1. Need for Off spec

I need to understand if it is possible to Need for Off Spec since I have received many conflicting opinions and previous discussions on the forum I have read have not made it clear to me.

Suppose that i am a DPS war or pala as my main spec and TANK as my off specc, when I raid or dungeon I want to need for my OFF spec as tank it is allowed to do this in this server?

I asked because someone tells me that i can't roll for something for which I was not participating in the raid at that time (If I partecipate as DPS i cannot roll for Tank items and vice versa)
    I think this is ridiculous!!! how can I gearing up as tank If I cannot take anything before? A tank usually is 1 in a raid how can I tanking without be allowed to gearing before?

Someone can give me a definitive way to follow? I don't want to bother anyone and follow the rule to avoid to be reported by someone

thank you

2. The best thing to do is check with your group before you proceed with the dungeon. A lot of people will be OK with it, as long as the person whose main spec it is doesn't require the item. However, the rule is need for main-spec and greed for off-spec.

3. It's true what you say but I often find people not willing to give me the need just to make disenchant. I asked many times to raid leader that usually no respond or responds to me to ask directly to the raid/dungeon tank. Tank usually do not respond or tell me to greed (even if he is better geared) and the problem persist.

At this point the question is: how can I tanking to a raid or dungeon if I cannot gear as tank before? There's a starting gear that i can buy?
    In order to justify a need in these strange situations

4. In that case you just greed roll until you get the loot or get starter gear from rep vendors/ah etc.

5. You don't need to get tank gear before you can start tanking, how do you dps without getting dps gear first?

I have a warrior and I want it to be DPS, but when I was gearing up in dungeons every group wanted me to tank so upon entering group I said "can I roll as dps"? if anyone said no I would leave dungeon and wait 30 minutes, if everyone said yes I would screenshot the chat and tank the dungeon while rolling for dps.

6. in hc rdf or fos/pos/hor its pretty rear that people will bother if you roll need for OS , just make sure the current tank is not needing on the item , in raids thats another story , make things clear with RL beforehand

7. I'd say that if the actual tank doesn't need the gear, needing it is fine, because otherwise it gets the same priority as disenchant, which is just a waste

8. I'd say that if the actual tank doesn't need the gear, needing it is fine, because otherwise it gets the same priority as disenchant, which is just a waste
    Other people might want it for OS too and you take their chance to win when you just NEED it.

What if the guy need reagents to enchant his MS? He can buy them? So can you buy or craft gear for equip to start tanking.

You can also claim you need for OS and sell/DE it after. Why do you think people should trust you, yet you automatically assume they just want to make quick gold on reagents?

Sure you can ask, and if you don't get 4 "Yes" in chat..., because that one silent guy you think don't understand English will make that report.