1. Able to change realmlist but not WTF folder contents

Hey guys I am trying to connect to warmane,

I have the WOTLK 3.5.5 client from a different private server but when I try to change the WTF folder contents (contains the old servers config.wtf) and start the game the old file is restored. Might be a noob pc question but how am I able to connect from this state? the gyazo attached is how my folder looks

https://gyazo.com/d35f7c1a9f4aa7c8739b1ce40758d4c4

thanks if anyone can help

2. First can I just say... You don't need to change any folder except the realmlist information since you downloaded the client through another server website.

Go to the Data folder, click enGB/US whatever it is for you... Find the "realmlist" file. It is classed as the "WTF file", right click and open with notepad, then change the realmlist info to the following...

set realmlist logon.warmane.com

Save it, then close it. Then start the wow.exe and play the game!

3. Yeah my realmlist is changed so that isnt the problem, I think the problem is that in my WTF folder there is this file called config.wtf and it has stuff from the old private server

https://gyazo.com/8401011d59b8898b033169797bc51362

everytime I try and delete this stuff and start the game the file just reverts back to this. I'm thinking that the client I downloaded is scuffed but not sure.

Was just wondering if there is a way to diagnose the problem without re-downloading because my internet is trash (australia)

4. That's your config folder which you shouldn't have changed or touched, and you definitely shouldn't have deleted anything either. It will automatically change... My client was downloaded from another private server as well but you should never touch anything else except the realmlist.wtf folder.

Let me explain for the realmlist.wtf folder again...
    -
    Find the folder you downloaded the client from...
    From there, you will see all the folders and the game client...
    From there you will see a folder called "Data"...
    From there you will see a folder likely called "enGB" click it...
    From there you will find your realmlist.wtf folder, which you will need to open and change.

But please and I cannot stress this enough... Do not change or delete anything in the config folder. I'm unsure what you've already deleted but you shouldn't have deleted anything. Your client game will/and should update the config folder based off the realmlist.wtf calling.

Example being my own:
    (Which changed automatically without me editing the config.wtf folder at all.)

SET locale "enGB"
    SET realmList "logon.warmane.com"
    SET hwDetect "0"
    SET gxWindow "1"
    SET gxResolution "1280x720"
    SET gxRefresh "60"
    SET gxMultisampleQuality "0.000000"
    SET gxFixLag "0"
    SET videoOptionsVersion "3"
    SET movie "0"
    SET Gamma "1.000000"
    SET readTOS "1"
    SET readEULA "1"
    SET readTerminationWithoutNotice "1"
    SET showToolsUI "0"
    SET accounttype "LK"
    SET Sound_OutputDriverName "System Default"
    SET Sound_MusicVolume "0.40000000596046"
    SET Sound_AmbienceVolume "0.60000002384186"
    SET farclip "507"
    SET gameTip "96"
    SET timingTestError "0"
    SET realmName "Icecrown"
    SET mouseSpeed "1.3500000238419"
    SET gxMaximize "1"
    SET particleDensity "0.40000000596046"
    SET groundEffectDist "80"
    SET environmentDetail "0.75"
    SET showGameTips "0"
    SET watchFrameWidth "1"
    SET uiScale "0.84"
    SET useUiScale "1"
    SET lastCharacterIndex "2"
    SET baseMip "1"
    SET weatherDensity "0"
    SET specular "1"
    SET groundEffectDensity "24"
    SET checkAddonVersion "0"
    SET accountName "godqueenfae"
    SET Sound_VoiceChatInputDriverName "System Default"
    SET Sound_VoiceChatOutputDriverName "System Default"

It should automatically change when you change the realmlist.wtf folder which will make the game follow said client.

5. Thank you so much I got it working now!! The problem was the realmlist I was changing was one in the folder, as I have done for classic wow private servers in the past, not the one in the data folder as you pointed out. Thanks a lot!!

6. Thank you so much I got it working now!! The problem was the realmlist I was changing was one in the folder, as I have done for classic wow private servers in the past, not the one in the data folder as you pointed out. Thanks a lot!!
    So glad I could be of assistance!