1. [Prot Paladin] Do you NEED 689 defense rating to tank raids?

Is it absolutely necessary to have max defense rating to tank raids? I'm pretty far off from max at 4.9k GS. But I'm wanting to tank ToC 10-25 man to get some better gear.

2. you need 540 for raids, not 689 (although a little more is appreciated for HM if I'm correct)

3. you need 540 for raids, not 689 (although a little more is appreciated for HM if I'm correct)
    So then, yes? Since 689 defense rating gives 540 defense. Hmm, alright. I'm guessing getting crit by a boss in ICC is pretty much a guaranteed death. Thank you for the reply!

4. oh yes I thought you were talking about defense score, my bad.
    Yes you need 540 score (or 689 rating) to tank in raids, no alternatives!

5. for heroics if you just started tanking you can use some pvp off pieces, which offer crit reduction, it works same way as def rating, in order not to be critted. Does not work in Raids cuz you will miss a lot of avoidance.

6. I’m quite sure resilience from pvp gear only works with other players. It doesn’t reduce chance to be critted in dungeons or raids.

For dungeons it’s worth noting that the max boss level is 82 which means you only need 535 defence rating for these. For raids the boss level is 83 and requires 540 as already said in order to not be squished.

7. I’m quite sure resilience from pvp gear only works with other players. It doesn’t reduce chance to be critted in dungeons or raids.
    It absolutely works. Resilience can be used to reach the cap.

8. To add in some more numbers, an NPC your level has a base 5% chance to crit you. Each level increases that chance by 0.2%. Bosses (??lvl) are considered +3lvls. The cap of 5.6% crit suppression is achieved by obtaining 140 extra defense. A combination of defense and resilience also works, but defense is better since only 1/3 of resilence (the crit suppression) applies to PvE - the rest would be wasted.

The best example of the above is the Wful bracers for prot warrior, which are your best choice pre-ICC. The other options are either very weak 200ilvl bracers from dungeons or badges or 232ilvl crafted bracers that sell for thousands of gold.

Beyond 540 defense, your best stats are stamina and extra armor (the two determining stats for EHP - Effective Health Points [the third one being resistance, which is situational]). Any kind of extra defense or avoidance is a bonus.