1. Odd Tanking Classes/Specs Guides & Vids

Hey Folks!

Been kicking it around the server for many years. Just now am getting into the scene of making my own vids and the like.

If you would like to see some crazy class / role / specs, feel free to stop by my channel.

Some few players have heard whispers of a shaman tank around the server Icecrown, well that's me.

I decided to take my shaman through an easy Fos/Pos run as a good first set of videos to show how he works. I welcome your feedback!

Other projects seen on the channel are my Hunter Tank, and soon my Holy Paladin Tank.

Like and Sub if you can appreciate the art of tanking in these crazy ways!

Edited: March 20, 2019

2. First things first, being extremely overgeared and out-DPSing people who deal less damage than what is expected by a fresh 80lvl is not tanking, it's just outaggroing.

If you wanna tank, then you should use tank gear. Since there is no shaman tank gear on WotLK, your closest bet is the PvP Enh set, which will provide you with a lot of stamina and resilience. The only reason you're not dying in your stamina-enchanted T10 is because you're doing FoS Normal.

Never hard-cast spells while tanking - you cannot block, dodge or parry while casting. If you want to deal more damage, and generate more aggro respectively, then you should be using Lighting Shield, not Water Shield - Shamanistic Rage is your way to regenerate mana and your only defensive cooldown.

Also, purely for video quality, you could've just cut out the part where you're trying to find a new DPS and sped up the walking in between pulls. As the video stands, it has zero editing on it.

And, for god's sake, set up some keybinds... Mobs are running away from you and you can't even target them because you're too busy clicking on your spells... If this was a normal group, with damage-dealers doing at least 4k DPS, you wouldn't be able to hold aggro on more than 1 mob.

Edit: If you really, really, REALLY want to tank as shaman, you better get a best friend rogue so he can ToT on you every pull. Otherwise, I don't see how you can hold aggro with any kind of normal group.
    Edited: March 21, 2019

3. Some additional information:

"What the Wrath of the Lich King changes mean for any shaman wanting to try out tanking is simple: you will be at a severe disadvantage. [...] you have to work around inherent limitations like having no taunt, no way to artificially increase your threat (the entire raid is threat capped at the level of the tank's DPS based threat, there's no threat modifier for shamans unless it's a negative one like Spirit Weapons) and no real way to regenerate mana to use to generate threat (although Shamanistic Rage could act as a mini-tanking cooldown and a nice mana regen ability, especially since you can use it every minute now, and Feral Spirit could help with incoming damage as well as threat from their damage). Basically, what was once at least tolerated in the enhancement talent tree is now totally unsupported: any shaman seeking to tank is going to have to build a cherry picked set of PvP gear and tanking rings, trinkets, a necklace, shield, possibly a weapon [...] which means he's going to have difficulty in catching up to other classes."

https://www.engadget.com/2009/10/24/...e-shaman-tank/

P.S. - If what inspired you to tank as Enh on WotLK was Sharicasmi's ICC tanking video, then I'll have to disappoint you that he wasn't even tanking in that video. He merely stood next to the paladin and warrior tanks to soak up Bone Slice. If you look at Omen, you'll see that he's pretty much last on the threat meter. The fight took them 6min27sec, which means that their raid-wide DPS was 18,016 (6,972,500 health / 387 seconds), or 2,574 DPS per non-healer (they did it with 3 healers). Now imagine where he would be on Omen with a normal group where every damage-dealer does at least 8k DPS.
    Edited: March 21, 2019