1. June 7, 2019  

State of assassination/mutilate rogue (PVE)

So I am thinking about rolling a rogue because I had a lot of fun last time I played one in WOTLK and especially using an assassination build. However here on warmane I have noticed that every single rogue that I have raided with uses combat spec. Last time I played assassination was one of the top DPS specs, so why is everyone picking combat? Are there any serious bugs that affect mutilate rogues or?

EDIT: just read something about the envenom buff not working as it should?
    Edited: June 7, 2019

2. June 7, 2019  
    So I am thinking about rolling a rogue because I had a lot of fun last time I played one in WOTLK and especially using an assassination build. However here on warmane I have noticed that every single rogue that I have raided with uses combat spec. Last time I played assassination was one of the top DPS specs, so why is everyone picking combat? Are there any serious bugs that affect mutilate rogues or?

EDIT: just read something about the envenom buff not working as it should?
    There is nothing wrong as far as I know. Assa is competitive, just not quite as good as combat. Combat has 2 main advantages - better DPS when changing targets/when on the move (less punished by lower uptime since burst windows) and it brings unique buff (% physical DPS for whole raid)

3. June 8, 2019  
    Envenom works fine. The spec is good on some fights and bad on others; best-case scenario fights like Halion, Deathbringer, Festergut, Rotface, etc, they can come close to Combat in dps assuming both rogues are well geared. I'd say it's a bit easier to gear Assassination since you don't need 4-pieces of tier 10 gear for best-in-slot, and the off-pieces you need aren't typically sought by other classes.

Combat is better don't get me wrong, but sometimes it just feels good to play something different -and Assassination is still competitive dps-wise.