1. May 24, 2019  

Prot warrior

Hello, I am thinking of playing a tank and warrior really appeals to me. But when i join a pug and see a warrior tank i get excited since they are so rare but it is frowned upon by everyone. I remember warrior tanks were a beast in retail wotlk. What's wrong with prot warrior ?

2. May 24, 2019  
    basicly nothing, you can down any kind of heroic content with it. other classes like dk, paladin or druid just offer more aggro/utility/defensive cooldowns.

3. May 24, 2019  
    Prot warrior is simply the worst tank in 3.3, so yes, it's frowned upon.

Fewer cooldowns, and especially the prot warrior doesn't benefit from the ICC buff.

4. May 25, 2019  
    I remember warrior tanks were a beast in retail wotlk. What's wrong with prot warrior ?
    Retail 3.3 was a time of figuring stuff out, holding out hope for any possible class changes, and working with limited pools of players, which meant more wieght was placed on a player's individual skill and knowledge, than on their class. If you were a skilled player that happened to have been maining Prot Warr the entire expac, you were probably much more useful to a group than the average Paladin. People were emerging into 3.3 from previous patches in which the class balance was different, and many had already decided what their mains were going to be the rest of the expansion. This is also why raid compositions and such, if you care to look them up, looked very different from the average ICC raid comp today.

What you see on Icecrown 3.3 is the result of this patch's meta being thoroughly worked out and laid bare, and the preferences of players reflecting this meta.

To answer your question, nothing is wrong with Prot Warriors. Other tanks just shine in this patch (especially Prot Pallies) in a way that leaves the Prot Warr looking somewhat lacklustre in comparison. There are very few (if any) scenarios in ICC where your raid group wouldn't simply be much better off with a Paladin tank than a Warrior one.

As to why Prot Warriors are the least preferred, there's probably a number of threads that go into that at great detail already, so you could just search for them.
    Edited: May 25, 2019

5. June 4, 2019  
    I'm prot warrior and have 6k gs, I tanked everything and it's not that ''hard'' as people say. Every pug i've been into and every serious guild, got me in even thou I was prot warrior. NO one ever denided me. Play what you like, I like it. You get decent damage and you can actually do many old dungeons + some raids with good damage.