for pets: Any pet with screech. Lowers targets attack power. Tanks will like it, everyone will hate you for using a pet with wings, and audible skill use.
    Edited: September 24, 2018

3. /castrandom [target=pettarget,exists] Kill Command vs /cast [target=pettarget, exists] Kill command is the only difference between those two macros /castrandom says that the player tries to cast Kill Command every time its available, if you smash the button /cast will do the same....

in my opinion the ravager is still the best hunter pet because it has 10% melee attack power and gore favours all group buffs as feral aura and enhancer buffs (also armor pen debuffs and expose weakness are scaling way better with it)
    the serpent lacks since lightning breath is an instant cast on global cd (LB = 106 + RAP*0.125*0.4286) < gore and it only has something like 8% melee attack power

4. That is not the difference i mean in the macro mate.
    The difference in pet target cast/castrandom has no impact on hunter shots. I just didnt alter the two macros from the standards you can find around the net.
    If its the only difference you can tell, youre kind of blind :P Since its several extra lines. Sadly elitistjerks website where we did all the hunter maths in old retail days doesnt exist anymore, so cant show you why it makes a difference.

You can favor the ravager all you want, the math behind why its good is old and proven time after time. Gore does half the base damage at half the focus, needing double the gcd, thus loosing out on focus spenditure when crit gets too high. But as mentioned, the change comes at around 25% crit chance, then gore cannot compete any longer, even buffed. Or more commonly stated, the moment you do 4 hits per 2 seconds, with 25%+ crit chance, gaining 50 focus each crit, gore can no longer be used often enough to keep focus spent. Thus the higher crit you get, the more damage the LB gains, while the gore stalls. You need 50%+ crit chance before that happens with LB. Not to add in, everytime you get three crits in a row, the gore cannot be used often enough either, so again looses dps (happens around 2% of the time at 25% crit chance, so already there the rap gain is gone).
    Edited: September 25, 2018

5. The extra lines in the "correct" 3:2 macro are just console sound settings though. Why would that matter?

You can reach most of the elitistjerks threads using Waybackmachine btw

6. That is not the difference i mean in the macro mate.
    The difference in pet target cast/castrandom has no impact on hunter shots. I just didnt alter the two macros from the standards you can find around the net.
    If its the only difference you can tell, youre kind of blind :P Since its several extra lines. Sadly elitistjerks website where we did all the hunter maths in old retail days doesnt exist anymore, so cant show you why it makes a difference.
    ^ this shows me that you have exactly 0 clue what wow is about, bro those settings are for people who are annoyed of the "not ready" sound and the red text above your head.... 0.0000 impact on dmg

You can favor the ravager all you want, the math behind why its good is old and proven time after time. Gore does half the base damage at half the focus, needing double the gcd, thus loosing out on focus spenditure when crit gets too high. But as mentioned, the change comes at around 25% crit chance, then gore cannot compete any longer, even buffed. Or more commonly stated, the moment you do 4 hits per 2 seconds, with 25%+ crit chance, gaining 50 focus each crit, gore can no longer be used often enough to keep focus spent. Thus the higher crit you get, the more damage the LB gains, while the gore stalls. You need 50%+ crit chance before that happens with LB. Not to add in, everytime you get three crits in a row, the gore cannot be used often enough either, so again looses dps (happens around 2% of the time at 25% crit chance, so already there the rap gain is gone).
    your elemental shamans and enhancer will hate you..
    gore favours armor pen debuffs and every other melee debuff that increases MELEE DMG on the boss/add, like i said.., therefore it does more damage than LB (which is + nature damage, so no coe and not sure if benefitting from other debuffs on the target, instant cast s.o) since nearly every guild is using sunder armor, bs axe, cor, and ungoro crystal. on top of that the most damage from your pet is white hit dmg, ravager has 10% melee dmg, serpent only 8%... see?
    (not to forget resistances)
    Edited: September 28, 2018

7. And tihs debuff are? You get 4% from ARMS and? Also Gore with all amor debuffs is still playing catchup becouse LB is nature damage and bosses got 15 innate resistances. With base damage of LB being almost twice of Gore and scaling also with AP. GL trying to do more dmg then LB

8. And tihs debuff are? You get 4% from ARMS and? Also Gore with all amor debuffs is still playing catchup becouse LB is nature damage and bosses got 15 innate resistances. With base damage of LB being almost twice of Gore and scaling also with AP. GL trying to do more dmg then LB
    Expose Weakness, Curse of Recklesness, Sunder Armor

9. Expose Weakness dont work for Gore, while other 2 are armor debuffs that I already mentioned

10. ^ this shows me that you have exactly 0 clue what wow is about, bro those settings are for people who are annoyed of the "not ready" sound and the red text above your head.... 0.0000 impact on dmg
    Youre very free to actually test it, rather than just attack me, but hey.. when ppl dont back up their statements. I did, with proof. I dont argue from "i prefer". I actually test it, and read up on it.
    I dont prefer one 3:2 over the other. I dont have the gearing to use them this time around, just like 95% of the hunters on this server. But I do pay attention to when Im outdpsing a 3:2 macro user using my 1:1, with roughly same gearing as me, and when talking to them, they all use the server altered 3:2. But hey, I already knew from retail that the 3:2 had a late starting point vs the 1:1 macro. I also knew from experience that the 3:2 was a mana dump, before it was a dps gain.
    And when we got a new hunter in the guild, who wanted to know why i could outdps him. We did this test. And it was consistant. Then I recalled there was talk about differnces in 3:2 macros, and started talking to an old retail raiding friend. He used to be a theory crafter on EJ, and still had the other 3:2 macro. Told me to test it against the server macro, and the above is the result.
    The basic point being, dont use the 3:2 macro unless youre doing the highest end raiding. Youll do less damage and have less mana. Wether you wanna use one over the other, thats entirely up to you in t6 gearing both will outscale 1:1. Fact is 95% of the hunters on the server use a 3:2 with 2.0gs gearing and even less, because nobody tells them otherwise. And they perform poorly because of it. Dont use 3:2 untill you have full t6.

your elemental shamans and enhancer will hate you..
    gore favours armor pen debuffs and every other melee debuff that increases MELEE DMG on the boss/add, like i said.., therefore it does more damage than LB (which is + nature damage, so no coe and not sure if benefitting from other debuffs on the target, instant cast s.o) since nearly every guild is using sunder armor, bs axe, cor, and ungoro crystal. on top of that the most damage from your pet is white hit dmg, ravager has 10% melee dmg, serpent only 8%... see?
    (not to forget resistances)
    Gore and ravagers do have early advantages. But im seriously not gonna argue wether which pet is the best. Its been proven time and time again. So its redundant to actually keep arguing it. Again, its not about the buffs, or the melee%. Serpent simply can dish out more because its top damage isnt capped. Gore IS capped. And the better gearing you get on the hunter, the better the serpent gets. Youre arguing wether ravagers innate 2% advantage outdamages a non capped skill (with current gearing). Doesnt matter that ravager gets 2% more from buffs than serpent does. Serpents LB outdpses what ever buffs ravager gains on by simply being useable almost constantly. Gore cannot compete, and that leaves the LB the absolute top contender for damage output, by a LARGE margin. Yes most damage on most pets is white, but the 2% better ravager, does more than 2% less (of overall damage) on its ability.. buffs or no buffs. Every single buff debuff etc you mention here, ravager only gains 2% more of than wind serpent, its not more. If youre counting from the point that, ravager gets buffed and wind serpent doesnt... Then you might be right, just maybe. Thats just not how this works. And thats before going into further mechanics. Adding in gores damage reduction from armor, vs lb's vs resistances. LB's useability from ranged.
    So again, the argument is: Is ravagers 2% better start, better than an uncapped ability. Early, yes. Late no.

Really do remember, that even with all buffs calculated in, the higher white damage on the ravage is still barely 2.03% gain.
    At higher gearing, Lb vs gore. Lb has up to 100% damage gain on gore, and thats jut the base damage and cd combined. If u think thats negateable by buffs to gore, you really should go make a dps test on a boss lvl 73.
    Or some simple maths: if gore does 100dps in a fight nonbuffed. LB does up to 200dps, unbuffed. This is from base damage and cd cap. Lb will always have twice the base damage output potential (only depending on hunter gearing).
    If u buff gore 50% it does 150dps, Lb still does 200dps unbuffed. But hey, you mentioned a 4% and an innate 2% with a lets be nice 15% random buff increase? So gore would do 125dps, and lb could do 200dps (absolute base damage, still not counting in the different mechanics of buffs LB gets). Sure thing, gores does look good compared.....
    And when is the cap on gores max dps potential? At 25% crit rating on the hunter. Which is reached halfway through karazhan.
    Edited: September 29, 2018

11. 1:1 standard
    #showtooltip Steady Shot
    /castsequence reset=2/target !Auto Shot, Steady Shot

Here the reset=2 can be changed according to your attack speed.
    This is also the macro you should use up untill you have full t6 gearing basicly

Which attack speed do you use there?
    Your attack speed unbuffed?
    Do you have to have multiple macros? (e.g. 2.30 unbuffed, 2.10 w/ DST proc up, 2.00 DST+QS, ... DST+QS+BL)
    Thanks in advance!

12. Youre very free to actually test it, rather than just attack me, but hey.. when ppl dont back up their statements. I did, with proof. I dont argue from "i prefer". I actually test it, and read up on it.
    I dont prefer one 3:2 over the other. I dont have the gearing to use them this time around, just like 95% of the hunters on this server. But I do pay attention to when Im outdpsing a 3:2 macro user using my 1:1, with roughly same gearing as me, and when talking to them, they all use the server altered 3:2. But hey, I already knew from retail that the 3:2 had a late starting point vs the 1:1 macro. I also knew from experience that the 3:2 was a mana dump, before it was a dps gain.
    And when we got a new hunter in the guild, who wanted to know why i could outdps him. We did this test. And it was consistant. Then I recalled there was talk about differnces in 3:2 macros, and started talking to an old retail raiding friend. He used to be a theory crafter on EJ, and still had the other 3:2 macro. Told me to test it against the server macro, and the above is the result.
    The basic point being, dont use the 3:2 macro unless youre doing the highest end raiding. Youll do less damage and have less mana. Wether you wanna use one over the other, thats entirely up to you in t6 gearing both will outscale 1:1. Fact is 95% of the hunters on the server use a 3:2 with 2.0gs gearing and even less, because nobody tells them otherwise. And they perform poorly because of it. Dont use 3:2 untill you have full t6.

Gore and ravagers do have early advantages. But im seriously not gonna argue wether which pet is the best. Its been proven time and time again. So its redundant to actually keep arguing it. Again, its not about the buffs, or the melee%. Serpent simply can dish out more because its top damage isnt capped. Gore IS capped. And the better gearing you get on the hunter, the better the serpent gets. Youre arguing wether ravagers innate 2% advantage outdamages a non capped skill (with current gearing). Doesnt matter that ravager gets 2% more from buffs than serpent does. Serpents LB outdpses what ever buffs ravager gains on by simply being useable almost constantly. Gore cannot compete, and that leaves the LB the absolute top contender for damage output, by a LARGE margin. Yes most damage on most pets is white, but the 2% better ravager, does more than 2% less (of overall damage) on its ability.. buffs or no buffs. Every single buff debuff etc you mention here, ravager only gains 2% more of than wind serpent, its not more. If youre counting from the point that, ravager gets buffed and wind serpent doesnt... Then you might be right, just maybe. Thats just not how this works. And thats before going into further mechanics. Adding in gores damage reduction from armor, vs lb's vs resistances. LB's useability from ranged.
    So again, the argument is: Is ravagers 2% better start, better than an uncapped ability. Early, yes. Late no.

Really do remember, that even with all buffs calculated in, the higher white damage on the ravage is still barely 2.03% gain.
    At higher gearing, Lb vs gore. Lb has up to 100% damage gain on gore, and thats jut the base damage and cd combined. If u think thats negateable by buffs to gore, you really should go make a dps test on a boss lvl 73.
    Or some simple maths: if gore does 100dps in a fight nonbuffed. LB does up to 200dps, unbuffed. This is from base damage and cd cap. Lb will always have twice the base damage output potential (only depending on hunter gearing).
    If u buff gore 50% it does 150dps, Lb still does 200dps unbuffed. But hey, you mentioned a 4% and an innate 2% with a lets be nice 15% random buff increase? So gore would do 125dps, and lb could do 200dps (absolute base damage, still not counting in the different mechanics of buffs LB gets). Sure thing, gores does look good compared.....
    And when is the cap on gores max dps potential? At 25% crit rating on the hunter. Which is reached halfway through karazhan.
    This is a question I have too. What is inputted in instead of 2. The static speed or with possible buffs?
    Also I read 1:! and 3:2 are better for different attack speeds.
    Does someone have info on the sweet spot for each? When I'd want to use each.

13. rav 6200 ws 7700.

sick of yall arguing about this, test it.

14. This is a question I have too. What is inputted in instead of 2. The static speed or with possible buffs?
    Also I read 1:! and 3:2 are better for different attack speeds.
    Does someone have info on the sweet spot for each? When I'd want to use each.
    What is that even referencing? What do the numbers mean?
    Two random numbers for each pet.

15. What is that even referencing? What do the numbers mean?
    Two random numbers for each pet.
    Boss Armor obv...