1. In Denmark we always pay around 50% in tax, so it is very realistic :-)

2. The squish is necessary because of the bots, say thank you to them!
    Correct. All in-game gold is CREATED from 3 sources: Quest rewards, mob gold drops, and mob item drops (gray trash, vendorable items). Bots farm mobs infinitely and are generating tons of gold coins.

PS: Gold is NOT generated by people who farm mats and sell them on the AH. That's just re-distributing gold that's already ingame from other players.

So a guy asked why would you have million or bunch of gold in your pocket if you don't use it ? No one answered, and that settles it.
    Correct. Those piles of gold have absolutely no value. In retail TBC, I was a "fat cat". I played the auction house mini-game more than I played the actual game. I bought low, sold high, and became extremely rich. The fun for me was in seeing how much gold I could get per day/week.

Did I ever spend that gold? No. Not really... I bought the engineering chopper, the mekgineer motorbike, epic flying on all characters, etc. Sure. But most of the gold just sat there, unused. Since my actual worn gear came from raid drops, and I already had fast flying, I didn't need my extra gold.

at first glance cutting gold in half seems like a good idea, reduce inflation. however i would say that the vast majority of gold on the server is held by a relatively small amount of people. As someone else mentioned the fat cats drive the prices up. Gold comes into the server and is spread through the economy, eventually settling in fat cats who spend time manipulating the auction house.
    What people often forget is that Gold leaves the server through gold sinks. repair, item purchases etc.. The game has many wonderful gold sinks built in that most people will reach after a certain amount of time on a character that can end up pulling 40k-100k per character out of the economy. However these gold cuts will often result in reducing the amount of gold the average player has so that they dont end up using these gold sinks as they are out of reach (if you have 20k across all your toons and you know the gold cut is coming you may decide to hoard gold so you can still repair after instead of buying that mount you were saving up for).
    I believe a better solution is to add in more gold sinks, particularly aimed at the higher end characters, or implement a tax on higher quantities of gold. A tax can be done in one of 2 ways, the total gold on the account (gold, mailbox etc...) is taxed at a logarithmic rate capping at say 65% but starting at like 10%. This has the advantage of targeting people with more gold while not hurting the more casual players without a lot of gold.
    Combine this with giving these players more items to use gold on,, say buying TCG card items (path of illidan, foam sword rack and other common and uncommon cards would be perfect gold sinks) Give Landro Longshot something to do! (and create more of a PVP zone in Booty Bay).
    I had been thinking along this path too. Having a logarithmic curve, with heavier penalties for people with huge stashes, sounds good. But people would just spread the gold across tons of alts.

So that problem would have to be solved first: How to identify what alts a person owns?

I think the following:

- All characters on the same account: Their gold is combined and counted as a single "chunk". Let's say 8 characters with 200 gold each: 1600 gold.
    - All accounts on the same email address: Their gold is combined and counted as a single "chunk". Let's say 10 accounts with 1600 gold each: 16000 gold.
    - All accounts with different email but majority of the time are being played by the same IP address (this would need server technology to track IP history and playtimes, to detect what IP is used for which accounts and for how long, so that it takes the MAJORITY-time IP address and then groups all accounts that used the same IP for the majority of their playtime): Combine those too.

Then, reduce gold on a scale like (Outland TBC examples):

People with < 200 gold: 0%
    People with < 1000 gold: 20%
    People with < 5000 gold: 50%
    People with more than 5000 gold: 75%

etc...

3. Regarding the IP tracking above: Yeah some people could use proxies/VPNs to hide their IPs. But it would still be extremely hard for them to abuse the system. They'd need separate emails for all accounts and they would need 1 character per account (since multiple chars gold are all counted together), and they would need TONS of IP addresses. So it would be very hard to spread the gold across enough accounts to reduce the squish effect on yourself... Furthermore, anyone using a VPN would risk getting grouped with other people who use the same VPN IP, and get detected as the same person and get "combined" for gold counting purposes, so VPNs wouldn't really let them escape, hehe.

So how about it, Warmane? These ideas would let you balance the gold squishes on a rising scale, to not hit casual players hard.

4. People with < 200 gold: 0%
    People with < 1000 gold: 20%
    People with < 5000 gold: 50%
    People with more than 5000 gold: 75%

etc...
    Oh and I forgot: This should be on a smooth scale... So if you have 1500 gold, you would get taxed something like "28%" or whatever. Smoothly rising tax the more you have, to ensure fairness. Otherwise it would suck if you had 4999 gold and got 50% tax, and 5001 gold got 75% tax. ;-)

5. I agree.

Rewards were utter .... like every year. Except some coins and points.
    Yes, yes they were. Those of us who donated a hell of a lot the extra coins we're nice but the halfway broken raids were painful.

Vote points marketplace is disaster and earning points is slow. No lower level items too.
    I agree and with the lack of support on items currently bugged or in general it is craptastic.
    -
    No lottery anymore. Why?
    Isn't that better way to squish gold? To give some nice icc gear or mounts ? We had lottery before, what happened???
    I would guess it took too much time.

It's about the fact that WoW itself generates gold: Gray trash items, quest rewards vendored for gold, and gold rewards from quests.

This is a constant influx of gold into the server. And then that gold gets redistributed when people buy/sell items. The end result is a bunch of fat cats with huge stashes of gold.

Then, the fat cats decide to buy/sell even pricier items, for even more bloated prices, since they know that other fat cats will can afford to buy them.
    They could also stop the mass influx in gold by eliminating multi-boxing which is how a good portion of that gold is created in the world. When you can create and run entire 40 man Winter grasp teams and generate 40 accounts worth of gold and 40 accounts worth of materials, products and auction house items.

Yes, it sucks for those who have stockpiled tens of thousands of gold... but so what. It's necessary unless we want servers with 100 million gold.
    Already well surpassed that mark. Nothing harmful other than the panics people started with fake news of squishes.

But more people aren't entering. There's just more gold and the same number of people. The off-peak player numbers aren't significantly higher than they were 6 months ago (based purely on my recollection, but there sure aren't twice as many accounts registered and active.)
    And this has been the case every year they do a squish and every year the same argument is made and every year they flatly ignore logic, squish the gold and encourage the behavior they claim they are fixing

6. All the gold i got atm is from trade store that i bought it with coins.I demmand to give me back the coins of the gold u ll take from me cause i have paid with my money for this.
    I think someone needs to read what a donation is xD

So many people are frustrated that Warmane is doing the squish but almost noone actually remembers that they said they're going to do this on yearly basis...

And for those who say that squish does not make sense... Total amount of money on the serwer does not care who owns how much. Total amount of money on the serwer is cut by half and that's it. Some people wonder why didn't it happen in December/January. Probably serwer hadn't gone above the threshold back then. We all generated enough gold throughout last year to cross the threshold and serwer needs the squish.

I would like to thank Warmane very much for keeping the economy healthy by doing squish

7. yeah hpala items are cheap. but go and try to buy a batterd hilt for pre-icc weapon (14k atm) a choker BoE for casters (40k atm), primordial saronites for a SE (this morning 850g now 1400) or 15 gems at 300+ each to fully gem a character (a grand total of 4500g), potions at 50g+ each and other necesary items. new players dont have the means to generate this massive ammounts of gold
    You realise the droprate of BH and BQL Choker is very low,thus they are/they became pricy.As for consumables if you don't farm the mats it's costly to buy mats(probably because of the low supply - prices increase bc not enough mats are farmed) - thus their price increases.
    For Primordials,i just got more than 10 just by raiding bi-weekly on three toons and playing casually on others - an icc run pretty much guarantees one and a half one with just one character from eof - with one character you can get 81 eof each week.You can also buy gem mats from converted eot or honor,there's absolutely no reason to buy gems in the ah.
    New players is a bad argument unless they are lazy to farm anything,if you work hard,do your daily quests and sell mats you farmed/gathered you can easily get by.
    My 2 cents: I feel bad for the guys that bought gold with coins,rip. And even though i play very casually nowadays,the squish won't have a dire effect on me,and probably won't on any older players too.

8. I'd also like to add that bringing back the lottery would have a way better effect on people's gold stashes,or how about making an npc ingame for a black market ah,or on the website?These would be a better way to deal with any percieved or real inflation.

9. Hello everyone. Im new to WoW and I have some questions related with this topic.

All the gold is going to 50%. Ok
    1. But, is the item's gold value is going to be reduced?
    2. The amount of things you have , ex. (iron bars) will be reduced too?

Thanks to all

10. if you take a picture of your bank gold, it will last forever

11. Just a few days before Christmas I asked in this threat below if there will be a gold squish
    http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php?t=395250

Mercy said it wont happen anytime soon and when i asked for better clarification regarding the time of gold squish, this multiboxer started posting nonsesne stuff.
    it is no surprise that mercy supported him, just by the fact that hes a multiboxer but my question is, why the hell did you claim that this gold squish wont happen anytime soon when youre announcing it just a month after christmas AND only a month before it takes place. Do the players in this server look like toys to you to play? wheres your multiboxer now to start trash talking about this comment? the same multiboxers who farm nearly 200k gold per week!

12. well, i spend coints on some of my gold and now u wanna remove half of my payed gold?

Honnestly if this happen i think i will just quit warmane as i barly have any gold in the first place as i only come on to raid buy few flask and log off.

13. Bold Cardinal ruby costs like 400g now, and I was forced to buy a battered hilt for 16k, so I think that is too much. Doesn't really matter to me though because gold is so easy to make, any upgrade you get you can make enough gold in a day to gem and enchant it easy just doing daily quests. Remember on retail WoTLK you only got 13g per quest turn in. Here you get 47g. So life is still a lot easier than retail even if they take away all the gold.

14. I have nothing against gold squish, but you should not have announced it.
    If anything I would encourage going for 95-99% of everyone's gold without announcing it. Here is why:

1. All of those players selling gold/coins for coins/euro start raising prices in AH and Trade on website, last November expecting squish will happen sometime around New Year. If you were farming for gold to buy coins you would notice this. They were picking extra profit just based on the fact squish is late. The prices gone higher now because everyone else learned what many of us already knew: Squish will happen again. By announcing this you gave time to those gold farmers to raise their prices.

2. Every year, in 2nd part of the year you are able to see players selling coins for euros in yell/say/trade/global chat. Last few weeks SW was full of those. If you were to squish their gold by 95% 2 years in a row maybe they would realize it is time to get some real job.

3. Most of the players complaining here donate 0-10 euros complain about their gold and Warmane rewards, like this server owes them something. Server does not live of your Ulduar, Eternal Shadow/Fire, Gems farming. People selling coins for Euros is something that affect us all and if this is the only way to do it I support it.

P.S. If you did not see this coming, please stop giving advice to Warmane how they should run their server. If you clearly cannot run your bank account in game, why do you think you can manage real bank account that makes this server alive and give paychecks to the people who work here.

Instead of being negative, try to learn something from this experience. Because I am just looking at my magic ball right now, and guess what it says: It will happen again next year.

15. Just a few days before Christmas I asked in this threat below if there will be a gold squish
    http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php?t=395250

Mercy said it wont happen anytime soon and when i asked for better clarification regarding the time of gold squish, this multiboxer started posting nonsesne stuff.
    it is no surprise that mercy supported him, just by the fact that hes a multiboxer but my question is, why the hell did you claim that this gold squish wont happen anytime soon when youre announcing it just a month after christmas AND only a month before it takes place. Do the players in this server look like toys to you to play? wheres your multiboxer now to start trash talking about this comment? the same multiboxers who farm nearly 200k gold per week!
    In the thread u linked, noone from Warmane's Staff said that gold squish "is not going to happen anytime soon".

First ... 4567816 ... Last