1. Sudden FPS drops and crashes.

Hello, i am using a laptop to play which has GTX1650 and i7 9th gen CPU with 16GB of ram, as I had mentioned in the title i get sudden FPS drops and crashes while playing that are out of nowhere and its really starting to get to me. I have been playing for a while with my lvl 71 mage on Lordaeron and this started to happen only since last week. Would appreciate any kind of help. Thanks in advance.

2. If you are in Northrend, especially Borean Tundra, that's a problem with the server and there's nothing you can do about it.

3. Google "Large Address Aware" utility and apply it to wow.exe.

4. Google "Large Address Aware" utility and apply it to wow.exe.
    Won't entirely fix FPS issue, but it will prevent the game from crashing when that occurs.

5. Google "Large Address Aware" utility and apply it to wow.exe.
    You seriously should stop about this. Every post open in this section, whatever is the probleme , someone post that thing.

Futhermore when wow/window is able de to it by itself, when it need.

6. You seriously should stop about this. Every post open in this section, whatever is the probleme , someone post that thing.
    Because it usually helps? And even if it won't help, doing it won't hurt either.

7. Because it usually helps? And even if it won't help, doing it won't hurt either.
    Unless you think time is money. Then it hurts.

Large Address Aware is the solution to the client crashing with WoD models, and that's all. It won't help with crashes without WoD models (because the vanilla client does not get out of memory) and it definitely does not help with brief freezes (because when a program gets out of memory it does not freeze, it just crashes).

8. I'm using wotlk models and it helped me, since i had crashes, especially in dalaran. So yeah, here goes your theory.

9. Must be a server-side issue. I haven't had a single crash and I'm not using that patch though.

10. Large Address Aware is the solution to the client crashing with WoD models, and that's all.
    Nope. Applied to a clean wotlk client with no addons - no more freezes/crashes. FPS issues may occur, but this is DX9 game running on windows 10 and 2020 hardware.

because the vanilla client does not get out of memory
    Even with no addons installed, 25 man raids and heavily populated zones can easily make the client demand more memory than it can actually address.

because when a program gets out of memory it does not freeze, it just crashes.
    That's not true. It does freeze. Whether it crashes or not depends on it being able to address memory and complete the operation. Also, the way a program is coded plays a role in this situation.

Large Address Aware is like a must for anyone running the wotlk client and experiencing hanging/crashes. Beyond that it's hardware/OS/drivers/background processes.

11. Well, this is not a scientific study, I can only say I have not applied the patch and I have never had the client crash, despite having spent considerable time in Dalaran, Alterac Valley, etc. It makes sense that other users have the same experience. It does not make sense for Blizzard not to release a 64-bit client if it was necessary. (As far as I remember, the first 64-bit client was released with the latest patch of Cataclysm)

Additionally, applications very rarely do freeze when they get out of memory, they just crash. It is a regular pattern to have a wrapper for malloc that calls abort when a malloc call fails. But now that I think of it, an application could choose to, instead, do an aggressive pass of its garbage collection system, which could cause a freeze while it runs. I should check if the constant freezes around Valiance Keep occur if I patch my executable.

12. Before I applied LAA patch, I used to get FPS drops to 1-5 FPS, UI would disappear, water textures would disappear, and sometimes crash as well. After applying the patch, that didn't happen anymore. Now what FPS drops I get, the FPS drops to 10-20, but won't crash. That's only over the notorious areas where FPS drops are an issue to everybody(?).

So the way I see it, LAA helped me with crashing, it can help others as well. WoD client or not.

13. Before I applied LAA patch, I used to get FPS drops to 1-5 FPS, UI would disappear, water textures would disappear, and sometimes crash as well. After applying the patch, that didn't happen anymore. Now what FPS drops I get, the FPS drops to 10-20, but won't crash. That's only over the notorious areas where FPS drops are an issue to everybody(?).

So the way I see it, LAA helped me with crashing, it can help others as well. WoD client or not.
    So your wow is heavily mod. Because wow/OS are able to directly acces 4G of ram. If you need more than 4G for an old game (2007 or 2008 doesnt remember), just no.
    Futhermore this "solution" was fine in the same era due to the new tech of 64bit. So what 's the effect of this on a window 10. (If you don't know OS manage the memory). I don't know but i guess not a lot of problems because people have more than 8G. Even on the first topic there are some problems reported. That was in window 7, vista, and the beginning of 8.

For information my woltk with addons eat, 800 MO at dalaran full of people. If you are do ****ty thing with your computer, it's your problems but don't thing it "the solution" even when the thread say my monitor bug.

Window is poorly design, when it's come to manage ram it a disaster. Look at how many theat run, how many cache, ....
    Edited: September 21, 2020