1. Battleground Etiquette: Principles for Better Play

All of us want to win. I'm not only talking about seeing a window that says "Alliance Wins!" or "Horde wins!". Actually, every player has his own definition of winning. We've seen "purists" who tend to go for the kill than play the right tactics. There are also selfish guys in Eye of the Storm who take the flag hostage until all four bases are occupied to get the achiv. Basically, we judge each other's actions to find a reason how we won (and how we lost).

I'm here to bring up that to win in this game it's not all about skill or tactical knowledge... but what kind of character you possess. Now I know each of you are entitled to act upon your own principles. And some may have no principle at all. That's perfectly fine. However, our shared experiences allow us to mutually agree on certain values and standards that benefit the community. The truth is: we need each other to enjoy this game at its fullest.

I've experienced countless victories, losses and dramas. While there are countless lessons to be learned, I thought about condensing them to a set of principles. This is not to provide an end-all-be-all solution, but to give our PvPers an affirmative action-based perspective.

1. Open Game Principle - Every player regardless of condition has the right to join. They have the right to leave as well.

This is why I don't think it's healthy for the community to tell low-geared players to leave. You have to understand that BGs particularly in WotLK aren't rated so they're designed to accommodate any player.

On the other hand, when a player isn't being unpleasant or feeling unpleasant, he needs to understand he is free to leave at all times. Forcing yourself to stay for the sake of earning a few tokens is usually the cause for toxicity.

2. Collective Effort Principle - A team only succeeds with their collective effort. Like an army, sometimes it's best to simply follow orders.

This is probably the hardest principle to live by because the general nature of gamers of selfish. If the team is in a state of confusion or deliberately showing no effort, you have the voice to call them out. This is done not to spread fires, but to actually calm them down and get them back to the game. If you disagree with something, try to make it about what he said, not who he is.

3. Principle of Face - A player's reputation is delicate, so communicate with civility.

As a healer, I've been publicly called out for my performance many times. There were a few instances in which my reputation as a healer who "let players die" has caused distrust and annoyance. Unfortunately, their opinions are not completely true. Even if it's true, their words still de-motivated me... I even stopped playing for a week at one point.

If you have a problem with a player's performance, whisper him instead. Only call him out when his actions have a greater impact for the team. Also be careful of AFK-blaming.

4. Principle of Independence - While collective effort is important, a player must also understand his sole actions can change the pace of the battle.

This is how leaders are born through courage and initiative. When the rest of the team thinks they're losing, you ought to find that small leeway towards victory.

For example, in Alterac Valley at one time, my team wiped out of the Horde mini-boss and couldn't retake Stonehearth and there was only about 4 mins left. Everybody was whining. Then I decided to cap Iceblood GY to slow down the opposing team and buy my team some time to re-group. To their surprise we won. Even though none credited my actions, I was still happy, which brings me too...

5. The Love Principle

Simple messages of appreciation such as "gg", "good job" and "thanks" make a big difference. Sometimes we only say it to make ourselves feel better. But there are times they're well-earned after a hard-fought battle.

6. Consequence Principle - Your actions now always determine what's next.

What goes around comes around: When you show little effort, expect your chances of winning to be slim. When you choose to be an *******, expect some people to treat you like ****.

So in times when you feel bitter or angry yet you wanna play, what should you do? I suggest to take an introspective. Maybe playing BGs isn't your remedy... maybe ganking is.

7. Principle of Preparation - Success is 10% luck, 40% perspiration and 50% preparation.

The best PvPers keep re-calibrating for the next battle. They duel, research the best gear and stats, and make many mistakes. While you don't have to take the game as seriously as the "pros", it's your responsibility to better yourself by doing homework.

8. The Formula - Swagger + Concentration = Winning the Game

Don't be afraid to show your true colors. Some are bossy and impolite because they want to feel confident. You may not like their attitude but learn to live with it. YOU AREN'T PERFECT, so these PRINCIPLES ARE IDEALS NOT STANDARDS.
    Edited: December 9, 2018

2. "IT IS healthy for the community to tell low-geared players to leave" ... there, i fixed it for you.

You can't say those principles after you say "useless lowbies shouldn't be told to leave".

"designed to accommodate any player" ... right, that's why when the team that has a ton of lowbies not only do they lose but they get farmed like crazy. Damn this accomodation is awesome.

"A team only succeeds with their collective effort." ... a collective effort of a 2k gs team = sure win right ? Oh, wait, it doesn't mean that.

First you go in fos pos toc5. You ask on global for people to help you. Out of 12k players online, it's impossible not to form a team fast. Instead of wasting 2 weeks by ruining bgs for yourself and for others, you can get 5k gs in about 3 days assuming you are unlucky with gear. if you are lucky, you can get gear faster.
    After you get gear, then you can start to actually help the team and not be a burden.

"Only call him out when his actions have a greater impact for the team" ... lowbies n bots n afk. Got it.

"The best PvPers keep re-calibrating" ... their scripts :))

"The Love Principle" ... X_X

Other than the lowbie problem, the post is ok (except for the love part [kill it with fire]).

3. 4. Principle of Independence
    Then I decided to cap Iceblood GY to slow down the opposing team and buy my team some time to re-group. To their surprise we won.
    this is literally the analogy of horde capping stonehearth gy and one should call it the principle losing slow and painfully unless someone else carries. capping those is sort of enabling the hard mode for your team in av
    Edited: December 9, 2018