1. The gold squish is fine for people with lots of money and decent gear and gear they still need they can get from raids etc, its really only affects low levels struggling to get gear to level with, better bags, more bank storage and level 40 and 60 mounts. I dont have much gold and i worked hard to get it. I get how it helps the economy but i think it should apply only to accounts who have more than a certain ammount or something. My highest level character is i think 26 or something and i barely got enough for my 40 mount, i think its unfair to half what i have worked hard to get and others like me that are new to the server.

2. After reading all the replies, I see there are two types of people here:

1. Who don't care what happens with their money. These are people who either already have everything they need and the squishing is nothing but another journey for them, or the people who don't actually have anything to lose.

2. Who really care for their hard-earned gold. Imagine a scenario where a person reached 4800g just before the squish-day and got shy of 200g to buy the fast flying mount. Next day, they will need not 200g but 2600g to get that mount.

The up-side to the squish as the staff said: Better Economy. As, not every person who's first character reaches 70 should be able to buy the fast mount.

The down-side: In the next few days, leading upto the squish-day, you will see an increased demand for primos, herbs, ores etc. People will want to invest in such non-liquid assets, making the prices for these things to go higher(Read, a primo that sells for 1.2k might go upto 2.4k). Post the squish-day, these people would start selling the items to recover their gold, creating a huge supply and lesser demand, making the raised prices to go down to normal(back to around 1.2k) price. The loser ultimately is the one who didn't invest in non-liquid assets.

3. So much text here. Just a little addition: without it gold will cost nothing, anc u can already see how it is on other privite servers.
    And when u're telling this is bad for low gear chars with no gold, imagine fresh ppl coming to server and can't buy even glyphs cause "i don't wanna sell it for gold. farm some primos so we can talk"

4. After reading all the replies, I see there are two types of people here:

1. Who don't care what happens with their money. These are people who either already have everything they need and the squishing is nothing but another journey for them, or the people who don't actually have anything to lose.

2. Who really care for their hard-earned gold. Imagine a scenario where a person reached 4800g just before the squish-day and got shy of 200g to buy the fast flying mount. Next day, they will need not 200g but 2600g to get that mount.

The up-side to the squish as the staff said: Better Economy. As, not every person who's first character reaches 70 should be able to buy the fast mount.

The down-side: In the next few days, leading upto the squish-day, you will see an increased demand for primos, herbs, ores etc. People will want to invest in such non-liquid assets, making the prices for these things to go higher(Read, a primo that sells for 1.2k might go upto 2.4k). Post the squish-day, these people would start selling the items to recover their gold, creating a huge supply and lesser demand, making the raised prices to go down to normal(back to around 1.2k) price. The loser ultimately is the one who didn't invest in non-liquid assets.
    Well Said!

So much text here. Just a little addition: without it gold will cost nothing, anc u can already see how it is on other privite servers.
    And when u're telling this is bad for low gear chars with no gold, imagine fresh ppl coming to server and can't buy even glyphs cause "i don't wanna sell it for gold. farm some primos so we can talk"
    With it you will have less gold AH prices will stay the same or will go higher and you will spend more coins to buy gold from the store.

how about we halve all materials, primodials etc to decrease hording of items?
    I mean, some players having multiple guild banks filled with items are pretty much dictating economy after this gold squish. This would make economy healthier even further :)
    This is going to make the rich richer and the poor poorer is all it will do. Prices in vendors will stay the same AH will stay the same or go up. How will this help at all?

5. This is going to make the rich richer and the poor poorer is all it will do. Prices in vendors will stay the same AH will stay the same or go up. How will this help at all?
    How will this make rich people richer? Rich people have spent all their gold into mats by now. Squishing it by half makes them poorer. Stop spamming bull**** into this thread. Thanks.

6. I know it has positive effects on the economy but can someone actually explain the whole thing in detail?

I'm no economist and from my perspective the point is preventing the top 1% from getting ultra rich which would make it nearly impossible for the newbies to get the stuff they need. It is also widely known that with some brain people can actually turn a profit from the gold squish, making them more affluent. Since there is no expansion here it is completely logical to think that people who play from the start and have everything they need can easily dominate the AH and the whole in-game market. Even if you did nothing but end-game dailies for years every day you'd have 100k+ gold easily without any AH playing. WoW's economy is a hard-to-understand system especially here, where everyone's trying to play the AH and with so many players it is actually working. Even if you play 10h a day playing the AH, you won't be able to stop the undercutters or other not-so-good things that can happen to your market domination. Of course the thing worth doing is stacking up incredible amounts of mats and selling them smart around the gold-squish when the demand grows.

The vendors are excellent "gold sinks" for the economy. They make gold disappear and yes they give items in return, still it's not the same since these items are usually soulbound. If you're afraid of the squish I suggest you buy the expensive vendor mounts or 280% flying and stuff like that, remember, the vendor prices will stay the same. You can easily run into 40-50k buying all the in-game vendor mounts and riding skills. That's a great amount of gold and if you try to do it after the squish you'll be left with 20-25k which is enough for the dala mammoth and the 280% flying, nothing more.

Please, someone who's actually studies/into economics correct my mistakes and enlighten me on this topic, I'm having a hard time understanding the idea behind it ( knowing the rich will get more money actually, and the poor will stay poor ).

7. How will this make rich people richer? Rich people have spent all their gold into mats by now. Squishing it by half makes them poorer. Stop spamming bull**** into this thread. Thanks.
    And can sell the mats after, Thanks.

8. And can sell the mats after, Thanks.
    I was talking about when he said (This would make economy healthier even further :)) None of this will help any player in any way. All this is going to do is make gold go up on the cash store so you have to buy more coins. OPEN YOUR EYES EVERYONE.

9. I know it has positive effects on the economy but can someone actually explain the whole thing in detail?

I'm no economist and from my perspective the point is preventing the top 1% from getting ultra rich which would make it nearly impossible for the newbies to get the stuff they need. It is also widely known that with some brain people can actually turn a profit from the gold squish, making them more affluent. Since there is no expansion here it is completely logical to think that people who play from the start and have everything they need can easily dominate the AH and the whole in-game market. Even if you did nothing but end-game dailies for years every day you'd have 100k+ gold easily without any AH playing. WoW's economy is a hard-to-understand system especially here, where everyone's trying to play the AH and with so many players it is actually working. Even if you play 10h a day playing the AH, you won't be able to stop the undercutters or other not-so-good things that can happen to your market domination. Of course the thing worth doing is stacking up incredible amounts of mats and selling them smart around the gold-squish when the demand grows.

The vendors are excellent "gold sinks" for the economy. They make gold disappear and yes they give items in return, still it's not the same since these items are usually soulbound. If you're afraid of the squish I suggest you buy the expensive vendor mounts or 280% flying and stuff like that, remember, the vendor prices will stay the same. You can easily run into 40-50k buying all the in-game vendor mounts and riding skills. That's a great amount of gold and if you try to do it after the squish you'll be left with 20-25k which is enough for the dala mammoth and the 280% flying, nothing more.

Please, someone who's actually studies/into economics correct my mistakes and enlighten me on this topic, I'm having a hard time understanding the idea behind it ( knowing the rich will get more money actually, and the poor will stay poor ).
    As far as I can tell:

Gold squish is intended to reduce amount of accumulated gold in circulation, but actual effect is opposite, since everyone pulls out their dusty reserves to not lose them and puts them back into economy. Evidence of this would be the lowest average prices on market were 6-7 months after squish, moment in time where everyone feels "safe" - "dusty gold" that were forced before squish back into circulation has drained back into "dusty reserves" in banks.

Gold squish can not impact general baseline - reason is that average person participating in trading farmed their gold in few weeks - month. So "positive healthy" stuff is so minor and short that I simply refuse to believe for a second that this kind of reasoning is even a part of cause for squish. Its just smokescreen.

Gold squish is a thing that creates reason for its own existence, don't know the term for it, but it's a problem that causes itself.

So, judging by this there are other reasons for squish, probably, nuking farmer reserves at the expense of everyone, generating demand for gold via site trade

TL;DR
    Squish does nothing, only negatives(for players) and battle with windmill. Firsts squish worked tough, you know why? Because there were additional changes, reduced rates. None of the next squishes did anything - only upset the economy.

10. I'm just going to say if anyone thinks this is a good idea then your crazy. Squish our gold and we squish the amount of money we spend in cash shop.

11. the squish helps the poor,after squish the natural gold generation methods like questing and selling vendor trash will be twice as effective for a short period as material costs will be at 50% till the inflation bumps them up again

12. the squish helps the poor,after squish the natural gold generation methods like questing and selling vendor trash will be twice as effective for a short period as material costs will be at 50% till the inflation bumps them up again
    How can it be twice as effective if "time to gold" is the same, it just makes questing less effective before squish and "normal" after it. If anything inflation caused by squish is beneficial to new players, they farm some stuff for 1 hr and sell it for double amount to get their raiding and stuff. And after squish.. your hard farmed stuff is cheap in comparison, so people prefer to farm quests(creating inflation, instead of trading and draining gold out).

I don't know, something just doesnt add up.

13. i see it like this,doing all icecrown quests will get u something like 5k+ gold,doing this before squish will halve your gold and investing it before squish at uber inflated prices will not be beneficial,but after squish,earning that 5k gold will have more value because of the gold deficit.spend it on your char while the price are below pre-squish price,or invest into material wich are cheaper now after squish and hold onto them till the prices go back to pre-squish will make your post-squish generated gold grow.this method of making gold is not renewable after uve doine every quest but it will get you eungh gold to make good use of the gold deficit situation,and this doesnt involve any interaction with the unstable AH

14. Spend 5K on primordials before/during summer, you'll get 8-10 of them. Hold on to them.
    Squish happens.
    Sell the primordials for about the same price, if not for more.
    Where was the squish again?

Few ways to use this for your benefit:
    - Avoid gold squish. (Buy when cost is low, sell them after squish for similar, if not higher, price)
    - Sell your primordials just before squish when the prices are high. Use the money to buy expensive vendor mounts. Why would you work hard to obtain them, when you can just play with the squish, which always makes major gold inflation happen before it hits. (Buy when the cost is low, sell them december/january for high price, spend the acquired gold on vendor mounts)
    - Only sell/trade the primordials in order to obtain something you need. (They can't squish your gold when you have no gold)

15. Is this for outland as well? The auction house has like 200 items. It cant get anymore dead :p

First ... 2345614 ... Last