1. The Time is Nigh (Crossrealm discussion)

I meant to write this for a while now, regularly starting and stopping as I realized that the most probable outcome is a brief discussion with the same few people that comment upon this topic, with nothing being done to address the schism that has disrupted an often overlooked part of this server's community.

Now, however, with the real-world experiencing a crisis unlike any in recent history, I feel that there is a potential for change taking place. Due to global lockdown caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the Lordaeron realm is undergoing a population growth, and it is very likely that this won't change in the upcoming weeks, possibly months.

What I propose is simple - disable crossrealm for Lordaeron.

Why now? Well, there are and will be enough players to guarantee fast queues for both factions. What's more, these players are very probably a mix of new and old, both residents of this server that have stopped playing for one reason or another, as well as newcomers looking to exchange the reality of the global pandemic with a world where any disease is just one cleanse away. This means that the battlegrounds and arenas will be populated with characters across all stages of their PvP journey, from freshly dinged 80s to veterans from years past.

Going over the forums, it is apparent that there isn't universal agreement on whether crossrealm was beneficial or detrimental to the health of Lordaeron PvP community. I can say that for myself, I have been deterred from coming back here because of it.

Mind you, it is not because I wouldn't have the gear or the experience to go toe to toe with players from other realms. It is rather because the main reason that I started on this realm were the features put in place to sustain the spirit of community that has been on official realms in the early days of WotLK and WoW. These measures served to create a connection between the players, and give them the reason and time to maintain it.

To keep this directed at crossrealm specifically, I feel that it removed what I came here for PvP wise - going to battle with people I know, against people I know. Seeing the roster and knowing that there is reliable support to count on, as we have to face off against champions of the other side that I know will put up a good fight. Reading the posts of others, I am not the only one to feel this way.

What I suggest could be seen as a trial. Disable the crossrealm feature for a limited time, and see how the realm adapts.

Will the PvP community be revived, with Dalaran sewers once again bustling with activity and battlegrounds being filled with honor?
    Keep it disabled for as long as it so.
    Will the players of Lordaeron reject this change, preferring to rather face off with people from Icecrown and Blackrock?
    Revert back to it, confirming it as the right choice.

tl;dr: now is the time to disable crossrealm for Lordaeron and see its impact on the PvP community
    Edited: May 1, 2020 Reason: More accurate topic name

2. Lordaeron is a de facto PvE realm at this point. I don't see why any person would go there to PvP when you can get free gear on blackrock. So all these "new" players you talk of aren't relevant.

3. Horde has no chance against alliance on lordaeron.soo it Will be good if they remove crossrealm.

4. Lordaeron is a de facto PvE realm at this point. I don't see why any person would go there to PvP when you can get free gear on blackrock. So all these "new" players you talk of aren't relevant.
    It was considered a de facto PvE realm for years, which didn't stop a PvP community from existing. Even then you could just go to Blackrock and get instant gear, yet people still came here for the sole purpose of enjoying an environment where the gear was hard-earned and skill well-known.

Horde has no chance against alliance on lordaeron.soo it Will be good if they remove crossrealm.
    Ideally, there should be a balance between the factions (no one likes being roflstomped constantly). The mercenary mode could be used to facilitate this if the need arises.

Note that there were some replies to this thread that are now gone. I assume this was because they didn't add much to a constructive discussion, and so I would like to ask everyone to think whether their post addresses the topic at hand or just smears other people's opinions.

5. I was asking for a trial period for a while now. There's no a single reason why wouldn't they do it except fear that it might actually work which would mean that the system they worked on for so long results in a failure for now (adding new icecrown-like realms would benefit from xrealm but not lordaeron). Even then the tech would be there waiting for its true purpose. Mercenary mode is a million times more useful system for lordaeron community than xrealm. You dont believe it - make a trial period and see for yourself. What i would want to add tho is that if its possible to keep the xrealm for non 80 levels. For those who say "just go pvp on blackrock" they should know that not everybody plays this game alone and moving the whole community or just a few friends that wanna stick on lord for pve or achies or whatever is very hard if not impossible. Think about this Warmane and give us our sense of community back.

6. There's no a single reason why wouldn't they do it except fear that it might actually work
    Or fear that it wouldn't work and kill the pvp scene on the realm in its entirety. But yes, both apply. I can't think of anyone who has a working crystal ball, so if any changes are made, would have to be done methodically and very carefully. And that's a big IF.

7. Thats why its called a TRIAL period. Just revert back if it doesn't after a month or two. Thats all we ask for.

8. You say that as though everyone will accept it as such, and that you're absolutely sure it won't have any long-lasting consequences. We don't know that. We *can't* know that. That's my point here. The realm is quite healthy population-wise, and for all we know, the few that are commenting here that they are unhappy about cross-realm may be the minority, and making such a change could make people leave in droves. Conversely, it could have the opposite effect and cause the realm to become even more popular, and then the "trial period" ends and people leave because the change(s) weren't permanent. Ever hear of the butterfly effect?

Such changes have to be carefully considered and carefully executed if decided upon. "Trial period" or no.

9. I still don't get why the mercenary mode which can be turned on and off by the players, was asked for the players opinion before it was added, but the BG+Arena merge was just forced.

10. I still don't get why the mercenary mode which can be turned on and off by the players, was asked for the players opinion before it was added, but the BG+Arena merge was just forced.
    That's a good question.

11. And that's a big IF.
    Even a very big IF provides a glimmer of hope.

Thats why its called a TRIAL period. Just revert back if it doesn't after a month or two. Thats all we ask for.
    I was considering even less. While the positive uptake might take some time to show, as the word would need to spread out to players that are not active anymore, the possible negative reaction would be fast to come. I would expect that in the span of few weeks these could be gauged, and based on the numbers/feedback the trial would either continue (neutral or positive net reaction) or stopped (negative net reaction).

the few that are commenting here that they are unhappy about cross-realm may be the minority
    Here I am unsure about the difficulty of such an undertaking, but wouldn't a poll regarding this be an option? I agree that any changes have to be made based on correct assumptions, and it seems that getting more data is the way to start.

I still don't get why the mercenary mode which can be turned on and off by the players, was asked for the players opinion before it was added, but the BG+Arena merge was just forced.
    For this effort to be productive, I suggest that we concentrate on the future rather than scrutinize the past.

12. Woow people want 6vs6 wsg only...nahh mercy thanks for cross realm! :)

13. Woow people want 6vs6 wsg only...nahh mercy thanks for cross realm! :)
    Agree!Who cry about crossrealm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kgpBPm9o7I

14. the queue times are getting a bit much, esp w/ this whole coronavirus thing. im currently sitting in a queue of 200 minutes that keeps rising instead of falling.

15. Yes but healers are big problem on alliance side , while on horde side every bg has 2-3 good healer.

123 ... Last