1. Gearing up on Lordaeron

Hey there,

I might simply missing some information, so I hope to get them here. How are you guys gearing up?

Sure, when you're fresh 80 you do some dungeons to get lvl 80 gear, jump into heroics until you can queue for POS/FOS/HOR, farm every 219/232 piece usefull for your spec, farm some emblems of triumph and get very 245 item suited for you. And then what?

A full set of ilvl 245 items will get you to 5.4k GS. Which is too low to get on any RS or ICC, meaning we are stuck doing VOA to improve our gear. If you're unlucky you won't get a single piece from VOA in weeks.

Doing random heroics, weekly raid quest and VOA10+25 provide 23 emblems of frost per week. That's still around 2,5 weeks for one cheap T-piece and around 4 weeks for an expensive item.

Is it just a long grind to finally get into a GS range where you can join public raids? I understand raids are buffed on lordaeron, but it seems to me that there's a gap between those raids, meaning once you have full gear from the previous raid (TOC25), you are still not able to advance.

Is the answer simply "raid with your guild"? I prefer raiding with my guild, but since we are a rather small guild, there's not always a spot in 10 mans and I would like to improve my gear in between to contribute more to my guild's raiding. I kind of feel stuck and am desperately trying to close the gap between 5.4 and 5.6k, so I'd be able to join some more public raids.

Any suggestions except "spend insane amounts of gold on the AH" are welcome!

2. what I do for a new alt is:
    get/make all BoEs I can (ICC trash, profession pants and boots, boss BoEs where appliccable)
    farm POS/FOS/HOR for items to get rid of blues and get everything to 232+
    join guild runs of Ony, VoA and Ulduar to rake in emblems until I have t9 pieces

after that, it's grinding icc10 (4 boss or more if you're lucky) and rdfs for emblems of frost until I have my needed t10 pieces

after all of that... it's probably been about 2-3 months since fresh 80... you should be around 5.7k or 5.8k and can potentially join some icc25 runs

guilds may take in guildies with slightly less gear than officially required to raids, so your timeline can speed up significantly if you're in a good guild

3. So you basicly close the gap by spending tons of gold on BoEs (assuming we don't get lucky enough to drop them while farming ICC rep). Okay, I hoped there was another way, but I guess I will have to not only grind for emblems, but also for gold.

Thanks for your reply!

4. I typically make upwards of 10k gold just by doing Argent Tournament dailies until my character's race title and by Loremaster of Northrend after I hit level 80... but you probably don't have to go that far... an easy way to make gold is get mining and sell ores on auction house

5. 5.4 is not too low for ICC. It's too low for ICC 25.

There is plenty you can do at 5.4. ICC 10, ToC, Uld.

Most importantly, join a guild that has a raid slot for the content you can do with your gear. Or you could recruit people to your current guild to build an ICC 10 group. If you can't find a raid group that suits your needs, start your own.

It also really is not that expensive to buy many of the 264 ilvl BoE's. A few specific items such as Blood Queen's necklace is more rare so it has a higher price.

There's usually only 1-2 264 ilvl items suitable for each spec anyway, so that's not an insane amount of gold even if you buy each BoE for your spec. Also buy the Dalaran Ring for your spec. That gets you a 251 ilvl ring. Farm ICC stairs for rep to get the 264 ilvl ring for your spec.

6. I checked the AH. I'm playing a priest;

BoE Shoulders are cheap (500g). Tailoring Boots+Pants are 15k, the BoE healer Ring another 7.5k. That's like 23k gold. We might have a different idea what "not that exepensive" means, since I am not playing the AH.

And yes, you can do ICC10 with 5.4, but people generally look for 5.5/5.6 these days. ToC does give neither better items not emblems of frost, so doesn't improve my gear. The same is true for Ulduar.

Leaves me with running VOA, rhc, weekly and raids with my guild, which is fine really. It's not my goal to complain, but to check if I am missing opportunities to improve my gear. Doesn't seem like I do. Really appreciate you guys took the time to answer my questions. Thanks a lot!

I typically make upwards of 10k gold just by doing Argent Tournament dailies until my character's race title and by Loremaster of Northrend after I hit level 80.
    A typical quest is around 20g reward. That's 500 quests. Assuming each quests takes 5 minutes that's like 41 hours of questing. I already have a fulltime job. Say I play another 3-4 hours per day, that's 2 weeks for 10k. But I need over 20k, so that's 4+ weeks not doing anything but quests. Not doing rhc or raids or weekly's in the meantime. I don't think that's an option for me, sadly :D

7. Regarding the gearing process you're doing everything right.
    People are just lazy so they outgear raids to make them easier. It happened (and it still happens) on retail too.

Btw 5.4k should be enough to do ICC. Some things you could do to have more chances to find a spot:
    1- Try to get into an "alt run" or a late run on mondays or tuesdays, just before reset. Those runs have usually less requirements.

2- If you're confident and you know the tactics just lie. Say you have those 5.5k or 5.6k gs and link that f**king achievement. Most of the time they won't even bother inspecting, especially if you're a healer. And if you're good in your role is a win-win for everyone.

3- [Patient players only] There are many people that are in the same situation as you are. Try to get them to join your guild and try to form a group for ICC25.
    Imho creating a new group, maybe wiping hard 2-3 times before learning the boss and to play as a team is way funnier than outgear the boss by far and faceroll it.

8. honestly, it's not so much about outgearing because of laziness...

if you want to do more than 6 bosses in icc25 you will need more than 5.4k gs to not hit enrage timers

there is also a filter by gear implying filter by skill effect here; a better geared player will typically have had to farm ICC10 and or ICC25 already so they won't be ****ing up on easy mechanics, causing wipes and ultimately threatening to make the raid disband - when achievements can be faked and characters can be sold and bought, a char with shadowmourne and LoD won't necessarily be doing 15k dps, if it's not played by the original player anymore

9. honestly, it's not so much about outgearing because of laziness...

if you want to do more than 6 bosses in icc25 you will need more than 5.4k gs to not hit enrage timers
    They ask more than 5.4k even for 4 bosses run. And I saw 5.6k+ run of VOA10... If they wanted skill they could just ask less gs but ask some questions about raid tactics or classes gameplay.

Beside that, I can understand the "I don't want to wipe on a 10 years old content that I played thousands of time" mentality, but imho wiping is part of the game. If there's no challenge it makes no sense to me.

[but I said that to my guild to and they laughed so I know It's not a popular opinion]
    Edited: September 29, 2020

10. If they wanted skill they could just ask less gs but ask some questions about raid tactics or classes gameplay.
    Do you really expect people to run through interviews for every single member of the 25 man raid team to find out if he knows what he's doing instead of just linking achievement and his gearscore?

11. One question is more than enough

12. Simply put, gearscore is a filter.

Higher gearscore=better chance that player is somewhat experienced/skilled.

13. Try this at your own risk.

First off, we re talking strictly about alts. If you dont have a main, that does have the achievement needed for any of the high end raids ( ICC and RS ) , this might be something you shouldnt do.

1. Get the cheapest BOE that you can get, those include some 264 and some 245 craftables ( they usually go for 2-4k)

2. Fill the offslots with PVP items and off spec items. That means use a tank ring on a retri or a a dps neck on a tank. Your goal is to hit 5k4-5k5.

3. ALWAYS round up your GS to the highest digit. If you are at 5143, you say 5k2 gs.

4. Get a fake achievement addon. If all the above is not controversial enough for ya, this one is. But for the love of GOD, do have the achievement on your main. Some raid leaders WILL accept that you link the achievement from your main before logging back on that alt, some are too focused on that yellow text that no matter what you say or do, you wont get in unless you can link them what they want.
    I know the struggle of a player outside of a guild trying to get into raids with his alts, it is the most brutal experience and people on Lorderon religiously follow the GS+achievement.

5. Try to always arrive at the end, that way everyone will be busy with buffs and asking for kings and fish to not notice.

6. NEVER, and i mean NEVER do the above in a 10 man raid, you can easily get picked up, on the other hand, doing it in a 25 man raid means more room to hide in plain sight.

7. NEVER change your gear unless the pull timer is started, you want people to see you as a 5k5 gs player , not as a 5k2 with the best possible gear that you have access to. Once the encounter is started and you outdps/outheal or even just do your job right, it wont matter that you didnt have achievement or the required gear. Your argument will always be : i did better than a guy with better gear, my spot is justified.

8. Your immediate goal is to grab any piece of gear from the early bosses to allow you to come back without having to fake it. I've been in RS25 that had players with 5k6 gs doing 5k or less dps, and we still got it down, i ve been to icc25 that had no problem doing the first 2 bosses and even did gunship HC.

Sometimes all it takes is 1 or 2 extra pieces to be in any raid asking for 5k4-5k5 , but the road to get there is either too expensive , or filled with deception.

Forget what everyone on here said, i've been in "guilds" that asked for the same GS score as any other random pug and did expose why it is useless to be in such guild if they will ask the same thing as the next pug.

Your definition of a guild that will help you by taking you to icc at 5k or 5k2 gs does NOT exist on lorderon. I repeat, there is no guild that will take you to icc at 5k gs unless you already happen to be a member of one of the top guilds that know you and will gear you up regardless of your GS.

Your best bet on Lorderon is to either play the AH, or play the system. Everyone is using GS pieces to get into raids, be it 245 pvp trinkets , pvp back or neck and everything in between.

The only advice i will however give you is this : If you are going to follow the above steps, you must be good at the game. If you go and stand in the fire while also being undergeared, you can never talk your way out of it.

Warmane wanted a hardcore server, but in truth, it is only a time gated server that stops you from raiding because players cant be bothered to play on a hardcore server and instead prefer to make the difficulty irrelevant by outgearing the content.

14. [...]
    Warmane wanted a hardcore server, but in truth, it is only a time gated server that stops you from raiding because players cant be bothered to play on a hardcore server and instead prefer to make the difficulty irrelevant by outgearing the content.
    Yeah, that's what bothers me. I loved playing on this server back when it was still progressing, not because I love playing that content so much (although I really like some older Raids better), but because people were accepting this as a hardcore server. I still have my characters from back then and people are not accepting them for stuff I already did when I last played (like Ony25, where players want you to have 5k++ gs to join. And I bet they still fail the mechanics. What a joke).

Anyways; While I couldn't and didn't want to follow everything in your post, you made me realize one important thing:

Nobody cares, if the item I am wearing is actually good for my specc. People don't even know what stats are good for my spec and as long as an item has a caster stat and no hit-rating, it's okay if you wear it as healer, even if that ilvl245 piece is worse than the ilvl200 piece I was wearing before. So I made a few adjustments to my gear, replacing items with less ideal items but having a higher average ilvl and now I am at 5.6k gs.

My gear is not really better than before with 5.3k, but people don't care and I am still performing well. So basicly those players want to be cheated.

Simply put, gearscore is a filter.

Higher gearscore=better chance that player is somewhat experienced/skilled.
    I'd argue that gearscore is exactly what it is: A sum of the characters itemlevel. You can still have people using the wrong stat, so their gear is actually not as good as their GS would make you believe and players who still can't follow mechanics. I mean: People fail in Ulduar while in ICC Gear. If that's not a strong indicator for a ****ty system to filter players, what is?

15. I typically make upwards of 10k gold just by doing Argent Tournament dailies until my character's race title and by Loremaster of Northrend after I hit level 80... but you probably don't have to go that far... an easy way to make gold is get mining and sell ores on auction house
    how is doing argent tournament making you 10k gold lol?
    Even if you do daily quests 15 is not enough to get 1k gold lol

12 Last