1. May 19, 2020  

How does PVP work and when should I start it?

Howdy. To keep it short, I never really got too far in retail and my only experience with WoW has mainly been on private servers. I previously played on Light's Hope before classic was released and I started playing here on Lordaeron about a week ago. I currently have a level 30 Dwarf Priest and have been having fun levelling and clearing dungeons with others.

My journey has finally brought me to Arathi Highlands, and I've gotten 2 quests at Refugee Point stating I have to win an Arathi Basin battlegrounds match to complete the quests. I accepted them and queued up for AB battlegrounds but I'm not really sure how PvP in wow works. Am I going to find a game at my level at all? The queue doesnt have an estimated timer. Also, am I going to be placed in a game with max levels if I do happen to find a match? I figure I would and I would be pretty useless to my team or be a weight to them. Just not really sure how this all works. Thank you.

2. May 19, 2020  
    If your going to do Battleground, I would suggest Froustmourne over Lordaeron, Blackrock, and Icecrown because they have their own BG bracket.

Technically people from Icecrown and Loadaeron can qualify for the low bracket, but I got a sub 1000 GS char on Icecrown that is placed in the higher bracket!

3. May 19, 2020  
    Howdy. To keep it short, I never really got too far in retail and my only experience with WoW has mainly been on private servers. I previously played on Light's Hope before classic was released and I started playing here on Lordaeron about a week ago. I currently have a level 30 Dwarf Priest and have been having fun levelling and clearing dungeons with others.

My journey has finally brought me to Arathi Highlands, and I've gotten 2 quests at Refugee Point stating I have to win an Arathi Basin battlegrounds match to complete the quests. I accepted them and queued up for AB battlegrounds but I'm not really sure how PvP in wow works. Am I going to find a game at my level at all? The queue doesnt have an estimated timer. Also, am I going to be placed in a game with max levels if I do happen to find a match? I figure I would and I would be pretty useless to my team or be a weight to them. Just not really sure how this all works. Thank you.
    You can abandon those quests instantly. BG quests at low levels are nearly impossible to complete and mostly a waste of time because you can earn the same amount of XP in half the time it will take you to complete it in a BG. Not only that, but queue pops for low levels are very rare and mostly centered around levels 10-19 and 70-79. BGs were very much alive on realm's launch but now it's a wasteland and twink-dominated on the active brackets.

PvP when leveling in open world is fun though and you'll see that a priest is god-tier when you get Shadowform (talent).

4. May 19, 2020  
    You can abandon those quests instantly. BG quests at low levels are nearly impossible to complete and mostly a waste of time because you can earn the same amount of XP in half the time it will take you to complete it in a BG. Not only that, but queue pops for low levels are very rare and mostly centered around levels 10-19 and 70-79. BGs were very much alive on realm's launch but now it's a wasteland and twink-dominated on the active brackets.

PvP when leveling in open world is fun though and you'll see that a priest is god-tier when you get Shadowform (talent).
    I will keep that in mind but I am mainly a holy priest. I usually just run away from any horde I see cause I'm sure they're 30-50 levels above me and wouldnt stand a chance. But maybe I'll give it a shot soon and try to fight someone I see in the world.

5. May 19, 2020  
    I will keep that in mind but I am mainly a holy priest. I usually just run away from any horde I see cause I'm sure they're 30-50 levels above me and wouldnt stand a chance. But maybe I'll give it a shot soon and try to fight someone I see in the world.
    If you're Holy it's best to avoid them as you stated. I thought you were leveling as Shadow since that's the only DPS spec priest has.

6. May 21, 2020  
    Battlegrounds join players from 10-19, 20-29, 30-39 etc. Max level is 80 and then only join with others 80.

Low level bg (battlegrounds) aren't so active like max level, in privates is pretty much dead, there are some popular brackets like 70-79, but in general battlegrounds (or any form of pvp) activity is at max level.

Battlegrounds depends of map, so Arathi Basin is a 15 vs 15 bg, warsong gulch 10 vs 10, even 40 vs 40 maps.
    Depending of map there are different objetives, some are about getting the enemy flag while killing enemy flag carrier, others are about "capping" bases (basically right clicking banner and last 8 secs without being attacked).

Any long cc in pvp is capped at 10 seconds and all cc suffer dimishing returns when applied, so lets say you physic scream, enemy run 8s, if other priest apply physyc scream to that target will last 4 secs, then other guy fear same target is 2 secs to finally target become inmune to fears for a period of time. Not sure about wotlk diminishing return timer, but generally is like 18 or 20 secs after cc expiration.

Dimishing returns works around "type of cc", for example stuns doesn't cut time of fears, roots, polymorph etc, only others stuns.

Arena is 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5. Tiny map with pillars.
    Popular brackets are 2v2 and 3v3, major activity in 2v2 in any version of wow, even privates. Objetive is kill and don't be killed.

Other pvp mechanic is that you exit combat after 6 secs without attack or being attacked (damage over time effects doesn't count), not like pve that you need to kill target to exit combat.

Lordaeron doesn't have shop, level rate is x1 and raids are buffed, the problem is that cross realm matches you with players of the other servers. Warmane shop sells max gear obtanaible, so i don't suggest lord if your intention is pvp much.