1. May 31, 2019  

PvE Unholy talent discussion

Regarding 0/17/54 builds.

3 points in Morbity vs 1 point in Unholy Blight + 2points in Dirge.

My seeing on this: So 3 points in Morbity gives you 15% deathcoil dmg, while Unholy Blight gives you an extra 10% deathcoil dmg over time. I can't see Dirge influencing much in dps as I don't get dead time(no runes or RP) often. Even with Crypt Fever boosting Unholy Blight's damage, Unholy blight will deal ~13% dmg of deathcoil.

I can't really see why some people go for Unholy Blight and Dirge instead of Morbity, or am I missing something?

+Morbity also benefits AoE by a ton.

Your thoughts?

Edit: Can Unholy Blight trigger Wandering Plague?
    Edited: May 31, 2019

2. June 1, 2019  
    For single target damage, Unholy Blight provides in 1 talent point what Morbidity provides in 2. Dirge is taken because Unholy DKs should have some free GCDs in between abilities a lot of the time, so it give you more Death Coil uses to fill that dead time with.

Morbidity's main niche is the extra AoE dps as you point out.

3. June 1, 2019  
    If i remember well, there is an explanation on this topic in the old retail guide:
    http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php?t=326654
    Try to look it up i guess...
    Might be why Dirge is good, might be why Morbidity isnt so good.

Anyhow, there is no way if you are doing the rotation correctly that you have 0 downtime without Dirge, unless there are healers flooding you with extra Runic Power.
    Horn of Winter is also considered downtime, since it does no dmg and its better to use Death Coil instead of Horn of Winter, which Dirge provides you with.

4. June 2, 2019  
    After hitting the dummy 'til about 2,25M dmg (3-4 min), and you check recount, you can see that DC is about 10% of your dmg.
    You can also see, that your Unholy Blight did about 1 % of your dmg.
    There were 36 SSs and 12 PSs, which means 48*5 = 240 additional RP --> +6 DC (of 34), which is the 17,6% dmg of the overall DC dmg. --> 1,76 % dmg of the overall dmg, dividing by 2 (this was with 2/2 Dirge) --> 0,88 %
    Morbidity means 5 % dmg of DC, so 0,5% dmg of your overall dmg.

So the dmg percentage per talent point:
    Morbidity - 0,5 % / point
    Dirge - 0,88 % / point
    Unholy Blight - 1 % / point

That is why we do not use Morbidity. Unholy Blight is clearly better than Morbidity. Dirge is also better in this case (with no additional RP from hot ticks, and with no additional RP from AMS. With these factors it is more difficult to calculate the value of Dirge, but both of them are unreliable, you cannot be sure, that you will get more RPs from a hot tick when you really need it, and AoE dmg (which can be used to get more RPs with AMS) also won't come at the perfect point of your rotation every time.