1. Paladin spec discussion

Hello guys,

last time I played wow was, I don't know, probably 2007-2008, during tbc dlc, then I quitted. I've never played wotlk and I just got 80 with my paladin on froustmourne. I picked this class cause it's really versatile and basically I can do whatever I want since pala has dps, tank and healer spec. I'm new player once again and to be honest I forgot almost everything after all this time so I don't have that much game knowledge. I would like to hear your opinions about spec viability in pve and pvp. I will probably avoid protection because I don't really enjoy tanking that much, even if I heared it's best spec for pve. I was wondering if ret and holy are both viable in pve and pvp.

In particular I have some questions:

1) what do you think is most efficient spec for pve and for pvp?
    2) going ret (dps) on a support class like paladin does have any sense?
    3) then I heared about this weapon called shadowmourne, I checked it (lmao) so I asked myself if going holy does have any sense in wotlk?

Of course I will maybe try both spec to understand what I find more enjoyable, but in the meanwhile I would be glad to read any opinion or advice.

Thanks in advance,
    Regards

2. Depends on what you want to do, but in general all paladin specs are top tier and all are necessary in raids.

Retribution is very good DPS in PvE, tough it might not be very top - it is close to it and you will find a raid spot easily at any gear/content. And that's not even the part why every raid wants Retri - your Hands, auras and stuff, extremely useful. However you have to pay attention to raid, threat, learn when to use your stuff so its efficient, this is what separates "meh" retri from top dog retri. In PvP Retri is pretty nice and good. Tough here it depends on what exactly your goals are and it might not be what you want(BGs or Arenas, which bracket, etc).

Protection is superb tank overall and will serve you great from start to very endgame.

Holy is great also, "must have" tank-healer laying big fat heals. Same thing in PvE, will get you to the very end, always wanted in raids. In PvP it is awesome, especially if you find a friend to support with your pally stuff and drop the huge heal bombs on so he can run around and destroy everything. Most top Arena 2v2 teams have holy pala + Arms warrior, so that's a thing.

In the end it depends on what is your jam, all specs are great. You can even meme pretty hard in BGs with Prot pally and have great fun.