1. Is subtlety pve that bad?

Hello, I wanted to know your thoughts about subtlety pve? The internet says it had like the lowest dps output, but is it bad or is it very difficult? I wanted to try it out and was wondering wether i should even invest time in it

2. Well if you go sub deep enough for it to be half ok - shadow dance, you'll probably end up sub-combat cause of hit (you need as close as possible to 17% in pve) and miss out on better poisons from assa spec. Or you go sub-assa and lose the hit and OH dmg (and a lot of your dmg is melee).

Besides all that sub has no energy generating talents but it has CP generating talents so you'll be sitting with 5CP waiting for that eviscerate a long long time, wasting the CPs and just doing nothing. Also T1 talents in sub tree are not so bad, T2 are absolute trash, T3 has 9% arp which is nice, but then to get to T4 you gotta waste some points. In T4 ambush dmg is nice during dance, and initiative will give you more CP, but you'll get plenty of those anyway. T5's prep, deeds and hemorrhage are ok, not so terrible, you just gotta throw one more point away to get to next tier.
    T6 then is quite nice, that's worth it actually, those 10% are kinda making the shorter CD on vanish seem worth it, ap is always nice.
    T7 has premed only and that's about it that's worth it.
    T8's sinister is nice, that's all good.
    Now in T9 take honor, shadowstep cause it's fun if nothing else and a bit shorter CDs is nice.
    Last 2 are ok.

So there's a lot of stealth-focused talents in there, not so many just pure damage focused, and in PVE there's really no need for stealth, in raids at least. You'll throw away a lot of points, many of them are buffing Ambush which is mostly unavailable. Now you need to go sub-assa or sub-combat, with tradeoffs mentioned earlier, you'll pretty much gimp yourself.

Had a guild mate try it, at around 6.3k gs iirc his dps was really pathetic, for a 6.3k char at least. Some ok burst on dummies, but no real damage output after dance ended even with me gifting him CPs.

3. Thanks, that is a really nice answer.

4. I was playing Subtlety in pve, but it's bad. Not enough damage doing because lack of energy. Not enough poison damage and subtlety is made for quick target burst which is pvp mostly.

5. Subtlety only became competitive in pve in cata+ when mechanics of it become usable outside of stealth a long with a lot of feature changes(like haste improving energy regen) making it very fun to play and viable as a spec.

As for wrath: combat is the go to spec, followed by assassin for pve, with subt being useless due to being unable to sustain its dps making it a pvp centric spec.