1. 2 vs 4 T10 pieces for Protection Paladin.

Hello guys, so I'm kinda lost on this question. Everywhere I look and everyone I ask they just give me a different answer. So can someone give me a definitive answer for this? Should I go with 2 pieces or 4 pieces of T10 items as protection paladin?

2. Hello guys, so I'm kinda lost on this question. Everywhere I look and everyone I ask they just give me a different answer. So can someone give me a definitive answer for this? Should I go with 2 pieces or 4 pieces of T10 items as protection paladin?
    there is no true BIS for protection paladins. its up to your preference, 2x T10 gives a little bit more raw stats and EHP while 4x T10 offers a small defensive CD.

3. 4P T10 all the way. Not only paladins are the most overpowered tanks when it comes to survivability (due to the incredible Ardent Defender talent) but they have the most overpowered 4set T10 (which is usually underrated).

Why? At BiS gear (hear mixed ilvl 264-277-284) an armor-geared protection paladin (armor gear is the best tanking gear for all tank classes, and that applies to paladins too) will have around 40% pure avoidance in ICC/RS (+10% block without holy shield, but that ain't really usefull). A prot paladin cannot be 2 hit killed (even on the harder Lordaeron server, because of the aswesome Ardent Defender talent), so you can only die to your own mistakes or through getting 3 hits in a row with very little heals inbetween.

At 40% avoidance, you have 21.6% chance to get 3 hits in a row. With the 4set bonus, while active, that chance is reduced to 12.5%. That's around 42% reduction of the probability of getting 3 hits in a row. Use this set bonus wisely along with your other cooldowns, and you cannot die unless healers stop healing you.

But 4set usage requires very good raid awareness and very good knowledge of encounter mechanics.

4. 4P T10 all the way. Not only paladins are the most overpowered tanks when it comes to survivability (due to the incredible Ardent Defender talent)
    If it weren't for the death prevention portion of the talent, they'd lose out to the Blood DK. And that's assuming that the death prevention may be necessary, because if it's not, then the Blood DK already wins.

but they have the most overpowered 4set T10 (which is usually underrated).
    I'd agree that it's underrated, but that doesn't mean it's not the weakest tank set bonus in the tier. A percent change to avoid a hit VS. flat mitigation. It really should be a no-brainer. Nevermind that you can't dodge spell damage.

Why? At BiS gear (hear mixed ilvl 264-277-284) an armor-geared protection paladin (armor gear is the best tanking gear for all tank classes, and that applies to paladins too) will have around 40% pure avoidance in ICC/RS (+10% block without holy shield, but that ain't really usefull). A prot paladin cannot be 2 hit killed (even on the harder Lordaeron server, because of the aswesome Ardent Defender talent), so you can only die to your own mistakes or through getting 3 hits in a row with very little heals inbetween.
    1. Avoidance != unmitigated hit. Block is part of the latter, not the former.
    2. It's interesting that the best armor ring in WotLK isn't amongst the ilvls you mention, despite you speaking to the effect of a paladin that stacks armor.
    3. "+10% block without holy shield, but that ain't really useful" Um what?
    4."even on the harder Lordaeron server"? Do I even need to comment on this?

At 40% avoidance, you have 21.6% chance to get 3 hits in a row. With the 4set bonus, while active, that chance is reduced to 12.5%. That's around 42% reduction of the probability of getting 3 hits in a row. Use this set bonus wisely along with your other cooldowns, and you cannot die unless healers stop healing you.
    Trying to use probability numbers to make it look good? How about the fact that the other tank's set bonuses are guaranteed damage reductions that you don't need to rely on probability at all to calculate the usefulness of them?

But 4set usage requires very good raid awareness and very good knowledge of encounter mechanics.
    I'd argue that the other 3 tanks require this, but not so much the Paladin, because you can still get punished from unlucky boss hits.

The set bonus, in my own opinion, is preferential and can be useful when you absolutely need to scrape the bottom of the barrel for an additional CD in niche situations, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Lastly, don't necro post. Read the forum rules before posting please. If you want to discuss the topic, please create a new thread. Thank you.