1. Prot Pala Battlegrounds

Hi all,

I almost exclusively play battlegrounds (i usually VP or coin BIS weapons) and i was thinking about leveling a paladin, but i'm not sure if it's worth doing since i will almost only play protection, which will be my first tanking toon.

I was reading this guide http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php?t=325552 but i am unsure if it's up to date or if the spec is just a gimmick compared to retribution.

I have a resto shaman already so i don't think i will be playing holy spec, and i have a DK that i THINK i can respec for tanking, so is there enough of a difference between prot warrior/blood dk effectiveness in pvp/BGs to warrant making a brand new paladin just for the spec?

2. Playing ret and holy in bgs and its fun cant say anything about prot but you shouldnt compare a dk tank with a pala tank in pvp

Dk has more spells to peel or cc (dg silence slows) a enemie ,on the other hand pala has really good support spells(hop hof loh ss etc), so if you like to play a pvp tank you should think about what you want .

But a expierenced prot can give you a way better insight about it soo i would try to find one ingame or so :p

3. First of all u should be aware that protret and prot warr are NOT very tanky in PvP because in order to deal dmg with these specs u need lots of pve gear.
    A prot warr has usually exclusively pve gear gear to reach 100% arp. That makes him a glass cannon in pvp with 0 resilience but high dmg output and lots of CC.
    As protret u have usually ~400-600 resilience and rest pve gear. U are more resistant than a prot warr but still far away from beeing tanky. Ur dmg is comparable to a ret pala and u have a extra silence but less heal.

If ur goal is to be resistant in pvp then I guess u are better of playing a full pvp geared arms warr with +1400 resilience and a stamina trinket or a UH DK with similar gear.
    In such gear u are still able to deal a decent amount of dmg while having lots of self sustain.
    If u play with similiar gear a blood dk, prot warr or prot pala then u'll deal close to no dmg and opponents will just kite u to death.
    Edited: November 24, 2018

4. Im not a sofisticated ProtPala in PvP, but Arena and BattleGrounds are 2 different things.

A ProtPala in BattleGround is a support character. Buffs, Heal, Stuns. You are there to stun the healer that can save someone, or protect a good DPS who is ganked. I saved lots of Flags transporters with a stun and heal, or dispeling a slow.

Some fights can last 60 seconds, thats 2 stuns, some heals, 2 dispell slow debuff... In Lordaeron I kill a few, but saved a lot. If you want to go and kill, well, not. If you play for the objetives, its not the BIS, but you had fun with a good team.

2v2 or 3v3 right now with the crossrealm its retri or healer.

5. Im not a sofisticated ProtPala in PvP, but Arena and BattleGrounds are 2 different things.

A ProtPala in BattleGround is a support character. Buffs, Heal, Stuns. You are there to stun the healer that can save someone, or protect a good DPS who is ganked. I saved lots of Flags transporters with a stun and heal, or dispeling a slow.

Some fights can last 60 seconds, thats 2 stuns, some heals, 2 dispell slow debuff... In Lordaeron I kill a few, but saved a lot. If you want to go and kill, well, not. If you play for the objetives, its not the BIS, but you had fun with a good team.

2v2 or 3v3 right now with the crossrealm its retri or healer.
    I think that both dps oriented PvP paladins (Prot and Ret) are in support role. Paladins are far more than just a dps class. Many paladin players tend to forget this and play retribution only because it’s pretty easy to do significant damage with little skill involved which is why more often you’ll find Retribution (I keep saying retribution as 95% of dps oriented paladins are retri on this server) paladin who has no idea what Hands do and when to use them, thinking cleansing is for women and healers(women are healers right? True men don’t heal, they dps big numbers).

I just started to play Prot PvP and I’m pretty close to BiS going with plenty of PvE (as Jakkre said) gear, but he’s not right when it comes to being tanky. Protection PvP paladin is exteremely tanky even without much resilience due to very nice defensive cooldowns, lots of armor and higher health pool. This tankyness applies MOSTLY to MDPS. It’s important to know your abilities when it comes to fighting other classes. You will have problems killing decently geared helaer, but you’ll be pleasently surprised how you’re cutting through mostly PvE geared shadowmourne mdps out there with your crits and how many issues they have to cut you down due to Shields, Block Value, your talents (Redoubt) or loads of armor.

You can increase your survivability at the cost of damage by going for slightly more stamina and way more resilience:
    4/5 Wrath Main Set
    1x Retri HC Gloves for hit
    Wrath Wrist, Belt, Boots (items that give str), Medallion if horde or keeping two DPS trinkets as human and going for Wrath Neck/Ring/Back.

This of course doesn’t mean you’ll beat a good caster in a duel, you won’t, you’ll just have slightly more chance, however - we’re talking about battlegrounds here - It might mean a lot if you’re alone somewhere or you’re carrying that flag in Warsong.

I can say that I’m very happy with it, as it suites my gamestyle. However, don’t think it’s not tanky or capable of very nice burst. It’s all gear-related.
    Edited: December 21, 2018

6. I'd say a arena geared prot ret isn't more tanky than a ret paly. By arena geared I mean 2x t10, strength offsets and 600 resilience at a max.
    Yes, against melee opponents he survives longer than a ret but in return rdps kill him with ease. You'd be surprised how fast a destro lock can kill a prot ret...
    Sure, he is tanky in full pvp gear with like 1200 resilience but like that he doesn't deal enough dmg.

Regarding his role as supporter: I'd say that a ret paly is more of a supporter than a prot ret. As ret you can switch to a healing one-hand and shield and use AoW procs to heal your team mates.
    As prot ret you also have a decent repertoire of abilitys to support your mates but you can barely heal them. In order to heal you have to cancel divine plea and hardcast heals which is mostly not worth it.
    Compare that to the supporter capability of a prot warr or a rog. They can stun lock the opponent, disarm him and silence him and that all on low CD. I'd say they are equal, if not better than a Prot pala when it comes to supporting the team mate.