1. Can't get into Hunter. Is this class good ?

Hey There.
    I'm here on Icecrown - Warmane for some time. I was on the official Server years ago and I had try the classic server last year.
    Is hunter really a good class ? I can't get into it. Well to be fair I only have something about 100 hours into it at level 80 and this class is kinda hard or I just s#ck with it.

The First problem is the radar. I forget to switch the tracking thing in pve (+5% damage with Talents) and in pvp I see red player dots all the time, which kinda makes me nervous ... you know (I could get attacked any moments) or I know that there is someone else near me.

I'm used to know radars or better said minimaps. They excist in every online multiplayer game so far. I don't have any problems where the minimap is (bottom left / upper right). There is this one MOBA game with many champions and everyone has an ultimate... won't tell the name, but I have over 4 thousand games in it and the minimap is at the bottom right.
    The knowledge of seeing the humanoids dots on the map (players) seems to keep me away of having fun with this class.
    I spend thousand of hours on my rogue / Heal druid and I never had any issues with this minimap ..."states of fear thingy" Even when I use cat form which has a humanoid tracker in build of druids.

The second part or let us say the main reason I like to play wow on warmane is the pvp system. When I'm bored at pve or just waiting for the daily reset I do pvp. As a rogue I can pick my fights, avoiding group battles, taking objectives (for example mines in alterac valley, towers). Or just can sneak around and pop up as a tree and do some healings.

Let me get back to hunter. 3 shadow priest dots and you will die. or will take at least 20-25k (90%) damage over time (this is a matter of 3 seconds). And there is no defense at all. You have to run away, feign death and eat food for 10-20 seconds to stay alive.

But regardless of "shadow priests" every other class has a certain characteristics which makes hunter a sitting duck: for example:
    1. The one who runs into your melee range, disarm / fear / root and or frost novas you.
    2. the one who use "dispersion", LoS and heals himself (behind ore mines, fences, buildings, trees)
    3. the One who can pull you into his / group range or charge at you.
    4. Flying and landing into your characters melee range outside of battlegrounds.
    5. Dots (like spamming "Devouring Plague" most annoying tactic ever).

I was playing on cata for some time and I know Hunters have at least 2 or more abilities to heal themselve but on wotlk I can't get into it and I'm death to most dots when I'm on my own. I know all the avoid things, but as a hunter you can't fight back in your defensive skills and like I mentioned it above there is no really chance to avoid anything of the "5 points".

I also have 4- / 500 or more hours on a mage. iceblock / blink are so cool to avoid many things but as a Hunter .... hmm.

Are you a hunter main,... Do you have fun with this class and why ?
    Can you enjoy playing with it in pve and or pvp or do you only play it because your raid needs this class ?

2. I main Hunter, it was my first class on this server and back when i use to play WoW. The reason i chose this class is because i was told its noob friendly and i agree that it is. I strictly use my Hunter for PVE only as not only do i suck at PVP but iv tried PVP and i cant seem to get the hang of it. Once im stunned thats it, gg, dead. I find that in PVE its more fun, in terms that its easier to get the hang of and great for farming, solo questing or bossing etc due to using pet as the tank and dishing out quick DPS. But i have recently made other classes to try them all out and as a noob like me, im finding Paladin fun and easy, but am also trying Rogue which i know is much harder to learn but im keen to give it a go. I think if your looking for an easy to learn class id suggest stay with Hunter OR try Paladin. Both have great survivability and can sustain themselves. I am by no means great at Hunter, i suck a lot haha but i think for PVE its great

3. Basically as Hunter you have one advantage over any other range dps in pvp/pve:
    You can maintain your mobility while not sacrificing any dmg.
    Thats what you want to abuse:

In pvp you want to stay at absolute maxrange next to an object to being able to hide yourself behind it, once any potential danger is around.
    The mindset for hunter gameplay actually matches much more what you should bring to the table when playing FPS games. Being mobile, permanently repositioning yourself.

I would suggest you to watch some Homerjay Videos ( best wotlk hunter), especially when He plays double dps. Try to adept the moving and positioning part into your BG gameplays and you'll be surprised how overpowered this class is. Probably the best BG class and easily capable of toping the BG scoreboard.

4. http://armory.warmane.com/character/...ecrown/summary
    My hunter is my "go to" class when it comes to BG's, Tactic? Stand behind people and nuke, Result? top kills, top damage every single bg.
    I personally go marksman pvp specc, scatter shot is great for getting those melees off you, and the traps make people freeze in their tracks for a few seconds also helps keep the melees off, Incase I get targeted by a range dps I instantly feign death, starts nuke them, when I se they start to cast I wait for the last sec of their cast then pop detterence, after that you can pop "readiness" and use another feign death and detterence, also traps and disengage, Perfect for those double charging warriors, Everytime you pop readiness and do that second disengage you can se how the warrior dies a little bit inside.
    At that point it's a certain kill if you run PvE gear, I have some PvP gear stacked up incase.

I would say that after doing a lot of pvp with every single class, Hunter is one of those classes you can successfully run PvE gear in BG's and totally dominate due to the great defencives and peel effects.

The biggest advice I could give you is allways be the guy at the back that no one sees, Pick a good melee you se in any BG, use him as your personal tank and stay behind him, the more damage he can take the more you can stand at the back dishing out damage, if you're at the front getting targeted, as a Hunter, you're not playing it right.
    Edited: July 13, 2020

5. My main in retail (Cata-WoD) was a hunter and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm working on my 4th 80 here and went for hunter this time. I've also found that WoTLK hunters are pretty useless in PvP. I don't really enjoy PvP to begin with, but on my paladin and even my warlock, I do far better in world PvP than with my hunter. However, with PvE I consistently top the DPS chart even with others who are a few levels above me. The high DPS makes questing incredibly easy. So, I do enjoy playing hunter in PvE but definitely wouldn't recommend it for PvP unless you are experienced.

6. Actually in wotlk it's the other way around, at end game PvE hunters are no where near the top even at single target encounters, and for PvP they are great, high damage combined with healing reduce effect.

7. Hunter was bad desined for WOTLK (bad pet scaling with gear, bad designed spec buff, a lot of totally useless abilities and so on). WOTLK is a kingdom of Pally and DK. There is no problem for official servers - over some (not long) time game progress to new add-on where classes will be redisigned. The freeshard have no progress and bcoz of that bad design so deadly for some classes\specs. Alas.

Only way to fix it - make custom designs, but who can do this?

8. Hey There.
    I'm here on Icecrown - Warmane for some time. I was on the official Server years ago and I had try the classic server last year.
    Is hunter really a good class ? I can't get into it. Well to be fair I only have something about 100 hours into it at level 80 and this class is kinda hard or I just s#ck with it.

The First problem is the radar. I forget to switch the tracking thing in pve (+5% damage with Talents) and in pvp I see red player dots all the time, which kinda makes me nervous ... you know (I could get attacked any moments) or I know that there is someone else near me.

I'm used to know radars or better said minimaps. They excist in every online multiplayer game so far. I don't have any problems where the minimap is (bottom left / upper right). There is this one MOBA game with many champions and everyone has an ultimate... won't tell the name, but I have over 4 thousand games in it and the minimap is at the bottom right.
    The knowledge of seeing the humanoids dots on the map (players) seems to keep me away of having fun with this class.
    I spend thousand of hours on my rogue / Heal druid and I never had any issues with this minimap ..."states of fear thingy" Even when I use cat form which has a humanoid tracker in build of druids.
    As long as you have any of the types listed in the talented, you will benefit from the 5% to all of the types listed. In raids I usually use Dragonkin just so my minimap doesn't clutter, but you can do this in open world too, although the best part of Hunter in open world is being able to see exactly who is around you.

The second part or let us say the main reason I like to play wow on warmane is the pvp system. When I'm bored at pve or just waiting for the daily reset I do pvp. As a rogue I can pick my fights, avoiding group battles, taking objectives (for example mines in alterac valley, towers). Or just can sneak around and pop up as a tree and do some healings.

Let me get back to hunter. 3 shadow priest dots and you will die. or will take at least 20-25k (90%) damage over time (this is a matter of 3 seconds). And there is no defense at all. You have to run away, feign death and eat food for 10-20 seconds to stay alive.

But regardless of "shadow priests" every other class has a certain characteristics which makes hunter a sitting duck: for example:
    1. The one who runs into your melee range, disarm / fear / root and or frost novas you.
    2. the one who use "dispersion", LoS and heals himself (behind ore mines, fences, buildings, trees)
    3. the One who can pull you into his / group range or charge at you.
    4. Flying and landing into your characters melee range outside of battlegrounds.
    5. Dots (like spamming "Devouring Plague" most annoying tactic ever).

I was playing on cata for some time and I know Hunters have at least 2 or more abilities to heal themselve but on wotlk I can't get into it and I'm death to most dots when I'm on my own. I know all the avoid things, but as a hunter you can't fight back in your defensive skills and like I mentioned it above there is no really chance to avoid anything of the "5 points".

I also have 4- / 500 or more hours on a mage. iceblock / blink are so cool to avoid many things but as a Hunter .... hmm.
    Yep, Hunters are one of the weakest classes in 1v1 scenarios, especially vs DOT classes. No sustain, very few defensive options, and are crippled by our deadzone. The only way to go vs SPs, Afflis, and Fmages in a 1v1 is blowing everything and trying to kill them before they can get dots on you. If they survive your everything, you pretty much lose; that's just how it is. Fortunately, Hunters are extremely well suited to playing in groups as our utility, burst, and the fact we're one of only three classes with a Mortal Strike ability (and a 41 yard range one at that!) really start to shine when we're able to play our class.

Are you a hunter main,... Do you have fun with this class and why ?
    Can you enjoy playing with it in pve and or pvp or do you only play it because your raid needs this class ?
    Hunter is hands down my favorite class. It's the most mobile ranged DPS, has a ton of utility, raid functionality, and the difference between a decent Hunter and great Hunter is massive. For me, it's very hard to play another RDPS because of how mobile Hunters are. But if you don't like the class, that's fine, mate. Play what you enjoy. Don't feel compelled to play something you don't like. I personally find MDPS to be insufferable to play, but to each their own.

9. Been playing Hunter for 13 years and it's by far the most fun to me. You have extreme possibilities to outplay your opponent and can achieve the highest raitings with it. While it surely lacks competitiveness in ICC due to Shadowmourne you can be among the top dps classes in earlier tiers (frostmourne).

With proper gear etc. u can also beat most classes in 1vs1 in arena. Except counter gearing dks, ret paladins ofc. Even Shadow Priests are doable if you play it very smartly around their gcds so they cant heal.