1. perfect set up and strategy to beat unholy dks in duels?

looking for advice, talents, etc, anything you wanna tell me, best way to deal with gargoyle, etc

2. If it's a good DK, you don't.

3. You do Mercy, even the good ones :p

For starters:
    1h + Shield + Bauble of True Blood. If you're Blood Elf - if your resil is above 1k without medallion you might as well use DV HC (or whatever dps trinket you have) + Bauble.

Start with 1h+shield and full mana. Try to kite the DK while attacking him with ONLY white attacks and just spam cleanse until he uses Death Coil and makes you unable to remove his diseases - you should screw up his rotation quite a bit by spamming cleanse in the beginning. Cast instant FoL (if you're not full HP), switch to 2h after you get Unholy Blight debuff (if he's not a noob and doesn't instant Gargoyle) do the rotation - Crusader > DS > Judgement, if you get his HP down a bit do HoJ and try to force his trinket. When DK uses AMS switch to his pet (don't use attacks on DK, especially not Judgement so you don't fill his RP) if the DK is not full HP you might as well kill his pet while you're at it.

Now the gargoyle part depends on your glyphs - if you have Turn Evil glyph, you will use it to fear gargoyle. If you have Hand of Salvation glyph you will kill the garg.
    Turn Evil Glyph:
    Once he uses Gargoyle - while Garg is flying down use DP quickly before he uses strangulate and switch to 1h + shield. After he strangulates you use Divine Sacrifice and keep attacking the DK (do not use Turn Evil UNTIL your Divine Protection comes down - once your DP is down, fear the Garg - now depending on your HP here you will either switch to 2h or stay in 1h+shield - if you're above 80% switch to 2h - You can also switch to Seal of Light if you can't outheal him with FoL procs (I save bauble of true blood as last resort, use it if you need to heal with it) - or even repentance, but I suggest you save it for later if possible.

After that just keep fearing the Garg and keep attacking the DK. If you didn't use repentance earlier and you forced his trinket with HoJ, after his gargoyle is gone and your HoJ is ready/almost ready to be used again you can repentance him so you can kill his pet in peace. After that you can just HoJ + Wings and he should be either dead or dying. If the DK doesn't get you with his Gargoyle burst then you as a ret have an upper hand.

4. You do Mercy, even the good ones :p
    Sounds like you haven't fought a good one then. You either lose, or it's an endless fight that goes on until someone gets bored or tired. Which, by the way, doesn't count as beating them.

Not surprised you'd try to comment like this though. You always seem to have the need to 1-up me whenever I post in this section.

Shouldn't be focusing on 1v1 anyway.

5. I really doubt that in 10 years I haven't fought a good DK. And no I'm not trying to 1-up, I literally explained how to fight a Udk and be able to win in most cases. Sure you can get **** luck on crits or something and lose, but that doesn't happen that often.

If it's an Unholy DK it won't be an endless duel even as the good one. If they stack resil/PvP offset they don't have nearly enough damage to kill you and yet you can still kill them. And if they have a PvE offset, if you survive their Gargoyle burst it's most likely that you'll win because when it's no-cd fight a paladin has an upper hand as I've said above.

If it's an Unholy with Blood offspec and full resil gear then it's an endless duel because he can't kill you and you can only kill him if you get lucky.

He shouldn't focus on 1v1, but maybe he'd like to try to win the 1v1 event hosted by GM's or his guilds duel event so making "duel" sets can be fun as well, also trying different ways to beat people in duels. It's not like 1v1 isn't fun to do even tho it doesn't matter much.
    Edited: February 1, 2019

6. You do Mercy, even the good ones :p

For starters:
    1h + Shield + Bauble of True Blood. If you're Blood Elf - if your resil is above 1k without medallion you might as well use DV HC (or whatever dps trinket you have) + Bauble.

Start with 1h+shield and full mana. Try to kite the DK while attacking him with ONLY white attacks and just spam cleanse until he uses Death Coil and makes you unable to remove his diseases - you should screw up his rotation quite a bit by spamming cleanse in the beginning. Cast instant FoL (if you're not full HP), switch to 2h after you get Unholy Blight debuff (if he's not a noob and doesn't instant Gargoyle) do the rotation - Crusader > DS > Judgement, if you get his HP down a bit do HoJ and try to force his trinket. When DK uses AMS switch to his pet (don't use attacks on DK, especially not Judgement so you don't fill his RP) if the DK is not full HP you might as well kill his pet while you're at it.

Now the gargoyle part depends on your glyphs - if you have Turn Evil glyph, you will use it to fear gargoyle. If you have Hand of Salvation glyph you will kill the garg.
    Turn Evil Glyph:
    Once he uses Gargoyle - while Garg is flying down use DP quickly before he uses strangulate and switch to 1h + shield. After he strangulates you use Divine Sacrifice and keep attacking the DK (do not use Turn Evil UNTIL your Divine Protection comes down - once your DP is down, fear the Garg - now depending on your HP here you will either switch to 2h or stay in 1h+shield - if you're above 80% switch to 2h - You can also switch to Seal of Light if you can't outheal him with FoL procs (I save bauble of true blood as last resort, use it if you need to heal with it) - or even repentance, but I suggest you save it for later if possible.

After that just keep fearing the Garg and keep attacking the DK. If you didn't use repentance earlier and you forced his trinket with HoJ, after his gargoyle is gone and your HoJ is ready/almost ready to be used again you can repentance him so you can kill his pet in peace. After that you can just HoJ + Wings and he should be either dead or dying. If the DK doesn't get you with his Gargoyle burst then you as a ret have an upper hand.
    good post, good player

7. Seal of Light - macro for istant fear gargoyle - FoL on almost every art of war, Sacred shield always UP, Shadow Aura, Dispell dots -> profit.

This is suppose when retri and dk got the almost the same gear.

Obviusly an avarage retri can't beat a full bis dk with SM.

8. If you have bauble you wont die and wont go oom so you will win eventually.

9. If it's a good DK, you don't.
    False information.

Their are many ret paladins on Icecrown who can prove you wrong.

DK cant kill a good ret. Good ret will outheal DK damage, insta fear gargoyle, and never oom.

Maybe a bad ret cant win, but a good ret will beat a DK.

Ret acutally counters DK, so I dont know where your getting this false information.

10. From my perspective as an unholy, here's how I would fight a ret in an honnorable duel:

Start off far away from eachother. That way you can start off with strangulate and death grip, leaving you enough time to apply diseases and deathcoil.
    Once u see the silence about to run out, use AMS. I have it glyphed so it lasts 6 seconds, giving me ample time to use Empower rune weapon, gargoyle and another rotation. Then just as AMS is about to run out, use Icebound fortitude so that he can't stunn you. By this point you should have taken close to no dmg while the ret should have lost more than 2rd of his (I think AMS absorbs the judgment, thus reducing dmg and regen). then the only thing he can do is use repentence, which you can use your trinket for. While i'm not too sure about the turn evil on gargoyle, I'm pretty sure he can't reasonabbly try to kill my pet since i can buff its defense and since i believe his hp should be teetering on red at this point

Granted i've only tried this a couple of times, and on paladins who dont know that that's what i'm gonna do. I've never seen pvp rets use a shield against me, and in world pvp you're ****ed anyway cuz of the bubble or lay on hands. So this is probably a one-trick pony. But yeah if I dont do this, there is no way for me to beat a ret in 1v1.

11. Gotta agree with what is said above. A good ret will indeed kill a good DK if the gear on both players is the same, however it will take a while.
    And this is if one fights fair, otherwise the obvious free win tactic is freedom + run around a LoS whilst spamming heals, gg wp.