1. Looking for a computer upgrade, need opinions!

Hi everyone =),

I hope i've posted in the correct part of this forum. As the title suggests I'm looking to upgrade/ buy a new computer. A little about my current computer, I've had it for 9 years now. The only thing I use it for is youtube and world of warcraft. I'm used to around 20-75 fps depending on if I'm out exploring, in a city or dungeon (sometimes my fps goes right down to about 5 during some 25m encounters such as phase 2 on ony25 kek) on lowest graphics settings.
    I'm looking to either upgrade my current system or buy a new one entirely, I can't justify paying anymore than around £700 for a machine that I use almost purely for wow but I'd like to be able to experience the game on the highest settings without having a problem in frame rate.

Current computer specs are as folows:
    Brand: ASUS
    Processor: AMD A6-6400K 3.9ghz with Radeon HD Graphics card integrated
    Processor count: 2
    RAM size: 6gb
    Computer memory type: DDR3 SDRAM
    Memory clock speed: 1600MHz
    Hard disk description: 1tb HDD
    Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 8470D

I think as my computer is so old now i'm better off getting a new system entirely, can I get some good suggestions and links please?

Thank you for your time =)

2. Hi everyone =),

I hope i've posted in the correct part of this forum. As the title suggests I'm looking to upgrade/ buy a new computer. A little about my current computer, I've had it for 9 years now. The only thing I use it for is youtube and world of warcraft. I'm used to around 20-75 fps depending on if I'm out exploring, in a city or dungeon (sometimes my fps goes right down to about 5 during some 25m encounters such as phase 2 on ony25 kek) on lowest graphics settings.
    I'm looking to either upgrade my current system or buy a new one entirely, I can't justify paying anymore than around £700 for a machine that I use almost purely for wow but I'd like to be able to experience the game on the highest settings without having a problem in frame rate.

Current computer specs are as folows:
    Brand: ASUS
    Processor: AMD A6-6400K 3.9ghz with Radeon HD Graphics card integrated
    Processor count: 2
    RAM size: 6gb
    Computer memory type: DDR3 SDRAM
    Memory clock speed: 1600MHz
    Hard disk description: 1tb HDD
    Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 8470D

I think as my computer is so old now i'm better off getting a new system entirely, can I get some good suggestions and links please?

Thank you for your time =)
    Dont buy PC just for WOW its really not a good idea because if you wanna do something else in the future you will have to buy/upgrade again. Also the price difference will not be that much. Keep in mind that even if you have high FPS if you play WOLK and old expansion only, their client are old and not optimized, so there will be some lag regardless. And you really need SSD.

You will have to replace almost anything so at this point you can just buy new one. Dont buy premade PC, pick your parts.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7qmRvf

Something similar to that will run WOW perfectly fine and also pretty much any game on the market ( at lower settings for newer games ofc). In the future you can upgrade individual parts if you wish. CPU price is around 130$, which will make intotal a bit less then 700$ which is your price range. You can also save some $ if you use your old case and power supply, but i really really reccoment you to use new one. Especially power supply with newer parts it can couse stutters and other problems if its the usual **** they put into prebuild PC. You can still use your HDD as extra storage, just make sure your windows and games are installed on the SSD. My personal advide however is to pay 250$ more and get ryzen 5 instead of 3 and 1660 instead of 1650. There will be difference in performance and its better in a long run.

Lastly you should go for some subreddit dedicated to PC and so on and ask for help there. Just say your budged limit and what you want exactly and people will help you out, or take parts i listed and ask how can you improve the build.

Good Luck.
    Edited: November 10, 2020

3. Maybe wait until the Nvidia RTX 3xxx are widely available. Even if you don't want a 3 series video card, there might be some amazing deals around.

4. Depending on the country where you live in the might be more options.

What I consider as relevant in the years to come.
    The new AMD processors - Ryzen 7 3700 seems like a good core (as a long time AMD user)

You can go for a video card something like Nvidia 1080 if your budget isn't that big. The video card will be relevant at least for 3-4 years more.
    Your choice of RAM really depends on the choice of your CPU and the motherboard you choose for it as each Motherboard has a list of compatible Rams.

I noticed you are from the UK as you referred to 700 brit currency is that correct, if yes i can try to make you a build around that money as a reference.

I also have big respect for intel so this isn't a bad suggestion too:

Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6GHz Octa Core LGA1151 CPU £277.97
    MSI Z390-A PRO Motherboard ATX, £99.99
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 £64.95

This sounds like a solid base as someone who have played a bit on I7 9700k

Power supply is just for reference (that's what i would use):
    Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 Power Supply Unit 750W ATX Black - Power Supply Units (750W, 100-240V, 50/60Hz, 6-12A, Active, 100W)

So that leaves you with Video card and PC box to complete your set up.

As I said those are only options, depending on your budged you can change parts.
    Most important for me is to pick a CPU and a motherboard that work well together, from there you build up the rest, you got a list for compatible rams
    Edited: November 17, 2020

5. Just go new and cheap without the overkill. You sound like you're trying to get a 12-gauge to go rabbit hunting. There are cheap laptops out there that are more than enough to run a 15+ year old game that hasn't become more hardware-dependent in its lifetime.

I for one just bought a mini-tower PC (quad core, SSD drive) and a 27 inch monitor, along with a wireless combo keyboard and mouse, for a total of about 300 bucks (American). Gutted the RAM from my old laptop (16 gig DDR3) and put it in my new machine. There's really nothing my computer can't do insofar as WoW (or a lot of other things too).

6. I for one just bought a mini-tower PC (quad core, SSD drive) and a 27 inch monitor, along with a wireless combo keyboard and mouse, for a total of about 300 bucks (American). Gutted the RAM from my old laptop (16 gig DDR3) and put it in my new machine. There's really nothing my computer can't do insofar as WoW (or a lot of other things too).
    This is such a good idea, you'll have left over money after all :)

7. This is such a good idea, you'll have left over money after all :)
    I'm one of the most frugal people alive. If there's a way to do something on the cheap, I know it and probably have done it before.

I suppose it could be even cheaper just getting all the pieces separately, but I'm not quite gifted enough in hardware to build a computer from the floor up.

8. Only downside i see is that the PC case might not fit a good Video card, as those office computers come in such small boxes (I have one at work, no way it can hold even a 1060, imagine the newer ones)

9. he said, he used his old laptop's ram (ddr3) in his new computer. That's a matter.

First because it's impossible to fit SO DIMM RAM on a normal motherboard.
    Second it's impossible to use ddr3 on "new" computer because they use ddr4 and they are not compatible.

Ddr4 was fully release on every computer in 2014.

So if you are able to use SO dimm ddr3 on your "new" computer, it's only because it's must be older than 2014, futhermore a laptop base.

Ryzen 3 is not the last gen, amd release ryzen 5XXX. Nvidia/ intel lie in most of their announces.

Don't buy anything because nvidia and amd release new graphic card, cpu. Due to so many request most are out of stock (nvidia special) and the price rise, cumulate with scalper who bought stock and sell it even highter.

10. he said, he used his old laptop's ram (ddr3) in his new computer. That's a matter.

First because it's impossible to fit SO DIMM RAM on a normal motherboard.
    Second it's impossible to use ddr3 on "new" computer because they use ddr4 and they are not compatible.

Ddr4 was fully release on every computer in 2014.

So if you are able to use SO dimm ddr3 on your "new" computer, it's only because it's must be older than 2014, futhermore a laptop base.

Ryzen 3 is not the last gen, amd release ryzen 5XXX. Nvidia/ intel lie in most of their announces.

Don't buy anything because nvidia and amd release new graphic card, cpu. Due to so many request most are out of stock (nvidia special) and the price rise, cumulate with scalper who bought stock and sell it even highter.
    I bought it on Amazon so it probably was not "fresh out the box" new. Also, mini-towers use the same mini-stick SODIMM format as laptops. It probably wasn't made in 2020 because I'm sure it would've used DDR4.

11. I made some research and yes a bit of itx motherboard take So-DIMM instead of 280 pins. A bit weird but anyway i learn something so i'm happy.

I'm not here to said your computer suck. The first thing is if your computer is able to run what you want and you feel good with it. It's fine.

12. @OP

I've built a system to the 700 pound budget you had, which is right under 1000 USD.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M8wxfP

You'll be able to run modern WoW and literally any other game @1080p max settings, if you overclock the graphics card a bit you'll be able to get a marked improvement in performance in other demanding titles. Also, you'll be using this for years to come, this is purely based on the fact that you have an ancient system and it hasn't blown up yet. lol.

1) Processor: Ryzen 5 3600 - 6 Core 12 Thread (Overclocking this is not worth it at all, you'll get better performance letting it turbo by itself)

2) Cooler - Stock (No Point getting an aftermarket cooler, the ones that come in the box are more than adequate)

3) Ram - 16GB Dual Channel @ 3200. CL 16 (This memory is flexible if you want to overclock it to 3600 which is the recommended max for the majority of Ryzen processors because of the FCLK ratio, makes no sense to get faster RAM it will be literally unusable)

4) Board - B550 Aorus Pro - Great board, good VRMS if you ever decide to put a hungrier CPU in, nice features. QFLASH Plus

5) SSD - ADATA XPG 8200 - Has a DRAM Cache, so won't slow down as the drive gets filled. Basically a 970 Evo Plus. 600TBW

6) GPU - Sapphire RX 5600 XT - Literally the best for 1080p gaming, it does not make sense to get a faster card or something more expensive to game at 1080p. Great overclocker for a marked performance increase. Sapphire cards are binned well.

7)Power Supply - 750W Seasonic Focus Gold - Seasonic power supplies are solid, 10 year warranty, fully modular, excellent customer service, have yet to have one fail on me. I would not recommend getting anything else.

It's a really well rounded system. If you have any questions you can DM me. :)
    Edited: November 26, 2020 Reason: Clarity