1. May 16, 2020  

Tank Expertise Rating - Do I Actually Need It?

If expertise is so important, why do the vast majority of tanks with heroic LK kills on Lordaeron completely ignore it on their gear?

In just about all of the tank guides I have read, I have always seen said that after reaching the defense and hit caps that it is important to get expertise to lower the chance bosses can avoid your attacks as you are always attacking them from the front. I believe the expertise cap for ICC bosses is 26.

As far as sources of expertise, different races have +3 expertise if they are using a certain type of weapon, for example humans get +3 expertise if they are using a sword or mace. Glyphs are also a potential source of expertise as Paladins get 10 expertise while seal of vengeance is on. Talents are another source of expertise as druids get 10 expertise from primal precision. These are great pickups to gain expertise, but as the cap is 26 you need a great deal of expertise from items / gems if you want to get expertise capped as a tank.

Warmane armory has an option to see guild comps / characters that have downed bosses ranked by how long the encounter took. I have checked about 13 different tanks gears that have downed lich king on heroic difficulty and only 2 of them had expertise on any of their items (1 had Mithrios Bronzebear's Legacy and another had Grinning Skull Greatboots) while the remaining 9 had no expertise on their gear. Now all of the tanks I checked had 1 single stamina/expertise purple gem in the head slot to meet their meta requirement, but this 1 gem alone still leaves you quite short on expertise.

Again, If expertise is so important, why do the vast majority of tanks with heroic LK kills on Lordaeron completely ignore it on their gear?

2. May 16, 2020  
    there's a thing called parry haste, which is important specifically for dragons (and certain others? not too sure) on heroic, and most tanks have off-sets with expertise (t10 pants among others)

the expertise cap for parry is 40+ somewhere (haven't checked in a while, might be 42 or 52) so you do need a significant amount of exp for halion heroic, but you don't for marrowgar

3. May 18, 2020  
    If expertise is so important, why do the vast majority of tanks with heroic LK kills on Lordaeron completely ignore it on their gear?

In just about all of the tank guides I have read, I have always seen said that after reaching the defense and hit caps that it is important to get expertise to lower the chance bosses can avoid your attacks as you are always attacking them from the front. I believe the expertise cap for ICC bosses is 26.

As far as sources of expertise, different races have +3 expertise if they are using a certain type of weapon, for example humans get +3 expertise if they are using a sword or mace. Glyphs are also a potential source of expertise as Paladins get 10 expertise while seal of vengeance is on. Talents are another source of expertise as druids get 10 expertise from primal precision. These are great pickups to gain expertise, but as the cap is 26 you need a great deal of expertise from items / gems if you want to get expertise capped as a tank.

Warmane armory has an option to see guild comps / characters that have downed bosses ranked by how long the encounter took. I have checked about 13 different tanks gears that have downed lich king on heroic difficulty and only 2 of them had expertise on any of their items (1 had Mithrios Bronzebear's Legacy and another had Grinning Skull Greatboots) while the remaining 9 had no expertise on their gear. Now all of the tanks I checked had 1 single stamina/expertise purple gem in the head slot to meet their meta requirement, but this 1 gem alone still leaves you quite short on expertise.

Again, If expertise is so important, why do the vast majority of tanks with heroic LK kills on Lordaeron completely ignore it on their gear?
    Parry hasting bosses dont exist in icc. But hallion gets parry hasted so getting exp cap is important. Also 99% of tanks on icc patch have no idea how to gear themselves and just stacking stamina lol, then they miss a taunt, their opener gets dodged or they have a huge pool of ****ty health that none cares about since they could have 60k instead of 70 and still be the same tanky while having all the other stats as well. All bosses before icc get parry hasted as well, this can destroy your tank in lower gs raids.

4. May 19, 2020  
    Parry hasting bosses dont exist in icc.
    Doesnt exist in icc? Ldw or sindra??
    Yea you dont need expertise so sindra can parry/haste breath you :)))))

5. May 19, 2020  
    Doesnt exist in icc? Ldw or sindra??
    Yea you dont need expertise so sindra can parry/haste breath you :)))))
    Ignore the dude above. He's used to talk out of his ***. Does not know basics in ICC but calls out other tanks for not knowing what to do :D. Laughing at 60k hp vs 70khp, doubt he has ever heard of the concept of EHP and its importance in wrath :D

6. May 19, 2020  
    26 for non dragons
    56 for dragon bosses

7. How in the hell do you get 56????

8. there's actually quite a few tank items with a lot of expertise on them, but you also gem those pieces with expertise

vali boots have 61, glorenzelg has 99, every tank tier legs have 82/93 (depending on sanct norm/hc)... you do need a custom gear set with which the tank can get to 50+ exp (due to how parry haste currently works, you don't REALLY need 56)
    Edited: June 17, 2020

9. For Sindy hc you might want to put expertise gems in frost-resist gear, just as a side note.

10. Anub'arak is the last boss that gets parry hasted till end of icc. All of naxx and ulduar bosses get parry hasted. Hallion also gets parry hasted. So except icc the rest of the expansion requires expertise. Ehp is usefull yes, not if you parry haste the boss though cause 3 30k hits on hallion will wipe you no matter how much ehp you have. Learn to gear+gem your character depending on the occasion. On hallion normal you may not need exp cause you will survive the hits. On heroic you will not. Dont gem full stamina. And yes!!! GET PIECES WITH EXP AND ARMOR ON THEM. dodge and parry are fcking trash only usefull for dungeon clearing without healer and voa solotanking

11. If 3x30k hits happen then you dont need expertise, but rather teach your mdps or pets how to position to not trigger parry haste.

12. Expertise rating is necessary if you are doing heroic Raids . and its as important as hit and defence cap has to be.