1. What is Ninja Looting? How to avoid bans/reported?

So, I am new to the server and love it. I understand that a Tank rolling on a healing cloth item could be considered ninja looting, but I need some clarification.

Today, I was in 5 man Heroic VH. I was playing OS healer (am shadow MS). At the end an epic DPS cloth bracers drop. I am using PvP bracers ATM so I decided to roll Need. I won and mage went crazy. Calling me a Ninja and he was going to get me banned. I will use them in either spec (unless PvP), and I am GS 3600 trying to get into walk in raids and I know many RL will kick people with PvP gear. It was questionable on whether is was an upgrade, but IMHO not a ninja roll. I needed to replace the PvP item with Raid Gear...

So, question is; is this ban worthy? He claims he is going to report me as a ninja looter. I don't see it that way. What is your advice moving forward?

Thanks all!

2. Ignore the *****.
    If the item is an upgrade you should roll for it and ignore anyone that give you **** for that since they are just salty.
    Ofc some common sense is required for items like rings, trinkets and cloaks where you should only roll need if they have your primary stat on them.

3. Ignore the *****.
    If the item is an upgrade you should roll for it and ignore anyone that give you **** for that since they are just salty.
    Ofc some common sense is required for items like rings, trinkets and cloaks where you should only roll need if they have your primary stat on them.
    So, is the theory that even if he reports it, Warmane will ignore?

4. The key line I see here is this:

"I was playing OS healer (am shadow MS)."

Which implies that you went in as a healer.

According to Warmane rules, your MS for that specific RDF run = whatever role you go in as, unless you gain explicit permission from all other four party members.

Assuming the above interpretation of your words is correct, you would have been, from Warmane's point of view, 'a healer rolling Need on a DPS item', which does, unfortunately, fall into Ninja-looting category. As to whether you'd actually get that ban, I cannot say. They don't really give out these bans that lightly, but if the mage has sufficient proof, then yeah.

Anyhow, my advice for the future is to play it safe in terms of RDF, and just Need for whatever spec you're currently on - raids are generally much safer thanks to raid loot rules (and the ability to change MS with the agreement of only one person, aka the raid leader, compared to the 4 agreements needed for RDF).

5. Assuming the above interpretation of your words is correct, you would have been, from Warmane's point of view, 'a healer rolling Need on a DPS item', which does, unfortunately, fall into Ninja-looting category. As to whether you'd actually get that ban, I cannot say. They don't really give out these bans that lightly, but if the mage has sufficient proof, then yeah.
    What is a piece of dps or helaer gear for casters is a very moot territory. Majority of DPS-ers, other than ele shamans, benefits from spirit(either crit of spell power) even tho it is not their main stat. And if a caster piece of gear doesn't have hit on it it is definitely a possible upgrade for a healer.
    It is pretty grey area what is DPS caster gear and what is healer gear.

6. What is a piece of dps or helaer gear for casters is a very moot territory. Majority of DPS-ers, other than ele shamans, benefits from spirit(either crit of spell power) even tho it is not their main stat. And if a caster piece of gear doesn't have hit on it it is definitely a possible upgrade for a healer.
    It is pretty grey area what is DPS caster gear and what is healer gear.
    On second read, I realized that OP also said that he would have used the bracers in either spec, so you are correct on this count. In which case, yes, OP should be safe from reports.

I was referring to the very specific scenario where if his currently-on healer spec has a better item (for a healer) than the one being dropped, it would theoretically count as ninja if sufficient proof is provided by the other party. Of course, I agree that it's a very grey area, and will greatly depend on what proof is provided and the individual items themselves.

7. Those http://wotlk.cavernoftime.com/item=37884 are good for healers and for DPS's.

If those were actual DPS items with hit, the mage would have no hard time making effective report.
    Since we don't know what PvP bracers you had, it's hard to say if the wrists from VH are actual upgrade. Some higher ilvl PvP items are way better than lower ilvl PvE counterparts.

According to Warmane rules, your MS for that specific RDF run = whatever role you go in as, unless you gain explicit permission from all other four party members.

Assuming the above interpretation of your words is correct, you would have been, from Warmane's point of view, 'a healer rolling Need on a DPS item', which does, unfortunately, fall into Ninja-looting category. As to whether you'd actually get that ban, I cannot say. They don't really give out these bans that lightly, but if the mage has sufficient proof, then yeah.
    Pretty much how it goes with RDF's.

If OP's intention was to replace weak PvP wrists with "better" PvE wrists for his heal spec, it wouldn't be ninja.
    If OP's intention was to replace weak PvP wrists with "better" PvE wrists for his DPS spec, it would be ninja.

8. So, is the theory that even if he reports it, Warmane will ignore?
    Look here, low ilvl epics in the early wotlk only offers 4 stats instead of 5 which most epics have, For example if we take the "crit / spell power" Wrathfull pvp bracers (lets just assume thats what you got) and compare them to eachother, well, just look below.

106 spell power - 103 stamina - 46 intellect - 60 crit - 60 Resilience. ---PVP bracers----
    59 spell power - 36 stamina - 38 Intellect - 50 crit (and no 5th stat) ---VH PvE Bracers----

if you give me a reason how that is a uppgrade then it's not ninja, but as seen here, it's no where near a uppgrade no matter how you look at it, no matter what specc or what class for that matter, the pvp would be an uppgrade for every single Spell power class every single specc every single day of the week.

But that's if you are using wrathfull or relentless, since you didn't provide any more info about what items you actually had it's hard to tell.

9. Dikstrasa if the OP is talking about raiding with VH gear then it is safe to assume that he is from Frostmourne, not Icecrown. In that case those wrists are a PVE upgrade since raid leaders religiously don't want people with PVP gear.