1. Which Ranged Dps to Choose?

First off - *** This is an opinion based question ***

I want to make a ranged dps character for (mostly) PvE. I don't know everything there is to know about every class (like rotations for each spec) which is why I am asking this.

I am having trouble deciding which to play for a few reasons.

1. Which is most 'fun?' I know thats a very subjective question. For me, a rotation that requires me to pay attention is fun - so I think something like an arcane mage would really bore me, for example.

2. Which RDps classes / specs are in need in this server? Maybe people don't want to see another (insert class) in their raid since there are already so many of them, but they're always looking for (insert class)

3. Which rdps classes / specs are just really not that great or unviable? For example, I considered making a shaman, but 80% of people told me unless I am going resto, don't waste my time.

Thanks for any advice in advance

2. i only know hunter and mage

i relly love hunt, my favorite class. In many icc (end game raid) boss u have "big reponsability" (for example for blood prince council u have to take care of orbs). U always hav something to do, i think its a skilled pve class; the rotation is easy as **** BUT u rly have to take care how u moove, MD at the good time.. in most boss you hsould be always focused

For mage, hoesntly, its rly easier to play. the rotation as fire mage is not rly hard... just dps and look at ur psition.. nothing more. But ur damage are amazng when u hav good gear

I remember in thepast i was also playing SP, honestly, even if u like th gameplay, dps as SP suck rly hard so if u like to deal big damage dont play it

3. classes that are in need mostly

demo warlock > ele shaman > spriest / boomy > hunter > mage. this is how things are from less populated class to most

4. dps as SP suck rly hard so if u like to deal big damage dont play it
    That means you played SP on wrong way. Im sure SP can be top dps if they know how to do it :3

I would recommend lock / boomy or SP tho.. Since Ele shamans arent raid priority

5. classes that are in need mostly

demo warlock > ele shaman > spriest / boomy > hunter > mage. this is how things are from less populated class to most
    This is true...
    The sad part is that when it comes to which class is more fun to play, its actually the other way arround.
    eks deee

6. I considered an ele sham, but most people told me not to even waste my time because they just don't perform at the level that they need to in this patch.

Is a demo lock the only spec that is really wanted / viable in endgame pve?

I also considered Spriest.. how well do they perform dps-wise and how valuable are they? I know they bring the Misery buff, but I can't think of any other special buffs they bring to a group that would make them wanted?

I think im between an Spriest and Lock at the moment, so any insight (in terms of dps, buff value, 'fun') into those two classes is very appreciated - but im also open to hearing people fight for others.

7. Ele sham is viable and gives great buffs but you won't be topping the damage meters. Its a pretty boring spec, you just lava burst and then spam lightning bolt. Its damage isn't high in particular, one reason being its set bonuses are pretty trash. Moonkin druid is next best/similar thing to Ele Sham and more fun to play. Moonkin changes it rotation based off procs like lunar eclipse. Anyway, both ele and moonkin are liked for their knockback ability but moonkin gets the edge for their battle ressurect, cyclone and innervate. Really though playing Shaman or Druid gives its unique perk of having the leather and mail gear all to themselves. Would definitely recommend for first class.
    Edited: October 22, 2018

8. My personal list of fun to boring.

1. Hunter
    2. Fire mage (ttw and ff)
    3. Boomie
    4. Shadow priest
    5. Affliction lock
    6. Destro lock
    7. Demo lock
    8. Elemental shaman
    9. Arcane mage

Dont ask me why.
    Its just my opinion.

And yeah what Whiteman said:

Altho i would put boomie on 2nd place

9. classes that are in need mostly[...]elemental
    Ele sham is viable and gives great buffs
    all of which can be provided by other classes
    Edited: October 22, 2018

10. Idk why people dislike demo locks, you turn into a demon, got spells like soul fire, curses, soulstone and summoning stone, it just sounds so badass.
    I started a long time ago with a lock and I still like it a ton. Hunter got boring quite fast for me, mage is OK, spriest is also OK, but not quite "fun", boomy is a big owl so that's a plus on the fun side, plus awesome aoe burst, thorns, battle rez, 5% haste, avoidance to the tank.
    If I were to start today I'd go lock or boomy.

11. Boomie, because next to everything other said, it also gives you an option to play any other role as well.

If you say want to change a bit around, you can go resto and heal, or feral tank or feral mdps.
    Most versatile class, and if you decide to PvP you can choose the spec you like the most.

12. all of which can be provided by other classes
    Wrong. The spellpower totem is unique. Besides they fill several buffs for a 10m raid

13. Wrong. The spellpower totem is unique. Besides they fill several buffs for a 10m raid
    Demo Warlock (a lot more spell power) + Retribution Paladin (3% crit chance debuff) = RiP Ele Shaman.
    Resto Shaman for Hero/Bloodlust, Spell Haste totem, Armor totem, only 3 things that make Shaman unique.

The only reason to play Elemental Shaman is PvP.

14. Demo Warlock (a lot more spell power) + Retribution Paladin (3% crit chance debuff) = RiP Ele Shaman.
    Resto Shaman for Hero/Bloodlust, Spell Haste totem, Armor totem, only 3 things that make Shaman unique.

The only reason to play Elemental Shaman is PvP.
    Could easily argue that you should replace resto shammy with other healers instead for their buffs while having ele. Besides you're disregarding the crit chance buff.
    Edited: October 26, 2018

12 Last