1. Open Discussion - 79 Twinking, Why?

Dear people who twink at 79, Why do you do that? I understand twinking at lower levels, Items, Enchants, Class Abilities or the lack of all play a big part in the challenge. Having to camp Gurubashi Arena for the Arena Grand Master trinket or the STV fishing hat for 19's, Having to farm Uldaman for the pair of gloves you need in 39's or maybe even the Pendulum of Doom if you're a Warrior/Ret Pally. Not having access to certain enchants because item level plays a big part of it. Maybe you twink at 60 or 70 to do Classic/TBC Raids and are not interested in PVP. All of that I understand.

But 79's? I don't get it. You're 1 level away from max level, Why not just get that 1 level and do end game PVP? I don't see the appeal, so I'm asking people here that play in the 79 bracket;

"Why? Why do you do it? Why do you enjoy it? Why does it appeal to you?"

I'm not making this topic to flame or troll people, I'm genuinely curious.

2. PvP on lvl 79 is balanced on 3.3.5 unlike PvP on lvl 80. PvP on lvl 80 is Shadowmourne+HC offparts spam and a competition who oneshots who first. A lot of the classes and specs are pure garbage for PvP because of this which isn't the case in 79 bracket. Everyone is geared somewhat equally and skill matters more than on 80.
    It's also more developed than say lvl 19 bracket where you have 3 abilities to use. Basically it's lvl 80 BGs but balanced the way they should be.

3. PvP on lvl 79 is balanced on 3.3.5 unlike PvP on lvl 80. PvP on lvl 80 is Shadowmourne+HC offparts spam and a competition who oneshots who first. A lot of the classes and specs are pure garbage for PvP because of this which isn't the case in 79 bracket. Everyone is geared somewhat equally and skill matters more than on 80.
    It's also more developed than say lvl 19 bracket where you have 3 abilities to use. Basically it's lvl 80 BGs but balanced the way they should be.
    This. I might add the time investment is far less as well to get the most out of your characters gear-wise.

4. It's an interesting question, so let me answer it from my point of view and why I like 79 twinking.

First of all I like normal wotlk pvp. The pvp you could have at lvl 80. I don't like having half of my default class skills. The more skills you got the more plays you can come up with, just like on 80. Then why 79? Well, because of quickly becaming competetive. I also do have an 80 lvl pvp toon, but even though I've spent a lot of time on it doing arenas, raids etc I'm still far from being BiS and I can't just fight everyone on equal level, because of gear differences (either they got weaker or stronger gear than me). On 79 you can just craft your set, do few dungeons and voila, if you're good you can beat anyone. Ofc you can also get yourself some tbc items from raids and that can take some time to get, but these are rather minor changes, they don't make such difference as on lvl 80.

In addition bgs are my thing. I really love playing bgs. And I mean competetive play. The level on which 80 lvl bgs are played is total garbage. People have absolutely no idea what to do or they just don't care. You feel like 80% of your team is played by monkeys. Maybe if warmane added ranked bgs things would change, but for now it's just a mere wish. On 70-79 bgs are much more competetive. Significat portion of the 70-79 twinks play on this bracket only, which means they play bgs all the time, often for years already. They know much more about playing bgs and objectives than most of the 80s. And because of that bgs are played on a whole different level.

Also, the difference in making builds. What's the bis item for arms on 80? Smourne, duh, right? What's the bis for arms on 79? Well, many players would argue here because the answer is not that simple. There are many weapons that are equally good, it's up to you to decide which suits your gameplay best. Same goes for every other item. There are even items from vanilla content that can be your BiS on 79 and that's quite interesting. People experiments with items and you can see many different approaches to every class.

The balance of classes is also different on 79. Some might like it how it is there, others prefer how it is on 80. As for me... I like both to be honest. But since my favourite class is much more viable on 79... I play 79 :P

Btw. Thorbjorn, are you a twink? I think I've seen you write in some threads regarding twinking, but not on the toxicfest 79 thread, any other bracket perhaps? xd

5. Btw. Thorbjorn, are you a twink? I think I've seen you write in some threads regarding twinking, but not on the toxicfest 79 thread, any other bracket perhaps? xd
    I used to twink 19 until I got bored and since I can't have 2 DKs on Lordaeron I never got into 70-79.

6. It's an interesting question, so let me answer it from my point of view and why I like 79 twinking.

First of all I like normal wotlk pvp. The pvp you could have at lvl 80. I don't like having half of my default class skills. The more skills you got the more plays you can come up with, just like on 80. Then why 79? Well, because of quickly becaming competetive. I also do have an 80 lvl pvp toon, but even though I've spent a lot of time on it doing arenas, raids etc I'm still far from being BiS and I can't just fight everyone on equal level, because of gear differences (either they got weaker or stronger gear than me). On 79 you can just craft your set, do few dungeons and voila, if you're good you can beat anyone. Ofc you can also get yourself some tbc items from raids and that can take some time to get, but these are rather minor changes, they don't make such difference as on lvl 80.

In addition bgs are my thing. I really love playing bgs. And I mean competetive play. The level on which 80 lvl bgs are played is total garbage. People have absolutely no idea what to do or they just don't care. You feel like 80% of your team is played by monkeys. Maybe if warmane added ranked bgs things would change, but for now it's just a mere wish. On 70-79 bgs are much more competetive. Significat portion of the 70-79 twinks play on this bracket only, which means they play bgs all the time, often for years already. They know much more about playing bgs and objectives than most of the 80s. And because of that bgs are played on a whole different level.

Also, the difference in making builds. What's the bis item for arms on 80? Smourne, duh, right? What's the bis for arms on 79? Well, many players would argue here because the answer is not that simple. There are many weapons that are equally good, it's up to you to decide which suits your gameplay best. Same goes for every other item. There are even items from vanilla content that can be your BiS on 79 and that's quite interesting. People experiments with items and you can see many different approaches to every class.

The balance of classes is also different on 79. Some might like it how it is there, others prefer how it is on 80. As for me... I like both to be honest. But since my favourite class is much more viable on 79... I play 79 :P

Btw. Thorbjorn, are you a twink? I think I've seen you write in some threads regarding twinking, but not on the toxicfest 79 thread, any other bracket perhaps? xd
    So what you're saying is you like one hitting low levels, I knew that. Typical twink!!1

7. Just like any other twink bracket, 79 is the superior choice since you will have a clear advantage against levelers and purists who think its better to stay at 70 and playing at a disadvantage and being a burden.

Why would I ever gimp myself and play at a disadvantage at 60 or 70 and then proceed to rage and cry on forums, in-game and wherever else it might be.
    You choose to play at a disadvantage, dont blame people that play 69s or 79s beacuse they want to min max their character to the breaking point and have the highest possible advantage they can get.

8. so what you're saying is you like one hitting low levels, i knew that. Typical twink!!1
    Yes, I do and I would have gotten away with this, if it weren't for you meddling kid!
    Edited: July 29, 2020

9. I play both, and I often prefer 80, especially if the world pvp is fun in Wintergrasp or wherever. One thing that makes the 79 bracket interesting though is that the community is small enough that people know each other and form rivalries that make wins seem more meaningful. If I win a close WSG at 80 then it's nice and all, but after the game is over both teams have already forgotten about it and moved on to the next bg. An epic win in the 79 bracket against a rival premade feels more meaningful and fun, though and people involved will remember it for a while.

10. I play both, and I often prefer 80, especially if the world pvp is fun in Wintergrasp or wherever. One thing that makes the 79 bracket interesting though is that the community is small enough that people know each other and form rivalries that make wins seem more meaningful. If I win a close WSG at 80 then it's nice and all, but after the game is over both teams have already forgotten about it and moved on to the next bg. An epic win in the 79 bracket against a rival premade feels more meaningful and fun, though and people involved will remember it for a while.
    You obviously hasnt been part of the Icecrown pvp community long enough.
    80s pvp is all about which guild is better and which guild stomps the other guild.

11. You obviously hasnt been part of the Icecrown pvp community long enough.
    80s pvp is all about which guild is better and which guild stomps the other guild.
    Well, I was in one of the better ally pvp guilds a while back, but our premades always either won easily or got beat by Old Division which wasn't very fun for me either way. But you're correct that I'm no longer in the 80 guild scene (mainly for the above reason) and prefer to just do solo world pvp and stuff at 80 so my experiences now may not be typical. One thing I'd note, however, is that the chances of getting in a bg with your rival guild is much higher at 79 than 80. Plus, there's not a dominant 79 guild like Old Division is at 80 (or at least they were when I was playing it). Premades from both factions have a chance to win.

12. Well, I was in one of the better ally pvp guilds a while back, but our premades always either won easily or got beat by Old Division which wasn't very fun for me either way. But you're correct that I'm no longer in the 80 guild scene (mainly for the above reason) and prefer to just do solo world pvp and stuff at 80 so my experiences now may not be typical. One thing I'd note, however, is that the chances of getting in a bg with your rival guild is much higher at 79 than 80. Plus, there's not a dominant 79 guild like Old Division is at 80 (or at least they were when I was playing it). Premades from both factions have a chance to win.
    Thing is OD is not as dominant as everyone claims them to be, we have beat them on several occasions.
    Yes they are really strong but they also recruit mercs exlusively to play GvGs and then those mercs leave the guild afterwards.
    Their real core is only good in numbers, but individually they are weak.

Reason 70-79s does not have a dominant guild most likely is because they dont premade with a full stack and then having to play with useless levelers and 70s who are just hurting your team.
    I would however assume that queuing a 10-15 stack would increase your que times by a insane amount which can be applied to every other twink bracket that does not have reliable queues.

13. It's an interesting question, so let me answer it from my point of view and why I like 79 twinking.
    -snip-
    Then I might have to move to 79's. Especially if it's more competitive.

Fortunately I haven't run up against many smourns yet being on Frostmourne. Even though the BG's are xrealm, about 80% of the people I get in bg's are from my own realm.

I'd also like to thank you and Thorbjorn for your informative replies, You have really helped me understand so thank you.

14. Then I might have to move to 79's. Especially if it's more competitive.

Fortunately I haven't run up against many smourns yet being on Frostmourne. Even though the BG's are xrealm, about 80% of the people I get in bg's are from my own realm.

I'd also like to thank you and Thorbjorn for your informative replies, You have really helped me understand so thank you.
    Thats because Frostmourne cant be matched against shadowmourne players yet

15. 79s are mostly an endless circle jerk so people feel better about themselves. "We're superior? Why? Because everyone else in the twink subforum says we are! Amirite fellow 79ers?". And what about all the 70s that are being bullied for lower BG win rates, because losing is not Keanu chungus wholesome 100 floor gang. 70s are not for "cringe normies", I use them to play with my friends, some play them for nostalgia, some are just bored bg rats... And that damn resil scaling! We, of course, to keep the circle jerk strong, need to have a common enemy (like every single dictatorship btw)! A way to optimize stats with a single, compact and pleasant to look at character? No way, 79s are way too smart for that! Don't forget the few incel 79s that control half of all the big twink guilds and kick everyone they don't agree with + delete discord memes to repost them as their own. 79s can be fun to play, but it's far from being the best twinking level in wow.

12 Last