1. SoloQ matchmaking RANT

Alright, basically I waited 270 games in order to talk about this, but the pattern is all to clear now. I can’t say I’m a good PvP player, but I’m definitely 1.8k-2kish player and always been since AT especially as a warrior. I have a 6.3gs non SM arms warrior on Icecrown and I’m getting all competitive and hyped about SoloQ just like everyone else and I made my way up to 1800 quite fast, but boy is this matchmaking flawed.

3 times it happened that for 30 or 40 games in a row I got matched EXCLUSIVELY with no exceptions with people that are either undergeared or have a really bad winrate or bad synergy as a team. Now I know probably some players that are full bis and their skill level is 2.5k should win some of these disadvantageous games and get on top anyway but that is not the case with me. I just wanna play have fun and improve but 30-40 games in a row playing with undergeared blackrock mages/destro locks with 200hks and 900 resilence just kills it for me and I’ll just stop playing for now. I’m sure other ppl are experiencing this as well. I’m not asking for easy pts and matches. I’m asking to play with ppl on my gear level and skill level because having to play 40 games with toxic, bad players is counterproductive.

Hopefully something will be done about this.
    30-40 games in a row with bad players in 260 games is not chance, it’s an algorithm and a pattern.

2. First of all, the thread for SQ rants, feedback and suggestions is right there: http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php?t=411778 - way bigger probability that staff members who make these decisions will read it there instead of here.

Secondly, you don't seem to mention their... MMR? Only gear and "skill". Matchmaking looks at MMR only. And as long as your MMR and your teammates' MMR in the match are similar, there is no issue here. Either you are all low MMR, which means you think too good about yourself, or you are all high MMR, which means despite their gear, they ARE skilled enough to be with you - they got that high MMR somehow, after all.

Now, if their MMR is way below yours, then it might need some tweaking. Though that might also mean, that enemies are lower as well. For instance, I have just played a match as a 1.9 ret with two 1.6 teammates, but my enemies were 1.7-1.8. I would call that a perfect matchmaking, considering it's practically impossible to assemble six people of IDENTICAL mmr - some will be lower, some will be higher. Sure, you may got worse teammates than yourself, but you also got worse ENEMIES than yourself - you should be able to carry it through.

3. I don't think the MMR pairing works as intended. I've just recently had a game where our average was 1950 and we crushed some poor souls who were on 1280 (and right after that a 1.8k team against 2150 team). I know there's a system on blackrock where if the queue is long it's going to keep lowering the MMR search until you find people but the examples I gave you were both on a 3 minute queue.

But to be honest, skill difference between teams is the least of problems in soloq. Toxicity is beyond anything you've ever seen in any other environment. If you play a quick 1 hour session, your mother will die five times, you'll get ten different types of cancer and you'll be asked to delete your character at least 20 times. I've been whispered by people even after winning games to be called an ***** for not attacking the target they wrote on party chat or some other nonsense reason.

Big egos with no skill to back it up sums up sq pretty well.

4. I've been whispered by people even after winning games to be called an ***** for not attacking the target they wrote on party chat
    Damn, you are good enough they actually deem you worthy of their precious time and lessons. Apparently, I am a case so hopeless that they simply write "dog ret" and leave without any other comments. XD

5. First of all, the thread for SQ rants, feedback and suggestions is right there: http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php?t=411778 - way bigger probability that staff members who make these decisions will read it there instead of here.

Secondly, you don't seem to mention their... MMR? Only gear and "skill". Matchmaking looks at MMR only. And as long as your MMR and your teammates' MMR in the match are similar, there is no issue here. Either you are all low MMR, which means you think too good about yourself, or you are all high MMR, which means despite their gear, they ARE skilled enough to be with you - they got that high MMR somehow, after all.

Now, if their MMR is way below yours, then it might need some tweaking. Though that might also mean, that enemies are lower as well. For instance, I have just played a match as a 1.9 ret with two 1.6 teammates, but my enemies were 1.7-1.8. I would call that a perfect matchmaking, considering it's practically impossible to assemble six people of IDENTICAL mmr - some will be lower, some will be higher. Sure, you may got worse teammates than yourself, but you also got worse ENEMIES than yourself - you should be able to carry it through.

That's right. I don't remember their exact MMRs as we're talking about let's say ~100 games. However, I can say that when I won some games in these "series" it would give me around 20 rate, on the other hand, when I lost - only substracted aroun 5-8. This imho means that the MMR gap was apparently not in my favor. The fact alone that u get paired with players with 20-47, 50-60, 457-530 stats for 30 games in a row in soloQ means that something is wrong regardless of MMR and that your chances of wining are really thin as these people mostly lose.

6. I don't remember their exact MMRs as we're talking about let's say ~100 games.
    No need to remember, you can look them up at this very moment in your armory, inside match history.

However, I can say that when I won some games in these "series" it would give me around 20 rate, on the other hand, when I lost - only substracted aroun 5-8. This imho means that the MMR gap was apparently not in my favor.
    PR gain/loss should have nothing to do with the MMR gap between you and your team. It's supposed to be based on the gap between your PR and your MMR - when you create a brand new team, you gain 48 and lose 0, isn't that right? Because even though your PR is 0, your MMR is like 1.5 (or something similar). It is designed that way so if you have 50% consistent winrate, your PR would eventually catch up to your MMR and wouldn't sit at 0 forever.

The fact alone that u get paired with players with 20-47, 50-60, 457-530 stats for 30 games in a row in soloQ means that something is wrong regardless of MMR and that your chances of wining are really thin as these people mostly lose.
    Isn't the MMR shared between SQ and 2s? So if you have high MMR in 2s, poor SQ winrate doesn't affect you that much.

Another thing to consider, is whether or not MMR gain/loss is based on win/loss ONLY, or something more. Some other games take end-match stats into consideration as well, so if they do have a poor winrate but play more or less well, just get unlucky, their MMR is not completely demolished.

These are just speculations - I don't know how it works exactly. It's most likely confidential, so people wouldn't change their playstyle specifically for the extra MMR gains. My point is, there are way more things to consider (that I didn't even mention in this comment because I did not consider those too) than just raw SQ winrate.
    Edited: January 30, 2020

7. No need to remember, you can look them up at this very moment in your armory, inside match history.

PR gain/loss should have nothing to do with the MMR gap between you and your team. It's supposed to be based on the gap between your PR and your MMR - when you create a brand new team, you gain 48 and lose 0, isn't that right? Because even though your PR is 0, your MMR is like 1.5 (or something similar). It is designed that way so if you have 50% consistent winrate, your PR would eventually catch up to your MMR and wouldn't sit at 0 forever.

Isn't the MMR shared between SQ and 2s? So if you have high MMR in 2s, poor SQ winrate doesn't affect you that much.

Another thing to consider, is whether or not MMR gain/loss is based on win/loss ONLY, or something more. Some other games take end-match stats into consideration as well, so if they do have a poor winrate but play more or less well, just get unlucky, their MMR is not completely demolished.

These are just speculations - I don't know how it works exactly. It's most likely confidential, so people wouldn't change their playstyle specifically for the extra MMR gains. My point is, there are way more things to consider (that I didn't even mention in this comment because I did not consider those too) than just raw SQ winrate.
    I accept everything you said as valid. I do not claim to be competent on the matter. I'm just another pleb that's complaining about something I find annoying. If this is just the way it is and other people go through it - ok. I'll accept it. Just trying to gain clarity here because I saw a pattern - 30 games it's fine, balanced, then for next ~30 i mostly lose due to playing with unfavorable matchups or low geared ppl that get ran over vs say well geared unh dk+warr.

regards

8. I accept everything you said as valid. I do not claim to be competent on the matter. I'm just another pleb that's complaining about something I find annoying. If this is just the way it is and other people go through it - ok. I'll accept it. Just trying to gain clarity here because I saw a pattern - 30 games it's fine, balanced, then for next ~30 i mostly lose due to playing with unfavorable matchups or low geared ppl that get ran over vs say well geared unh dk+warr.

regards
    All good fam, not blaming, just trying to explain how it is in my mind. xd Keep in mind, even if it really IS bad, terrible, etc - it is the same for everyone. Warmane didn't target YOU specifically to ruin YOUR personal game experience. Irony of balancing - if balancing sucks, it's actually not that bad, cuz it sucks for everyone.

9. June 7, 2020  
    ok this is matchmaking is really really busted now.....i played alot of games this season on my disc (1000+) and got to 2k etc etc but then slowly dropped and for a month now i am at 1800 and im only getting ppl with little bit better than starter gear and 1500-1700 mmr.......i havent gotten like 1850+ ppl ONCE! fix this asap