1. June 3, 2019  

FoL Holy Paladin - [An Endangered Species]

Hi everyone and welcome to this guide!

My name here is Idylia and I currently play a holy paladin with a FoL spec. because, if you still don't know, paladins have 2 different ways of healing.
    This guide will be focused, as I said, on the FoL spec as I didn't see a lot (probably no one in here). This is the one that bases its healings on Flash of Light.

1. Differences between FoL and HL
    Well, as I said before there are two ways of healing: FoL (Flash of Light) and HL (Holy Light). The first one consists of healing using basically Holy Shock when you have no CD on it and then Flashes either instantly or casting them, but rarely using Holy Light. On the other hand, HL consists of basically healing with Holy Shock (for the buff that it gives to Holy Light) and then continue healing with Holy Lights, however it doesn't mean that flashes of Light could not be used many times.

2. FoL vs HL
    Although many people think that HL is the only valid spec to heal from iCC onwards (or even before); this is actually not really accurate in my opinion. Actually, I will show you in this guide why I think that FoL is better than HL for healing iCC10, iCC25 and probably a big part of iCC10HC.

3. Talent Build
    The one that I recommend is 51/0/20 in the very beginning, once you have enough crit you should change to 51/02/18.
    There are 2 points that you can switch from Improved Gbom to Conviction and as I said, in the beginning when you don't have enough crit, 3 points from Divinity to Sanctity of Battle.

4. Stats
    Intellect: This is the favourite stats for most of the pallys, however not for me. Increases mana, crit, spell and the amount of mana given by Divine Plea.
    Spell Power: Increases your healings. It increases HLs healings more than Flashes ones.
    Haste: Basic stat of every character due to the reduction of the GCD, this is: the time needed between spells. A paladin should have, at least, 676 so the GCD becomes 1sec.
    Critical Strike: This stat is not as important as the others but can really change a lot your healings. It is not the same to heal 40 crits and 60 normal heals than 30 crits and 70 normal ones.
    MP5: Allows paladin's mana regeneration. This stat is, in my opinion, useless for a paladin. Instead of MP5, if you have mana problems, you should gem Intellect.

5. Gems & Enchants

5.1 Gems
    I will show you some combinations based on the gear:

1st combination: Low set
    Red: +23sp / +12 sp +10haste
    Yellow: +20haste / +12sp +10haste
    Blue: +20haste
    Meta: Insightful Earthsiege Diamond

2nd combination: once you have 676 of haste capped:
    Red: +23sp / +12sp +10crit
    Yellow: +20crit / +12sp +10crit
    Blue: +20crit
    Meta: Beaming Earthsiege Diamond
    This combination, as said, assumes that the paladin capped its haste and increases a lot the critical strike so it compensates the low healing from Flash of Light. Due to this, it is not necessary to gem intellect because there is a really low waste of mana.

3rd combination:
    Red: +23sp
    Yellow: +23sp
    Blue: +23sp
    Meta: Embler Skyflare Diamond
    This combination is for the ones having a high gear, haste capped and really high crit. Only makes sense to continue gemming with spell.

5.2 Enchants
    Head: +30sp +20Crit (Kirin Tor)
    Shoulders: +24sp +15crit (Hodir)
    Cloak: +23haste or tailoring
    Chest: +10stats
    Bracers: +30sp or leatherworking
    Gloves: +28sp o engineering
    Belt: Eternal Belt Buckle
    Legs: +50sp +30stamina (better having stamina than spirit for hpala)
    Boots: +12hit +12crit
    Rings: +23sp (enchanter)
    Weapon: +63sp.
    Shield: +25int

6. Glyphs

Major- Flash of Light
    Major - Holy Shock
    Major - Light Seal
    Minor - Gbok
    Minor - Gbow
    Minor - Lay on hands

7. iCC with a hPala FoL

First of all, I highly recommend a HL spec for healing iCC25HC, but IMHO is not necessary before. The reason: iCC25HC has a huge damage either AOE and on each player, this is excellently covered by the HL paladin which helped with the glyph of HL and the big healings from that spell.

Lord Marrowgar
    Even though it should be a really easy boss it can get complicated because of dps stuck in fire. However, in most of the cases for the aoe damage it should be enough with your Light Judgement and some Flashes. Why should you heal 5k-10k with healings of 20k if in the same time you would have already casted 2 flashes of light of 9k? Non-sense to go HL spec in this boss before iCC25HC.

Lady Deathwisper
    Same as Lord Marrowgar, if you raid with people that already know how to do this, the damage is not really a big thing and you should be able to solve it easily with flashes of light.

Gunship:
    Here a FoL hpala will definitely be much better than a HL paladin (with the same gear). Let me explain myself, a HL paladin will have its build prepared for having mana, however a FoL paladin will be focused on increasing its crit and its spell power. The thing is that in this boss mana could be unlimited, you will only need to spam some flashes during your ship phase. Once the tank jumps to the other ship you will spam HL (yes, HL) your mana will decrease incredibly fast, don`t worry, you have enough time to use Divine Plea and get mana hitting melee attacks to the adds from your ship with your Seal of Wisdom.

Deathbringer:
    In iCCNM there is no need (most of the times) to use a single HL. However, if the gear of the tanks is bit low you will maybe have to use some at the end of the boss.

Festergut: Absolutely no need to use HL before iCC25HC, the damage is perfectly covered by Judgement of Light and some flashes. For iCC10HC and maybe iCC25 you will potentially need some HL on the tanks.

Rotfce: It can be healed perfectly with a FoL spec before iCC25HC, however for iCC10HC I have the feeling it could be more helpful a HL spec rather than a FoL spec.

PP: During P1 & P2 you can heal it easily with Flashes, use Divine Plea at the end of 2nd phase and enjoy casting HL to keep the tanks alive.

BPC: Absolutely no need to use HL spec before iCC25HC, maybe some HL on iCC10HC.

Lana'thel: In this boss there is a huge AOE damage on the raid, this is why it is more useful a HL paladin from iCC10HC onwards (however on iCC10HC I don't think there is a huge difference). Before iCC10HC, I really think that FoL is enough and having endless mana is way better than having more aoe healing (Judgement already heals a huge part of thay damage on both nm modes).

Valithria: FoL spec beats all those HL paladins full intellect. You will have endless mana again with better crit and spell, spam HLs.

Sindragosa: Here HL is really much better because of a simple reason: the debuff. You have a limited number of spells before stoping healing for some fixed seconds, this means that the better would be to maximize those healings so the raid is prepared enough for those seconds when you stop healing.
    This is the theory, however in both NM modes it's easy to heal with a FoL spec.

LK: This combat can really last a lot, I do prefer FoL spec for NM modes so I don't have to worry for mana and I can concentrate on more important things.

Well, this is everything by the moment. Hope you liked it, and please every feedback is welcome! Have a nice day! :)
    Edited: June 3, 2019

2. June 4, 2019  
    First of all good job in putting some effort in doing this guide but there are some things which I can't accept.
    The one that I recommend is 51/0/20 in the very beginning, once you have enough crit you should change to 51/02/18
    No! Divinity is always important talent doesn't matter of your level of gear. This talent is multiplier for your healing which means that it improves your healing even more with ICC buff and ToL, IDA and additional spell power. What's the point to use glyph for seal of light and not divinity. It's same to use glyph of earth shield on resto shaman but not improved earth shield talent.
    1st combination: Low set
    Red: +23sp / +12 sp +10haste
    Yellow: +20haste / +12sp +10haste
    Blue: +20haste
    Meta: Insightful Earthsiege Diamond

2nd combination: once you have 676 of haste capped:
    Red: +23sp / +12sp +10crit
    Yellow: +20crit / +12sp +10crit
    Blue: +20crit
    Meta: Beaming Earthsiege Diamond
    This combination, as said, assumes that the paladin capped its haste and increases a lot the critical strike so it compensates the low healing from Flash of Light. Due to this, it is not necessary to gem intellect because there is a really low waste of mana.

3rd combination:
    Red: +23sp
    Yellow: +23sp
    Blue: +23sp
    Meta: Embler Skyflare Diamond
    This combination is for the ones having a high gear, haste capped and really high crit. Only makes sense to continue gemming with spell.
    No, no, no, absolutely NO! First of all BiS meta for FoL is Revitalizing Skyflare Diamond and second crit gems!? No! FoL paladin rely on Spell Power as much as you can + 4pt10 bonus again doesn't matter what level of gear you have. If we speak in gem prespective only adding 2-3% more crit from gems will never override 200 additional spell power.
    Valithria: FoL spec beats all those HL paladins full intellect. You will have endless mana again with better crit and spell, spam HLs.
    Basically paladin with FoL haste cap never can beat normal Holy Light build simple because you have amount of healing but not haste. From pure mathematically point of view additional Spell power doesn't work and scale so well with Emerald stacks. Going for closer GCD for HL will always give you the most healing done on VDW aka going for some haste gems on HL build instead of spell power gems will always work better. I won't even mention that without glyph of Holy Light you have 0% chance to beat HL build simple because glyph of Holy light is doing something like 25 to 30% from total healing done on VDW. Here we can NOT speak about foL build at all on this boss.

Anyway this is my reply just from roughly reading of your guide. There is a lot of misinformation which should be corrected. In the end doesn't matter ICC 10N or 25HC HL build always will be better and best.
    Actually, I will show you in this guide why I think that FoL is better than HL for healing iCC10, iCC25 and probably a big part of iCC10HC.
    NO! Although for ICC 10n and 25n HL build will have huge overheal, it will still do much more effective healing than FoL build which is the most important. I understand that you want to test something different but avoid such a comments and again - FoL in no one case will be better or even close to HL.

In the end for FoL build I never should go for retribution talents just because of 5% additional crit. You lack Divine Sac and Divine Guardian as important cd + improved Sacred Shield by Divine Guardian talent. Since FoL build requires a lot of spell power and SS stacks with it it's a must. On bis gear with proper gear you can reach 50% crit with no problem without these 5% more crit from the talent.
    Edited: June 4, 2019

3. June 4, 2019  
    Hey @vsetoq, thanks a lot for that feedback!

Regarding Critical Strike, my own experience showed me that it is more useful on an early stage than spell power. However, I fully agree that generally speaking, full spell power (either gems and build) is better. To sum up, for FoL is necessary to have a really high crit. obviously, once you have enough then you should continue with spell power.

Regarding the meta gem, Revitalizing Skyflare Diamond gives MP5 what is completelly useless and crit, which is high enough. Personally I prefer to get bit more mana so I can cast few more HL if needed (taking in account that this is for a high geared character, you should be healing at least iCC10HC so you have to cast some HL).

Could you tell me what's the point of 4t10?

Regarding your comment for VDW and the rest of your reply, just want to clarify that this is not for BiS characters, not even for a really high gear ones. So the damage that they heal is really low (don't think prot build makes really sense taking that into account). I mean, here in this server I don't even have 6k yet and I would be already HL if I were healing iCC25HC. However, I've been healing iCC10NM/HC and ICC25 really easily with a FoL build, which I think it's really enough (and probably more fun). This is just the goal of this guide, to show how a FoL can heal the same or even better than a HL, specially at early stages.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your time and really nice to read you! :)

4. June 4, 2019  
    Could you tell me what's the point of 4t10?
    It's mostly used for helping getting back into HL spam after dropping your buffs/procs due to moving or just not being able to cast HLs (such as in the dream phase on Valithria).