1. Is this legal?

Well, i was waiting on the boat that goes from Booty Bay to Ratchet and this nerd Ally takes his pet out and it attacks me, then the Booty Bay Bruisers started attacking just me as well. What the hell?

2. Yes, it's legal and there's not a single reason why it shouldn't be. Guards attack you only if you attack others or try to defend yourself via CC, popping a priest shield that deflects damage due to talent, retri aura etc. Attacking is self-explanatory.

3. I don't know, it doesn't seems to be fair to me, maybe devs should check it out.

4. it's an abuseable feature.
    when you see someone in a neutral town (booty bay, gadgetzan, etc) and you see he has ret aura on you can attack him, or send your pet to attack him to get him attacked by guards.
    So just be careful when you are those towns to not give people opportunities. And on the other hand, you can look at other people and get them attacked by guards if you see they have ret aura on.

The guards don't care if you actively attacked someone. If they see someone got damaged by you, they will attack