1. May 26, 2019  

Perma Black Screen after enabling Windowed Mode.

Hey,

I recently built a new pc, quite high end with a RTX 2080 GPU.
    I was messing around with settings and wanted to try windowed mode. The screen went completely black, which isn't unusual, as it has to re-draw all images,
    except that it stays black permanently. When I launch the game, the login screen sound plays and I can even hear myself login by typing my password and hitting enter. All game sounds are active, but I simply cannot see anything. I can't even get back to full screen like this.

After a full day of troubleshooting my hardware now this pops up... and to make it worse any google search only brings up BFA results. Kinda at my wits end here.

2. May 26, 2019  
    Sort of fixed it I guess. By adding
    SET gxWindow "1"
    to my config.wtf file I can now launch the game in windowed mode. I suppose using a value of 0 will launch it in fullscreen.
    Still, when I try to change from windowed to full screen by unchecking the windowed mode option, the same problem occurs where the screen goes black and stays black indefinitely. I then have to go back to my config.wtf file to add SET gxWindow "1" again, which somehow magically disappears, and relaunch the game.

Weird.

3. low effort reverting the perma black screen issue on warmane.

Disable second monitor> reload wow> login to whatever account> reset default video settings>should fix the perma black log in with both monitors open if you dont feel like figuring out how to keep windows mode on via the methods other threads provide or simply arent tech savy enough. hope this helps.

4. Sorry for the necro but above solution fixed it instantly.

5. This solved the issue for me! Thanks!

6. Sort of fixed it I guess. By adding
    SET gxWindow "1"
    to my config.wtf file I can now launch the game in windowed mode. I suppose using a value of 0 will launch it in fullscreen.
    Still, when I try to change from windowed to full screen by unchecking the windowed mode option, the same problem occurs where the screen goes black and stays black indefinitely. I then have to go back to my config.wtf file to add SET gxWindow "1" again, which somehow magically disappears, and relaunch the game.

Weird.
    This works.
    Add new line into the config.WTF
    and write the following:
    Code:
    SET gxWindow "1"

7. This works.
    and write the following:
    Code:
    SET gxWindow "1"
    yes thank you this fixed for me also adding SET gxmaximized "1" will launch fullscreen windowed

*Edit* May need to disable read-only on wow folder

8. May 24, 2020  
    This works.
    and write the following:
    Code:
    SET gxWindow "1"
    This helped for me, THANKS!

9. This helped for me, THANKS!
    How do you set it back to full screen mode? I tried to set the value as 0 but it doesn't work

10. Open up your video settings before u check the "windowed mode" box put a sticker (or your finger) on apply so u know where exactly that is on the monitor then click on it and the black screen will go away! Then just click on maximized and your g2g! :)

11. The correct configuration option for maximized is:
    Code:
    SET gxMaximize "1"

12. The correct configuration option for maximized is:
    Code:
    SET gxMaximize "1"
    Doesnt work.

Im now stuck on windowed mode. Everytime i try to switch back to fullscreen i get the black screen.

tried replacind the SET gxWindow "1" with SET gxMaximize "1" but im still getting black screen

Edit> NWM didnt realise i need both of the lines, that will work. But how can i get fullscreen back now
    Edited: July 22, 2020

13. Having similar issues. Just installed and ran game fine, then started tweaking settings and UI. Changing from 60Hz to 120 refreshrate AND ticking windowed mode produced the perma blackscreen, now i cant change anything back.

Tried adding parameters like -maxscreen -fullscreen etc to shortcut, doesnt work. Looked for an .ini file to see if i could change settings, i guess the .wtf file does the same trick. Now if only Win10 would let me open .wtf files in notepad or some such to edit it

12 Last