1. Gold investment/preserving: what are the best items? (WotLK realms)

Hello everyone,

as you all probably know Warmane, once in a while, does a gold squish event that reduces all in game gold by 50% to improve realms economy. It's not a bad idea for those who play this game constantly, in my opinion. However, people who play during holidays (mainly) and have quite long breaks due to their work or studying (including me) might find that gold squish consumes a bit too much gold, since after that squish prices will eventually go higher while gold in your characters will remain the same (unless, of course, you play the game during gold halving).

So i was wondering if it is possible to save some gold (probably not much, but still) by investing it in some items? So that when you return to the game you regain more that 50% of gold. I assume that, for this to work you need stable (in price) items, that won't drop in value drastically. My guessing is that the perfect investment items are materials such as epic red/blue/yellow gems, Primordial Saronite or orbs since people are constantly buying and selling those items.

What do you think are the best investment items and why? Are there any better ideas to preserve gold? let me know :)

Thank you in advance!
    Edited: September 22, 2018

2. 264ilvl BoEs and Crafted items that cost 10k or more gold, those usually do not drop more than 3-5k (depening on their price).

3. gold squish causes more problems than it solves

4. If you have few hundred k leave it in gold and sell it for coins right after squish.
    Buy Portable Hole bags from vendor for 3k, sell them later bit cheaper. (Later means 6+ months, you can almost double your gold in a long run)
    I suggest investing in reagents and BoE's right now, sell it for x3 times the current price right before squish(to boost step 1)
    Selling reagents after squish will be at a loss, you can break even maybe after half a year. Better just let your gold be squished.