1. [WoTLK] NPCScan -ALL- Rares (World & Instances)

Hello Warmane! I've only recently started to play here (only a handful of days total so far!) but I'm having a great time basking in the nostalgia and fun.

When I was putting my UI / addons together, I noticed NPCScan didnt have a list of all the rares (only the BC / WoTLK world rares) and I remembered having to make my own custom list back in the day. Well, I've done it again and I wish to share it with all of you.

--- INSTRUCTIONS ---

> Make sure WoW is not open

> If you don't have it already, download the NPCScan addon and install it

> Navigate to your character's 'saved variables' folder
    EXAMPLE: C:\GAMES\WoW 3.3.5a\WTF\Account\ACCOUNTNAME\SERVERNAME\CHARACTE RNAME\SavedVariables

> Once inside, locate the _NPCScan.lua file and open it in your text editor of choice and delete the entire contents (you may back this up in some fashion if you desire) and paste THIS CODE inside of it.

> Save the file & run WoW.

> Happy hunting!

A lot of credit goes to WoWInterface.com user Demontjuh for doing a lot of the tedious work already (found his work in the comments section).

I re-formatted the LUA and added in dungeon rares. If you find an error, please let me know!
    Edited: December 24, 2018

2. This doesn't seem to work. I followed the steps, have the addon enabled, have no other addons enabled, and loaded in with a rare mob in sight, and got no warning. Any ideas?

3. Ah, never mind - I fixed it. Suggest you add the following to the steps above:

> Go to WoW\Cache\WDB\enGB
    > Delete creaturecache.wdb

4. I would just like to state that this still does not list all rares.

5. I would just like to state that this still does not list all rares.
    Would you provide a list of those potential missing rares please?

6. I did a lot of research and only came up with dead links, But it seems like the .lua doesn't include Burning Crusade mobs located in Azeroth, *Finessa the Assassin* Being the one I first noticed, I have a feeling even more rare mobs are missing as well. I attempted to use another addon to resolve this *_NPCScanEx but had no luck.

Since then I have removed NPCScan and started using *Silverdragon*, The interface isn't as useful as NPCSCan as you cant open a menu and search for specific mobs.. But It still works 100% on all rare mobs. tested it in the wetlands and It brings up a special tool-tip box with target, utilizing with rangefinder helped a great deal I ended up killing all the rares in wetlands and even got 2 of the 3 rares from Nagrand.

Silverdragon imo seems far more effective, Although I really liked the idea of NPCScan showing paths on the map.
    NPCScan possibly more useful for Achievement rares but not what I was looking for overall.

Either way Good Hunting.
    Edited: January 21, 2020

7. I did alot of research and only came up with dead links, But it seems like the .lua doesnt include Burning Crusade mobs located in Azeroth, *Finessa the Assassin* Being the one I first noticed, I have a feeling even more rare mobs are missing as well. I attempted to use another addon to resolve this *_NPCScanEx but had no luck. Since then I have removed NPCScan and started using *Silverdragon*, The interface isnt as useful as NPCSCan as you cant open a menu and search for speciffic mobs.. But It still works 100% on all rare mobs. tested it in the wetlands and It brings up a special tooltip box with target, utilizing with rangefinder helped a great deal I ended up killing all the rares in wetlands and even got 2 of the 3 rares from Nagrand.

Silverdragon imo seems far more effective, Although I really liked the idea of NPCScan showing paths on the map.
    NPCScan possibly more useful for Achievement rares but not what I was looking for overall.

Either way Good Hunting.
    NPCScan_Overlay only shows achievement-related rares

8. I love you so much, finally tamed Mazzranache with this

Thanks!

9. Hello Warmane! I've only recently started to play here (only a handful of days total so far!) but I'm having a great time basking in the nostalgia and fun.

When I was putting my UI / addons together, I noticed NPCScan didnt have a list of all the rares (only the BC / WoTLK world rares) and I remembered having to make my own custom list back in the day. Well, I've done it again and I wish to share it with all of you.

--- INSTRUCTIONS ---

> Make sure WoW is not open

> If you don't have it already, download the NPCScan addon and install it

> Navigate to your character's 'saved variables' folder
    EXAMPLE: C:\GAMES\WoW 3.3.5a\WTF\Account\ACCOUNTNAME\SERVERNAME\CHARACTE RNAME\SavedVariables

> Once inside, locate the _NPCScan.lua file and open it in your text editor of choice and delete the entire contents (you may back this up in some fashion if you desire) and paste THIS CODE inside of it.

> Save the file & run WoW.

> Happy hunting!

A lot of credit goes to WoWInterface.com user Demontjuh for doing a lot of the tedious work already (found his work in the comments section).

I re-formatted the LUA and added in dungeon rares. If you find an error, please let me know!
    have you heard of SilverDragon ?

10. July 6, 2021  
    Wow, thank you for sharing. This is so useful and great. _NPCScan.Overlay, not soo much, but that's okay.

11. Pls help me npcscacn test sound is not working what can i do?

12. Map bug

hello there

Idk why i cant see the map icons or the paths that the "rear mobs" are any tips how can i fix that ?

13. Priceless Info!

Found this through Google... Even if I am necroing this thread this is STILL invaluable information!!! Thank you to the OP for posting this.

14. guys any npc finder addon that works? pls share link im trying like crazy all day cant find any thats good :'(