1. It being a waste is your opinion though. If the OP wants to YOLO with a full set of pve gear, let em. Arguing that point just defeats the purpose of the thread. The topic hinges on that "IF".
    Where exactly do I forbid him to do what he wants to? I don't.
    I'm just giving my opinion on it. God forgive me.

2. The amount of damage a SoR ret can do in PvP and PvE gear is insanely different. You nuke people so hard in PvE gear it's not even funny sometimes - especially with Wings and say berserking from BG. I transmogged my PvE gear into PvP and when I jump on healers I often hear their screams when I take 70% of their hp in a single attack. The numbers are quite different even tho it might not seem like that.

Playing with SoC is a waste imo, SoR is where everything's at - since you want to annihilated targets one by one, not spread your damage around. And I doubt that a SoC ret with same amount of skill as SoR ret will have more kills and damage on the scoreboard.

For pure bgs it's a good spec/gear to use IF you're skilled and it's also fun as hell.

The thing is that I wouldn't suggest it to someone who's playing the ret for the first time or has very little experience with it, you can beat most classes even 1v1 in pve gear, but you need to know how to play in order to do that.
    Also I wouldn't suggest it to an inexperienced player because he'll die way too much in PvE gear even in groups. You need to learn quite a bit about positioning as well both in PvP and PvE gear - which isn't the same either.
    Edited: December 9, 2018 Reason: Fixed typos and added additional info.

First 12