1. Have to do raids before heroics?

Okay, not a serious question (my title) but still, I'm confused.
    Maybe I just don't remember (which is possible) but I do not recall it being so difficult to get into Heroics? (I'm talking about RDF , just fyi)

I have an average iLvl of 183, because my trinkets aren't 187 items (and maybe one other item is 179 or 183 or something) but it seems like that even if you have all 187 items, you still cannot get into Heroic dungeons. I see people in normal dungeons with FAR MORE gearscore than me and MAYBE they are choosing to be in regular dungeons over heroic but i doubt it.

So, venting off, and now my question is, am I missing part of the game or something? I see iLvL 200 purples in reputation quartermasters, but its exalted rep that is required! Aren't the tabards for heroic dungeons to get the rep to get these purple gears... but I can't get into heroics to get the rep without first getting the rep and getting the item....

There has to be something else I'm missing?
    Maybe to get into Heroics I need to spend 4k gold and buy the garbage purples out of the AH? If that is the case, why not just let me buy access to heroics with gold!? there is no way that ilvl 200 item with frost resistance and stamina is going to make me more powerful in a heroic dungeon vs my int/stam/crit/hit 187 gear.

Someone help me here.
    I was loving this server and wow all over again and then it was like "oh crap, now what" regular dungeons are so boring and since I'm already almost all 187 there isn't even any gear I can get! the ONE trinket that drops from regular dungeons that is caster dps based is from the occulus and 80% of players can't even work the dragons!

just point me in the right direction on how to get geared for heroics and i'll be so happy.

Thank you!

2. How much gs do You have? 3-3,3k should be enough for rdf hc. And be sure not to have an low ilvl item, cause its taking average ilvl down a lot. For example, there are some uncommon trinkets with ilvl ~187 as reward from quests in icecrown etc

Also, check for 200ilvl items on ah - the rare ones are sometimes ultra cheap, like 30g.

Go for icc rep farm - just don't waste time there, get friendly in 30 minutes and get Your first very nice ring.

Check AH for some really cheap epic boes - for example, if You are shaman, You can get 264 ilvl leggins for like 100g. For meele dps or tank there is ring 264ilvl which cost several hundreds of gold usually. There are some leathers/mails/plates or gun from icc trash (boe) which are also cheap. Maybe give me Your nick and realm, I may help You here or ingame.

3. I think you can still do heroics even if it won't let you queue up for them. Try to find a group and do it this way. If you can't then I'm not sure what server you play, if its Icecrown you can use the vote shot to boost yourself up a little with some purps.

4. Hello.
    Thank you for the response.
    I'm dumb and forgot there is more than 1 realm and they aren't the same, sorry about that.

I play on the 7x server, I think its called Frostmourne? either way, i think there is only 1 7x server and i'm on it. I play a warlock and its name is Ljorn.

It sounds like I probably need to spend gold at the AH if I want to fast track to the heroics. I can probably get some reps up by doing quests and get the purples and then get into heroics. The highest items I see in the AH are 226 and they are 15000 gold.

I guess I just hit the "grind wall" for the 7x server. oh well, gotta just grind it out.

5. You have to do walk-in heroics and flame leviathan 10/25, required gear for heroic rdf is 190 ailvl, its higher than it should be but u dont need to waste gold
    I had half of the glory of the hero achievment completed before I was eligible for rdf heroic

6. Okay, not a serious question (my title) but still, I'm confused.
    Maybe I just don't remember (which is possible) but I do not recall it being so difficult to get into Heroics? (I'm talking about RDF , just fyi)

I have an average iLvl of 183, because my trinkets aren't 187 items (and maybe one other item is 179 or 183 or something) but it seems like that even if you have all 187 items, you still cannot get into Heroic dungeons. I see people in normal dungeons with FAR MORE gearscore than me and MAYBE they are choosing to be in regular dungeons over heroic but i doubt it.

So, venting off, and now my question is, am I missing part of the game or something? I see iLvL 200 purples in reputation quartermasters, but its exalted rep that is required! Aren't the tabards for heroic dungeons to get the rep to get these purple gears... but I can't get into heroics to get the rep without first getting the rep and getting the item....

There has to be something else I'm missing?
    Maybe to get into Heroics I need to spend 4k gold and buy the garbage purples out of the AH? If that is the case, why not just let me buy access to heroics with gold!? there is no way that ilvl 200 item with frost resistance and stamina is going to make me more powerful in a heroic dungeon vs my int/stam/crit/hit 187 gear.

Someone help me here.
    I was loving this server and wow all over again and then it was like "oh crap, now what" regular dungeons are so boring and since I'm already almost all 187 there isn't even any gear I can get! the ONE trinket that drops from regular dungeons that is caster dps based is from the occulus and 80% of players can't even work the dragons!

just point me in the right direction on how to get geared for heroics and i'll be so happy.

Thank you!

I believe you need an avarage of 187 Ilevel. Stop doing gearscore and ****.

Let me explain. If you use for example 2h wep instead of 2x1 you will have 16 item slots to fill with average of 187ilevel. that leaves you with 2992 Gearscore in total to be able to enter. Once you get your average item level to 187 you will be able to queue HC. I can confirm this as i recently (25.08.2020) leveled a 80 level. It took me some normals and after my first Naxx run and trinkets from Engi i was able to queue RDF HC

7. You are almost there, Derek!
    Some rep factions like Argent Crusade or the Deathknight Posse are easy to get to exalted just by doing quests, and there are some easy to get 200 ilvl epics from AH that don't require many thousands of cash, just buy what is cheapest no matter class or spec.

Also if you are a class with relics there is a relic piece in grizzly hills from Venture Coin quests

8. Thanks again for the information.
    It's helping me to calm down :P
    It does sound like I'm close and I've been working AC and KoEB reputation and will get exalted with them soon I hope.
    I just find it amusing that you need ilvl 200 epics to be able to get into dungeons that drop ilvl 200 rares. but whatever! almost there!

9. I just find it amusing that you need ilvl 200 epics to be able to get into dungeons that drop ilvl 200 rares. but whatever! almost there!
    You could go that route, or you could keep upgrading the lower than 187 ilvl items. The 200 ilvl gear just happens to boost your average item level more effectively.

10. I believe you need an avarage of 187 Ilevel.
    In Warmane it's closer to somewhere between 191-192.

But yeah, to the OP, generally reputation is a great way to get you started. I would go as far as to recommend buying 'wrong' reputation items (aka items not for your spec) just to get you in RDF HC, you can change back to your actual proper gear once you get in.

Alternatively, ilvl 200 blue BoEs in AH are your best bet to get a good value/cost ratio, you can probably also find ilvl 187 greens to fill the rest of your slots.

If you don't like all that, you can also walk into those Heroic dungeons, though I imagine it would be quite a bit harder to find a walk-in party by this stage of Frostmourne.

Good luck!

11. Hello.

A quick update, the 191-192 seems the most accurate to date because I'm at 190.25 and I still can't get in.
    It looks like 1 of 2 things will happen here for me soon:
    1) I'll get Wyrmrest Accord up and replace my 187 boots with 200 boots and maybe that will boost me enough.
    2) In 5 more days, I'll have 40 Emblems of Valor and can buy a trinket.

My 2 trinkets are both iLvL 174 so that must be holding me back.
    I have 200 neck, back, robe, gloves, belt, 1 ring
    I have 187 head, shoulder, wrist, legs, boots, 1 ring, 2handed staff, wand

The bought the 200 robe for ~500g but haven't spent any money other than that (I also bought the back and neck a while back, but they were like 140g total)

After I get the boots from Wyrmrest Accord and the Trinket from the Emblems, I *should* be able to queue for Heroic RDF.

I still think this is absolutely ridiculous to get into dungeons that only drop 200 rares.

But maybe 3.1 is just a bad spot for the game or something.... /shrug

12. I got the 187 trinket from Reg Occulus and that put me to 191.0625 average iLvL and I can now queue for RDF Heroics.

WOO HOO!