This is a multi-chapter story that I'm writing about the origins of my orc warrior toon named Ogrest. I don't do much editing and only briefly study lore, but I think it's probably okay despite a few spelling, grammar, and possibly lore errors. Let me know what you think. I'll post 1 chapter at a time. Feel free to suggest changes or offer ideas of things you'd like to see. None of this is pre-written and I'm writing things as I go. I'm open to adding characters that other people come up with or want to see.

This is my 4th backstory/warcraft story that I've written since I started playing warmane. I run an RP guild on Icecrown/Horde and it's where I get all my ideas and inspiration from. So, while this is mostly just me sharing creative writing stuff, I'm also doing it to publicize my RP guild: Silver Sword Coalition! Come join us, and maybe you'll end up in one of my stories! :D

Anyway, here we go:

Chapter 1: Brothers of Different Blood

---

"Ogrest!" A women's voice called from off in the distance.

A young orc stirred from his meditation. He sat at the base of a tree amidst the mountains and springs at the southwestern border of Gorgrond. His icy blue eyes opened, and he grasped the handle of his blade resting on his shoulder. He stood up. He was long and lean, quite defined, but still the body of a young boy, around the age of 10, in comparison to human years. Long black hair hung down to his lower back, and large orcish teeth jutting out the sides of his mouth. His green complexion glowed with the freshness of youth. He was barefoot, and only wore a raggy pair of brown shorts.

"Ogrest, where are you?!" The woman's voice called again, and Ogrest turned his head to where it was coming from.

A mature orc woman appeared from the brush, her face marked with worry and the lines of age. Her icy blue eyes matched those of the young orc, and they peered frantically from side to side, scanning the landscape for the boy.

Ogrest turned and took one last look at the gleaming oasis of water before him, taking in the fresh smell, then stepped out from behind the tree to reveal himself. The woman gasped, startled at first, then sighed with releif.

"Ogrest!" Her voice now became scolding in it's tone, "Where have you been?! What are you doing out here?!"

"I came to look at the water, mother." The orc boy told her, his voice quite calm, showing little emotion.

"Your father has been looking for you. You've missed your training again! He's furious!"

Ogrest merely grunted and shrugged. The woman frowned at him and placed her hands on her hips.

"I understand why you like it out here, Ogrest, but it's important that you obey your father. He only wants you to be strong. He's harsh sometimes, but it's for your own good."

Ogrest looked away, placing his sword on his shoulder as he spit on the ground. He grunted once again.

"Will you return with me? Please, Ogrest?"

Ogrest looked up at her once again and merely nodded.

---

As the two of them travelled along the road heading north, the landscape gradually change from a lush jungle to a more barren desert. The colors of green and blue changed to brown and grey, and where before there were shimmering lakes and ponds, there were now small puddles and steaming geysers. They approached a small encampment and walked until they reached a tent amongst many.

"Maya!" A voice roared to their left, and Maya turned with a look of concern. A massive black haired orc came marching angrily towards them, his boulder like fists clenched tightly, his red eyes burning with fury. "Where is the little brat?! Did you find him?!"

Before she could answer, Ogrest stepped out from behind his mother, his eyes calm and fearless, as he had long since learned to never show fear. Not to anyone.

"Ogrest!" The orcs continued forward, grabbing the boy by the neck with his vice-grip, lifting him into the air with one arm. "You missed training again! Now you hide behind your mother like a helpless little whelp! How did I raise such a little weakling?! You disappoint me!" He yelled, Ogrest futily attempting to pry open his father's grip, kicking at the man's chest with no effect. The orc man tossed his son to the ground, a cloud of dust billowing up from beneath him as he hit the the dirt with a thud.

"Ograr! Stop it!" Maya cried, but Ograr gave her a fierce stare and she was silenced immediately. Ogrest pushed himself to his feet, his body now covered with scrapes. He brushed the dust off himself, and picked up his sword, then looked at his father coldly.

"I'm sorry, father. It won't happen again." He assure him.

"I know it won't, boy! I know, because for your disobedience you will be training with your brothers throughout the night! You are all kin, so you will be punished together! Perhaps you will learn that there are consequences for letting down your family! Not just for you, but for all of us! If there is a weak link, it must be strengthened or cast out! What will you choose, Ogrest? Will you step up and fulfill your duty, or run away to the forests like a coward?"

"I will be strong, father."

"Will you?! Then show me! Come, now! We will test your mettle again, until you learn to obey!"

---

Hours after getting out of the dirt, Ogrest found himself their once again, blood dripping out his mouth, his body broken and bruised.

"Get up Ogrest!" Shouted Ograr, his voice devoid of any sympathy. "Get up, or you won't ever get up! Hit him again, Gorgaug!"

A wooden training sword came down hard on Ogrests back, and the orc child stifled a grunt of pain. He began to lift himself up before another blow came down even harder on his head. His vision went black for a moment, but he fought the darkness with all he could. He knew another blow was coming, and this one would be more than he could take. He rolled over swiftly, catching the wooden sword in his hand. He gripped it tightly and growled, the whites of his eyes visible as he glared up furiously at the slightly older red-eyed orc who's mouth was agape with shock.

Ogrest ripped the stick out of this brother's grip, getting to his feet quickly and jumping at Gorgaug with all his weight. Gorgaug sprawled quickly, nearly getting knocked over, but managed to block the attack. He laughed, lifting Ogrest, spinning, then throwing the little orc across the room. Ogrest skidded across the dirt, but quickly got to his hands and knees. As he looked up, his face quickly met with the shin bone of his older brother and things went dark very quickly. He woke up moments later, on his back with his older brother and father looking over him.

Gorgaug had a grin from ear to ear, while Ograr's stern expression showed neither concern or anger.

"How many times have I told you: If you're getting up, protect your face! Lest you want to get kicked in it!" Ograr told him, and Ogrest merely groaned in pain, sitting up and rubbing his aching head. "Anyway, that's enough for today. Anymore and your frail body might finally give out. Hopefully this was enough for you to learn your lesson. Next time you skip out on training will be the last time you ever see your family again. Understood?"

Ogrest nodded, struggling to his feet. Gorgaug smacked him hard on the back, nearly knocking Ogrest over, that ****-eating grin still on his face.

"Nice try little brother! I was surprised, but as usual it wasn't enough. Maybe one day you'll beat me, but I doubt it."

"Maybe if I had a stick too, I would." Ogrest retorted.

"Maybe if you didn't skip training, you wouldn't need one."

"Hmph, you're only stronger because you're bigger. Wait till we're both grown, and we'll see who comes out on top."

"Hah! I'm bigger because I'm a blackrock! It's that frostwolf blood that makes you small and weak!"

Ogrest's eyes turned furious, and he clenched his fists and stepped towards his brother.

"Enough!" Shouted Ograr, "Your bickering is painful to my ears! You are both weaklings! Go eat and rest, so hopefully you can grow out of your miserable shapes!"

Both brothers grumbled angrily under their breaths, heading outside of the tent.

---

The barracks mess hall was full of young boys like Ogrest and Gorgaug, all covered in varying degrees of injury, eating their meals hungrily. It was unusual for young orcs to be this age, since the majority of them were unnaturally forced into adulthood through magical means, but a good chunk of them would grow naturally at their parents discretion, and it was typical that these naturally growing boys and girls would eat and train together, so they wouldn't be killed by the much larger 'men'.

Ogrest and Gorlaug stood in line as the ogre slave dished out their helpings of meat and gruel, and despite it's unsavory appearance, both boys devoured it without hesitation. Afterwards, they headed to their sleeping quarters, shared by several other boys, with Ogrest and Gorgaug sharing a bunk bed.

At this time, all the other boys in the room were already fast asleep, some of them snoring loudly. Gorgaug settle down on the bottom bunk as Ogrest climbed to the top and laid himself down rather painfully. Ogrest laid awake for some time, thinking, but his thoughts were interupted as Gorgaug spoke.

"I'm sorry for insulting your mother." He said quietly. "Maybe I'm just jealous that you still have one." Ogrest was silent from some time, "Are you awake?" Gorgaug asked, wondering why his brother hadn't responded.

"You shouldn't apoligize. It's weak." Ogrest finally said, with a bit of snap in his tone. "And as for your mother: It's not my problem. Keep your issues to yourself." Gorgaug smiled to himself.

"Ha, I guess not. Goodnight Ogrest, you weak blooded little bastard. Be ready for another beating tomorrow."

"Shut up and go to sleep."

There was silence after that, and the two of them dozed off for the little time they could, for dawn came early for the young warriors of the Blackrock Clan.

---