1. There aren't enough players to justify keeping a x1 Burning Crusade server open. You are a niche player.
    So then Obnoxious, why didn't you, in your infinite wisdom, give this advice to the development team so they wouldn't have wasted time and effort on something that was never going to work anyway?

Initial Medivh pop (first 6-7 weeks) was around 7k players on average but all the issues I mentioned in my reply caused them to leave. There was definitely a demand for it. There will always be a demand for non-Pay2Win realms. It didn't fail just because it was a '1x Burning Crusade "niche player" server'. If anyone needs a shrink it's your delusional self. You give all these irrelevant replies while wilfully ignoring the valid criticisms me and other players have given about of the way Medivh was (mis)handled.
    Edited: November 18, 2018

2. So then Obnoxious, why didn't you, in your infinite wisdom, give this advice to the development team so they wouldn't have wasted time and effort on something that was never going to work anyway?
    For starters, I'm not involved in the development. I disagree with decisions made and even argue against them on occasion, but the final call isn't mine. And then, it was worth a shot, as we had players asking for it and there was a chance it could go as a Lordaeron, with a smaller yet stable population. You seem unable to separate the concepts of "predicting the future" and "reaching a conclusion based on resulting evidence."

Initial Medivh pop (first 6-7 weeks) was around 7k players on average but all the issues I mentioned in my reply caused them to leave. There was definitely a demand for it. There will always be a demand for non-Pay2Win realms. It didn't fail just because it was a '1x Burning Crusade "niche player" server'. If anyone needs a shrink it's your delusional self. You give all these irrelevant replies while wilfully ignoring the valid criticisms me and other players have given about of the way Medivh was (mis)handled.
    So, let me ask you the same thing I already did like, what, three times now? Show me these amazing x1 "non-p2w" Burning Crusade servers out there with overflowing population. Or are you saying every single one of them mimicked your "mentioned issues" and failed because of that? I'll be skeptical about them all imitating us down to every single "issue." So with the "issues" out of the equation and plus the demand you claim exists, there HAS TO BE more than one extremely successful one out there - yet none of you can say there is even one.

Should I go ahead and post the Waiting Skeleton meme to save time?

PS: The irony of your Forum title while saying I need a shrink - and ignoring the reality that private server players simply prefer higher rates and low rates are very niche, no matter if there were "issues" or not - isn't lost.

3. How do you explain Nostalrius then? It's the single most successful (in terms of playerbase) 1x non-p2w private server to have ever existed. Why didn't all those people choose a cash shop server with higher rates instead? I'll tell you why; it's because there is and will always be a demand for those types of servers. It's not because you are that type of casual-instant-gratification modern gamer that you have to project that onto the entire potential playerbase.

One of the main reasons why Nostalrius was successful is because the scripting was very solid, much like the scripting for Medivh was. This was a big reason why people jumped at this opportunity. To play on a properly working 1x TBC server. Regardless of cash shop/rates; what other good TBC servers are even out there? As far as I know they are all a buggy mess. This is why Medivh's failure bothers me as It was the best chance a 1x TBC server had in a long time but it crumbled due to poor execution, not because of a lack of interest.

I don't need to link to any other servers because it's irrelevant to the topic. This thread was made to ask why this 1x server failed. It wasn't made for you to continously deflect blame and bring up "but what about other servers though" over and over again.
    Maybe you should leave this thread alone as you're clearly not interested in answering the question as to why Medivh failed.

For starters, I'm not involved in the development.
    You didnt have to mention that m8; It's more than obvious.
    Also, you've looked at my forum title for some kind of meaning; maybe you should look at your own name because it's way more accurate than my title. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. How do you explain <better censor the name> then?
    you know you're losing the argument when you have to come up with a vanilla server

5. you know you're losing the argument when you have to come up with a vanilla server
    Does it matter which version of the game it is? If anything vanilla's pace is even slower and it takes longer to achieve anything; which further goes against his "people dont want 1x/blizzlike" narrative

6. i think it doesnt matter if you compare any expansion to another, but vanilla to any expansion might be different, vanilla is slow as fck and people who like playing burning crusade may be less hyped about spending 2 month in azeroth to have all gear replaced in 30 min hellfire penisula

personally, I would prefer the x1 for vanilla but if I aim for some content in any expansion I really dont want to spend all that time on leveling the same zones again and again and again

7. Does it matter which version of the game it is? If anything vanilla's pace is even slower and it takes longer to achieve anything; which further goes against his "people dont want 1x/blizzlike" narrative
    not wanting doesn't = won't play on. it just shows that people will deal with low rates if that's the only option they have. a 1x vanilla realm being successful doesn't mean it wouldn't of wound up dead/lower pop had they opened a 5x vanilla realm. you don't have to look any further than the wrath realms to see that.

so what the rates now?
    5x

8. I don't need to link to any other servers because it's irrelevant to the topic. This thread was made to ask why this 1x server failed. It wasn't made for you to continously deflect blame and bring up "but what about other servers though" over and over again.
    Maybe you should leave this thread alone as you're clearly not interested in answering the question as to why Medivh failed.

(...)

Also, you've looked at my forum title for some kind of meaning; maybe you should look at your own name because it's way more accurate than my title. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I'll only address this, since people already covered the rest more than enough - not that you're going to listen to them, obviously, as that would mean accepting you're in a niche minority.

Other servers are completely relevant when you claim Medivh failed because of solely our mistakes. It's the only valid proof you could provide to show that x1 Burning Crusade servers prosper out there and only failed here. This thread is indeed about why this server failed, and it's the same reason you won't find any other capped x1 Burning Crusade server out there, which I addressed in my first post. You're the one who keeps deflecting the fact you like something most don't, creating an illusion where people crave the same you do, but we denied them it with mistakes.

Also, you do realize I choose my Forum name? It wasn't picked by someone else, it wasn't out of a list of available names, it was my very own choice. It's no wonder you can't understand why x1 Burning Crusade servers failed as a whole when you fail at wrapping your head around even something simple as that.

Now, you leave this thread as you aren't interested in answering the question, just in *****ing about certain decisions that were made and you disliked, blaming everything on them instead of what would kill it anyway in the long run.

9. A rather interesting topic here and having witnessed some of the points Laszxx brought up, I can only agree with him.

However, as Nostalrius has been mentioned (and Vanilla itself), I think a major point's been missed. In Vanilla, the leveling process represents far larger part of the journey than on any following expansion (at least the one in Azeroth pre-Cataclysm). I'm not saying for a second here that a x1 server is never going to be a good idea for TBC, don't get me wrong, but to my knowledge, there are quite interesting concepts out there from other private projects that are worth mentioning. Like for example, one way to deal with people not wanting to do classic x1 leveling on TBC is just speeding up the process. Make it x2 up to 55-56 level and then x1 for the actual content the people have come for in the first place. Of course, there are balance issues with that but I believe it's a rather worthwhile compromise.

I know it's just taken out of context but I'm trying to divert the subject to a more constructive one rather than bashing Obnoxious for whatever reasons.

10. A rather interesting topic here and having witnessed some of the points Laszxx brought up, I can only agree with him.
    If you agree with him that it was "all Wamunz fawt!1!!" because of certain decisions, and completely unrelated to the fact that private server players by a hugely vast margin prefer higher rates (which in this case is then coupled with Burning Crusade not being the experience most of them are used to), I extend to you the request for these x1 servers out there which are a major success because they didn't to the same mistakes we did.

PS: Not aimed at you, but in general... since I've received a PM from someone wanting to jokingly bet with me that if I got a reply to that request it would be something along the lines of "I can't because you then will ban me," people can feel free to PM me the names/links to these servers, one of which I'm feeling will be called "Unicorn WoW."

11. Straight up, Medivh failed because there was NEVER any pvp scene. Because all PvPers obviously went to Outland. Because Outland launched first. And also because they had Season 1 from launch. Case closed, and I played Medivh from the first couple months til they finally let us transfer.

12. Not surprisingly the people who have played on Medivh and replied to this thread have agreed with me. It's not just about me disliking them; I just put to words what a lot of people experienced on the server.
    I played here from the beginning until the merge and I agree with pretty much everything you said.
    The lack of PVP definitely played a big role, both in lack of gear and delayed season. A lot of my friends and guildmates were very frustrated with the lack of PVP and things to do outside of raids.

I also find it funny that somehow the fact that Outland opened up a month before isn't a big deal. When you've invested a month of time progressing and leveling, you're not going to drop that instantly. Sure the hardcore 1x purists will, but they are a very small minority.

I also acknowledge that 1x servers have issues sustaining people. Historically higher rates have more people and are more stable, but I feel like a lot of these problems that made the server spiral down could have been avoided.

13. I also find it funny that somehow the fact that Outland opened up a month before isn't a big deal. When you've invested a month of time progressing and leveling, you're not going to drop that instantly. Sure the hardcore 1x purists will, but they are a very small minority.
    As was countered by both myself and others, if the openings were inverted all that would happen would be what happened with Lordaeron and Icecrown. Lordaeron attracted a lot of players when it opened with a much improved core and lots of fixes Icecrown never had - this new core is the "opened before" in this case. Yet, as soon as that same core was implemented in Icecrown, we got what we have nowadays.

Which opened before would be irrelevant in the long run, it would at most just delay what happened anyway. The sole way Medivh could have succeeded isn't if it opened first, but if there never had been an Outland with higher rates - which circles back to the very first thing I posted.

I also acknowledge that 1x servers have issues sustaining people. Historically higher rates have more people and are more stable, but I feel like a lot of these problems that made the server spiral down could have been avoided.
    And then for you again I propose the same challenge: if these problems you list are the cause, not players' preferences for higher rates, where are the servers out there that didn't have those problems and hence should have the players we lost capping them daily? It's just logical that if you remove what people say was the cause for Medivh to die out, the same type of server should be a success elsewhere, but even the good quality ones, the ones people here left to go play and advertised in game to get others to move with, are gone. Why are they all gone if they didn't have our problems, didn't make our mistakes, and there are enough players wanting x1 Burning Crusade servers?

Again, the problems and mistakes at most hastened what was going to happen from the moment there was a higher rate option available, no matter if before or after. Medivh was like opening a pork restaurant in a Jewish neighborhood. It doesn't matters if the chef cooked something bad, it didn't matter if there was too little seasoning on this or that, it doesn't matters if the Kosher restaurant opened before or after the pork one. Yes, there are Jews who will eat pork, but not enough of them to maintain the pork restaurant on their own. That's also the reason no one has stepped up to show these successful Jewish pork restaurants out there.

14. Why did you remove my reply that I posted yesterday? The one uldott1 quoted is nowhere to be seen anymore. Also noticed you edited your own reply after deleting mine so nobody could see what I quoted from you. Alright. Go ahead and show the edit history now then, like you've done before in this thread.
    Edited: November 21, 2018

First 1234 Last