1. Sacred shield not being available to rets til 80 is a nice feature of the 79 twink bracket. It's such an annoying ability, both in its power and how easy it is to use. I've played some ret, and you can easily make a power aura to warn you when it falls off. Just reapply it, and you've got huge damage reduction and nice dispel fodder (it produces two dispellable buffs, each with 30% dispel resistance with talents) as a bonus. Rets seem pretty balanced in the 79 bracket without it. With it, rets at 80 just seem way too powerful for the skill the class requires (not much, at least outside of an arena setting).
    Edited: December 16, 2018

2. Sub vs frost is actually really balanced... the mage gotta take advantage of when cloak of shadows is on cd and the rogue takes advantage after mage ice block

As for plate users like u ppl mention, theres not many ways to succed but kiting is one of them, a good rogue wont waste his stuns when the retri has freedom... so ye

When im pvping I always wait for the opponent to waste his trinket, thats when the "serious play" begins
    OK so you will have to wait till paladins have trinket on CD,freedom on CD,BOP on CD, Babble on CD. and then the "serious play" start. But only if some of their cds are not back up till then. This just don't sound very realistic. You also said early that you can beat anyone if you are "100% focus". I really dislike this statement because you can always use it to defend your lose "I lost 8 of 10 duels vs this guy, but that's because i was not focused, if i am focused i will win all"

I keep seeing this statements like this, there was a guy who was going nuts telling everyone that Warrior is one of worst PVP classes in the game, there was another dude arguing with whole forum that Shadow priest is beating DK in duels. I am wondering can everything we have learn about WOTLK in past 10 years be wrong, and this few people know better then literally the whole PVP community?
    Edited: December 17, 2018

3. OK so you will have to wait till paladins have trinket on CD,freedom on CD,BOP on CD, Babble on CD. and then the "serious play" start. But only if some of their cds are not back up till then. This just don't sound very realistic. You also said early that you can beat anyone if you are "100% focus". I really dislike this statement because you can always use it to defend your lose "I lost 8 of 10 duels vs this guy, but that's because i was not focused, if i am focused i will win all"

I keep seeing this statements like this, there was a guy who was going nuts telling everyone that Warrior is one of worst PVP classes in the game, there was another dude arguing with whole forum that Shadow priest is beating DK in duels. I am wondering can everything we have learn about WOTLK in past 10 years be wrong, and this few people know better then literally the whole PVP community?
    Sub rogue is the class with most control over the enemy, theres too many stuff rogues can take advantages from the rest of the classes, just gotta play smart and focus... also being fast is something really important when it comes to pvp and rogue is the one that offers the most

4. Sub rogue is the class with most control over the enemy, theres too many stuff rogues can take advantages from the rest of the classes, just gotta play smart and focus... also being fast is something really important when it comes to pvp and rogue is the one that offers the most
    I am sorry but this is such a generic thing to say. You can replace the word " rogue" with half of other classes,like mage for example and there will be no difference at all in the meaning of your post. Can you at least try to provide some game plan vs ret paladin as rogue, aside of " wait till he waste his trinket".

ALso playing smart,focus and fast are players characteristics that have absolutely nothing to do with class itself. If you are trying to say that you as player at your best can outplay most or all other players, ok fair enough i can agree with that. However the thread is about Classes not players.
    Edited: December 17, 2018

5. You cant make mistakes often when playing rogue like u can with other classes, if u vanish with dots not only u waste a good spell but also ****s up the plan u had making u die, if u have disarm on cd and a warr uses bs ur pretty much ****ed, if a mage blinks and u dont have shadowstep ready ur also ****ed... so ye if u notice all this aspects not only u become a better player but also increases the chance to counter and win ur opponents... rogues also dont have self healing making it harder and more satisfying when beating enemies, and so much more the coordination, the plans u can make while in stealth, etc... rogue and especially sub is indeed the best pvp class, dont let us forget that back in the old days rogue and disc priest or mage were owning everything mostly bc of the cc and burst

6. Dude ambushed few cheapshot freedoming mongoloids on the Field of Strife and now thinks he can kill good ret paladins as rogue.
    People are still bad even in theorycrafting over 10 years old game.

7. Exactly, u nailed it bro

Triggered ^^

8. rogues are paper
    i just whip out my 1h/shield and blow them away as ret lol
    least dangerous class unless they catch you with 2h out, trinket, no ss, AND forbearance debuff and even then they need to properly reset after the first freedom to kill the ret. Even that immediately becomes fairly hard if he realizes you're about to reset and whips out his 1h and applies sacred shield (can be done in same gcd if done in the right order) inbetween freedom and being blinded. It's a super stilted matchup.

Your best bet is to play something gimmicky like full pve combat and hope you can burst them down so fast with killing spree they fail to even properly react, this can work vs most humans since sub-1k resil is common but you will literally die in like 2 gcds otherwise...
    Edited: December 19, 2018

9. I agree ret is strongest 1v1, but I also don't see how anyone can be entertained by the spec on a long-term basis. Things like applying sacred shield, swapping your weapon, freedoming stuns - it ain't exactly rocket science. So when you're doing it as ret I have a hard time seeing how the player gets the satisfaction of knowing he's doing something anyone else couldn't do.

I mainly play mm hunter, and when I'm facing a sub rogue I can tell a huge difference between a good one and a bad one. Rets are for the most part just rets. Just the simple act of using a one hander and shield and keeping a simple sacred shield buff active gives a HUGE amount of brain-dead damage reduction. And if that somehow fails, there's always the tried-and-trued fallback of hiding behind a tree.

I have a ret alt and get bored of it after a weekend of bgs tops. Usually not even that long. I don't see how long-term rets stay entertained by it.

10. I agree ret is strongest 1v1, but I also don't see how anyone can be entertained by the spec on a long-term basis. Things like applying sacred shield, swapping your weapon, freedoming stuns - it ain't exactly rocket science. So when you're doing it as ret I have a hard time seeing how the player gets the satisfaction of knowing he's doing something anyone else couldn't do.

I mainly play mm hunter, and when I'm facing a sub rogue I can tell a huge difference between a good one and a bad one. Rets are for the most part just rets. Just the simple act of using a one hander and shield and keeping a simple sacred shield buff active gives a HUGE amount of brain-dead damage reduction. And if that somehow fails, there's always the tried-and-trued fallback of hiding behind a tree.

I have a ret alt and get bored of it after a weekend of bgs tops. Usually not even that long. I don't see how long-term rets stay entertained by it.
    It sounds like you are playing pala like a warrior based on your simplification, it's not all your fault I guess, after all 97% of rets on the server do the same thing, but if you play it properly it's another story. It never stops being gratifying being the offheal god that everyone loves, throwing out heals dispels and hands of sac/freedom/protection like they're going out of style, in addition to breaking in heads and being hard af to kill. Half the time I'm using sacred shield on someone else like a hunter and keeping them topped off with flash of light while they enable me to easily burst targets down with their heal reduc.

Clutch 1% hp LoH's are also fun, nevermind when they crit and give the dude a humongous HoT.

also "I have a hard time seeing how the player gets the satisfaction of knowing he's doing something anyone else couldn't do.", every class is quite easy to play relatively speaking, you aren't getting this out of any of them.

11. Half the time I'm using sacred shield on someone else like a hunter and keeping them topped off with flash of light while they enable me to easily burst targets down with their heal reduc.
    If I ever saw a sacred shield on me from a ret in a bg I think I'd faint from surprise. But props to you if you actually play like that.

This is purely with regard to 1v1 and casual pvp, by the way. The skill required for, say, ret-mm 2s is obvious. I'd actually put ret as above average in skill required in that context - certainly more than warrior-h pal. But as you said most of the rets are the guys who seem to enjoy being 1v1 gods against other classes. IE the subject matter of this thread. And I don't think ret 1v1 mechanics are fun or challenging at all in this context.
    Edited: December 19, 2018

12. I have a ret alt and get bored of it after a weekend of bgs tops. Usually not even that long. I don't see how long-term rets stay entertained by it.
    Because arena, that's how rets stay entertaining. Sure in 1v1 the it may not be that obvious if ret paladin is good or bad, but in arena its clear as day and night. And in BG it's very satisfying to just blow people up, or to be able to survive in middle of group of enemies. 1v1 ret paladins dont have too much to do and can be boring, but this is a half support class after all, the whole idea is to be able to use your heals and freedom and sacred shield on other players. The game is not balanced around 1v1 overall. Look warrior for example hands down the worst 1v1 class in the game, but with holy paladin on the back he transform into unstoppable killing machine.
    Edited: December 20, 2018

13. Prot warrior vs prot paladin, same skill and gear- who wins?

14. So many people here theory crafting, but lack any real 1v1 experience. Been saying this for YEARS.

With Line of Sight : Ret paladins and Shadow priests

Without Line of Sight : Frost Mages, Warlocks, DKs, Ret Paladins, Disc/Shadow Priests

There is not a single "best class" but rather a handful of classes who could be considered the best which i named above.

But most importantly, it comes down to whoever played better/smarter in the moment. Thats the person who will probably win.

Whoever says anything different is not a real 1v1 duelist, and probably is not as good as they think they are at 1v1.
    Edited: December 29, 2018

First 1234 Last