1. Retail WotLK - the future of the the old infrastructure

With the advent of the retail TBC in the future we can all agree that unless a complete failure, we will see a retail version of WotLK.
    Now, with this in mind,
    * how do you think private servers will adapt?
    * Would it be possible to change all the infrastructure to support a new client? That would bring not only many performance improvements but a renewed API for addons, etc. It's a chance to migrate away from DX9 and its notable bad performance with many particles and objects (which happens very often in WoW).
    * Would it be a huge undertaking or would it just be some API changes (maybe adding a translation layer between the current server and the new client)?
    * Would Warmane invest time into it?

Share your thoughts :-)

2. Interesting you are asking, what i think is that we will get support to the client after its released.
    On core, I think the core and the scripts and the things that are Server side will not change at all, I mean this is the result of 10 years of development. I doubt they'll start from scratch just because of new client supporting DX10/11/12.

I guess they will only have to figure out how to connect to the client, but all it might be is that we'll need to change the realmlist and start playing :)

3. IMO, private servers SHOULD invest time to transfer from old to new retail version of game, because having to adapt to bugs that don't get fixed for monthes is very annoying + stable core will improve raiding experience greatly.

4. IMO, private servers SHOULD invest time to transfer from old to new retail version of game, because having to adapt to bugs that don't get fixed for monthes is very annoying + stable core will improve raiding experience greatly.

As i understand private server emulation like I said you won't see changes in the scripts or the Server side of things. After all this is how things were done in the past 10 years.

Core is not the Client. What blizzard do will be changes to the client, but those changes doesn't mean that bugs will be fixed faster or that the core will become more stable.

5. I'm assuming (and that's why I wrote about the translation layer in the first post) that Blizzard has been changing and improving the API their server and client use to communicate with each other. Pretty sure Warmane has already been improving their Core with more up-to-date standards then it used to be in the time of WotLK and with the new client we would have the same in the client side. So, that'd leave one thing to work on: the communication between client and server. Since the client is obviously not open-source, they'd need to start reverse-engineering the calls the client tries against the server and start working with adapting / creating a translation layer.
    Or, you know, maybe TrinityCore (which IIRC Warmane's core was based on) or CMangos projects will start working on that.

6. I'm assuming (and that's why I wrote about the translation layer in the first post) that Blizzard has been changing and improving the API their server and client use to communicate with each other. Pretty sure Warmane has already been improving their Core with more up-to-date standards then it used to be in the time of WotLK and with the new client we would have the same in the client side. So, that'd leave one thing to work on: the communication between client and server. Since the client is obviously not open-source, they'd need to start reverse-engineering the calls the client tries against the server and start working with adapting / creating a translation layer.
    Or, you know, maybe TrinityCore (which IIRC Warmane's core was based on) or CMangos projects will start working on that.
    I actually believe they are using AzerothCore but I might be totally wrong. Some of the things they implemented i've seen as a modules for AzerothCore.