1. May 28, 2020  

Ganking

So what's the deal with every person and their mother having nothing better to do than to sit in groups or on their high level character and gank levelers all day? It's not like I've suffered from this a couple of times now, it's happened from the moment I made my character on Icecrown, as well as to my friends that have played here for some time now, and it's happening constantly.
    I can barely quest as it is right now and it's becoming very off-putting to keep trying to play when no one seem to have anything better to do than to kill low-levels.

Am I missing something integral here, like some reward for this kind of behaviour, or are people generally so bored of everything that they spend hours upon hours every day trying to ruin the fun for others?

2. May 28, 2020  
    no rewards. but watching them try to get away is good for a laugh. even more so if they emote at you, or come to the forums.

3. May 28, 2020  
    I am genuinely curious cause what drive would there be for any new player to keep playing if people are constantly stopping you from being able to?

PvP is one thing, but this isn't PvP. It's literally rofl-stomping weaklings that can't fight back.

I get it that when you're losing in PvP on equal footing it happens that you let out your frustration upon others that can hardly fight back. Happens all the time on Classic and Retail, but it seems to be a proper job or smth here which lead to me making this post to begin with cause if it happened a few times then sure, it's annoying but it's managable, but this is literally hindering me from actually playing the game at all.
    Edited: May 28, 2020

4. May 29, 2020  
    PvP is one thing, but this isn't PvP. It's literally rofl-stomping weaklings that can't fight back.

I get it that when you're losing in PvP on equal footing it happens that you let out your frustration upon others that can hardly fight back. Happens all the time on Classic and Retail, ...
    You say that, but most of my BGs feel that way already, and most aren't even premades. Who knew that 2/3 shotting plebs in BG all day desensitizes you to killing lowbies? It is something you have to try for yourself to understand. Also, if you're Horde, you won't be missed. There are too many of ya'll anyway.

5. May 29, 2020  
    I am genuinely curious cause what drive would there be for any new player to keep playing if people are constantly stopping you from being able to?

I get it that when you're losing in PvP on equal footing it happens that you let out your frustration upon others that can hardly fight back. Happens all the time on Classic and Retail, but it seems to be a proper job or smth here which lead to me making this post to begin with cause if it happened a few times then sure, it's annoying but it's managable, but this is literally hindering me from actually playing the game at all.
    I've also been wondering what kind of psychological character is prone to ganking others without any ability to fight back. But I doubt you'll get much valuable insight in this regard in these forums. Most posters in favor of ganking seem to provide aggressive or irrational answers devoid of an actual argument or real information, such as "QQ moar", this is a PvP server (although ganking can hardly be considered PvP), it's Blizzlike (despite circumstances and players have changed in 8 years), etc. The sole conclusion I've reached is that they appear to be instinctive rather than reflexive personalities.

As for the epidemic of ganking per se, many posts pointing out the absurdity of one player ****ing up the otherwise pleasant afternoon of a dozen are closed or deleted. I guess for the sake of appearances and because any form of PvP, real or not, should prove an irresistible source of donations for the server. Hanlon's razor never applies whenever money is involved.
    Edited: May 29, 2020

6. May 29, 2020  
    I get it that when you're losing in PvP on equal footing it happens that you let out your frustration upon others that can hardly fight back.
    Not everything is about having a hurt ego like it seems to you.
    As Skuddy already mentioned, it's fun chasing them when they try to get away. Never heard of tag? This is the virtual version of it, except you're "it" forever here.
    Edited: May 29, 2020

7. May 29, 2020  
    What zone so I help help (gank you)?

8. May 29, 2020  
    Someone chasing you to gank you is rare. I can count on one hand how many times someone actually chased me over 5 years. If you are dummy and just walk up to them with your "hi fwiend" you will die. There is something funny, I see leveler walking past me, even emoting at me as if... what? You have so big balls to do that, I guess they make it hard to run from spirit healer, that's why you are mad.

9. May 29, 2020  
    The sole conclusion I've reached is that they appear to be instinctive rather than reflexive personalities.
    I think you meant to say "reflective" there. Here's another explanation: Those who enjoy ganking likely score very low in the "agreeableness" category of the Big Five Personailty test. I know I scored very low for that, and it's not because I can't decipher other's emotions; I scored very high in those "guess someone's emotion by his/her eyes" tests, but other people's emotions just don't seem to bother me as much.

10. June 1, 2020  
    I think you meant to say "reflective" there. Here's another explanation: Those who enjoy ganking likely score very low in the "agreeableness" category of the Big Five Personailty test. I know I scored very low for that, and it's not because I can't decipher other's emotions; I scored very high in those "guess someone's emotion by his/her eyes" tests, but other people's emotions just don't seem to bother me as much.
    Yes, "reflective", not "reflexive". Thanks for the correction.
    Also, interesting answer.

11. June 1, 2020  
    Perhaps Jonathan Haidt's Moral foundations theory can also be used to explain why some are more disgusted than others about ganking lowbies. If someone values Care/Harm and Fairness/Reciprocity over other moral dimensions (Ingroup/Loyalty, Authority/Respect, Purity/Sanctity), would that make this individual more repulsive to the idea of ganking others?

References:
    Jonathan Haidt's TED Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SOQduoLgRw
    Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonath...dations_theory

12. June 1, 2020  
    Perhaps Jonathan Haidt's Moral foundations theory can also be used to explain why some are more disgusted than others about ganking lowbies. If someone values Care/Harm and Fairness/Reciprocity over other moral dimensions (Ingroup/Loyalty, Authority/Respect, Purity/Sanctity), would that make this individual more repulsive to the idea of ganking others?

References:
    Impressive. I enjoyed reading the short paragraph in Wikipedia, in your link, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonath...dations_theory.

13. June 1, 2020  
    You will come to realise that the world is full or toxic and inmature people who love to feast on other peoples misery, The only reason you se them more often is because of the internet, it has both cons and pros, Communities has cons in many games, you play massive multiplayer at your own risk.

14. June 2, 2020  

References:
    This doesn't answer it for me. Why would I farm lowbies if it gives me literally nothing - no honor, no gold, no items, no achievements, no progress, no nothing. It's complete waste of time from my POV, regardless of care/harm or other personality traits.

Destroying low gs players in BG is completely different, they are willing to fight and you fight them to achieve your goal - winning the BG. And believe me, there are many people with thousands of BG wins who never killed any lowbie (I am one of them), so blaming it for desentizing you makes no sense to me.

15. June 2, 2020  
    It comes down to this: Is it okay to ruin someone's game in a PvP setting? If it's fine to do so in BGs, why not in world PvP zones? There's little difference in killing undergeared 80s compared to lowbies. Also, plenty of people play BGs just to farm HKs (yes, even past 100k) and can care less about winning, they even have a guild for that.

123 ... Last