1. Helping and spotting the low level players that are actually in need

If you're usually hanging out around the Elwynn Forest, Stormwind, Durotar or Orgrimmar, there is a good chance that a low level player once asked you to trade him gold for his spells and mount needs.
    Sometimes such requests are legit and sometimes they're not, as if certain players were begging for free gold they wouldn't really need.

Thankfully the achievements and statistics tabs while inspecting low level players gives us insight as to how much gold they ever owned and since when they did level up, on Warmane's armory and in the game.

Here are a couple simple examples that I have from the Icecrown realm :

Gold statistics
    https://i.imgur.com/y53g8rn.jpg
    (Statistics tab > Character > Wealth)
    It's quite clear that this anonymous player has much more gold than he ever needs to keep his leveling process going.

Level up achievements
    https://i.imgur.com/MLi7zcW.jpg
    (Achievements tab > Summary)
    We are able to see when a player has achieved a major level step, if seven days would have passed and a player would still be on the same low level, certainly means that he isn't focused in keeping his progression going.

I found out about the gold statistics just recently, somes might be aware, somes perhaps not, so if you are wondering if it is right to send a couple golds to a particular low level player if you do wish to help, this might certainly be giving you a clear idea.

Pacifical

P.S. I did not find a similar thread with this subject after searching which is why I went for it.

2. I like helping in other ways:

- "Never buy gear from vendors."
    - "Loot all items from corpses, including and especially grey and white items. Greys sell to vendors, whites sell on the AH as crafting materials."
    - "If you don't have tailoring (or first aid), keep and auction all cloth you find."
    - "I highly discourage from picking enchanting as a profession on your first character."
    - "I highly discourage from buying things from the auction house while leveling, unless if it's crafting materials that you cannot obtain through your own profession."
    - "Use your profession as a gold-maker, not a gold sink." (wands as enchanting, glyphs as inscription, excess leather, ore, gems, herbs as any of the gathering professions, Deadly Blunderbuss or Mithril Casing as engineering, enchanting rods as blacksmithing and so on)
    - "Consider both of your primary professions being gathering professions so that you can sell everything you accumulate on the auction house."

tl;dr - in the long run, teaching a lowbie how to be self-sufficient will help them much more than trading them 5 gold.

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.

3. Very right ; I had to do it that exact way while starting to level up on Lordaeron to be self-sufficient, since that realm has Blizzlike rates.
    The idea behind the thread was also not to feed those who didn't need to be.

Your "how to be self-sufficient while leveling up" guide is worth its own thread to be honest if it hasn't been done already, nice to have it here otherwise.

4. The idea is pretty clever actually, thanks for it.

I knew about those stats on my character, but didn't realized I can use them on other people as well. :)

I like to help those that need it, but not professional beggars.

5. I like helping in other ways:

- "Loot all items from corpses, including and especially grey and white items. Greys sell to vendors, whites sell on the AH as crafting materials."
    - "If you don't have tailoring (or first aid), keep and auction all cloth you find."
    - "I highly discourage from picking enchanting as a profession on your first character."
    - "I highly discourage from buying things from the auction house while leveling, unless if it's crafting materials that you cannot obtain through your own profession."
    - "Use your profession as a gold-maker, not a gold sink." (wands as enchanting, glyphs as inscription, excess leather, ore, gems, herbs as any of the gathering professions, Deadly Blunderbuss or Mithril Casing as engineering, enchanting rods as blacksmithing and so on)
    - "Consider both of your primary professions being gathering professions so that you can sell everything you accumulate on the auction house."

tl;dr - in the long run, teaching a lowbie how to be self-sufficient will help them much more than trading them 5 gold.

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
    thx for the tips man i really appreciate it so helpful for noobs like me :D

6. I don't have to inspect the first character to see he's a twink and probably has 293874 bis characters at level 80.

7. If you're usually hanging out around the Elwynn Forest, Stormwind, Durotar or Orgrimmar, there is a good chance that a low level player once asked you to trade him gold for his spells and mount needs.
    Sometimes such requests are legit and sometimes they're not, as if certain players were begging for free gold they wouldn't really need.

Thankfully the achievements and statistics tabs while inspecting low level players gives us insight as to how much gold they ever owned and since when they did level up, on Warmane's armory and in the game.

Here are a couple simple examples that I have from the Icecrown realm :

Gold statistics
    https://i.imgur.com/y53g8rn.jpg
    (Statistics tab > Character > Wealth)
    It's quite clear that this anonymous player has much more gold than he ever needs to keep his leveling process going.

Level up achievements
    https://i.imgur.com/MLi7zcW.jpg
    (Achievements tab > Summary)
    We are able to see when a player has achieved a major level step, if seven days would have passed and a player would still be on the same low level, certainly means that he isn't focused in keeping his progression going.

I found out about the gold statistics just recently, somes might be aware, somes perhaps not, so if you are wondering if it is right to send a couple golds to a particular low level player if you do wish to help, this might certainly be giving you a clear idea.

Pacifical

P.S. I did not find a similar thread with this subject after searching which is why I went for it.
    i only begged for gold while in horde with a low lvl character since i didnt wanted to grind a lot like i did when i was in alliance the first time

8. May 30, 2020  
    I like helping in other ways:

I think a mixed approach is the way to go. With the extra EXP, its too easy to get far in the game without ever gathering 1 gold piece, thus, no mount at all.

I am low level and pretty much a newbie in this game. yesterday I was given - without asking - 20 gold- - I thought WOW, I am rich!

Long story short - mount (not the swift one), training, a few runes of teleportation and some decent bags later (2 12units bags) and I have 1 gold left. I am mining and crafting jewels and just started dipping my feet in the auction house.

So far I think I will not need any more gold help - BUT that said, those 20 gold went a LONG way not to make me rich or OP, but to ease the strain in travelling and carrying stuff that would otherwise take a LONG TIME for me to fix.